• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Setting up a real-time with pause system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi!

I would like to have a "real-time with pause" system in my map/campaign where the player can pause the game, issue commands for units, and then unpause the game after that. So I'm thinking something in the vein of Baldur's Gate and the like. To me it seems like this game engine should easily support this kind of gameplay.

So far I haven't had much luck with this one. The closest I've come to this can be seen in the attached image.

I've tried multiple ideas here, but none of them have been successful:
  • Pausing an unit sets it into its default animation (which looks quite glunky and it probably stops an ongoing attack swings) and prevent issuing commands to it while it's in this state.
  • Using the literal pause game action isn't helpful since it prevents me from issuing commands to the units while the game is paused.
  • For some baffling reason there isn't a "zero speed" option for game speed. Maybe some custom scripting could achieve this? If it would be possible to set the game speed to zero, I'm certain that it would achieve the effect I'm looking for.

Another annoying thing is that the "player pressed key" event only enables mapping to the four arrow keys. Obviously the space bar key would be preferable here.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 58
Level 7
If you want to issue orders while pausing the game, you can use "SetUnitX and SetUnitY" and move them constantly to their exact location for example like every 0.03 during the pause time. However you still need to do a lot of things tho, like disarming units and using waits to make them cast their abilities after unpause which requires to you code your whole spells, instead of creating them on object editor.

Level 1
If you want to issue orders while pausing the game, you can use "SetUnitX and SetUnitY" and move them constantly to their exact location for example like every 0.03 during the pause time. However you still need to do a lot of things tho, like disarming units and using waits to make them cast their abilities after unpause which requires to you code your whole spells, instead of creating them on object editor.
That sounds quite horrible. Isn't there really no way to set the game speed to something slower than the "slowest"?

Status
Not open for further replies.