• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sentinel-based Ability Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I am creating a Hero ability based off of the Sentinel ability. I was wondering, is there a possible way to edit the duration of the effect on trees? I tried unit and Hero duration and none seemed to work. Also, is there no possible way to edit the effect of the translucent owl that appears over the targeted tree? Say, I wanted to use the Mana Flare animation instead, how would I go about doing so?

Level 11
Look under ability --> Art ---> Any model files
If you don't see that model listed there, check buffs or effects the ability has. Also if you really want to change the duration, you'll probably have to make a new ability using triggers and a dummy ability.

Level 18
Look under ability --> Art ---> Any model files
If you don't see that model listed there, check buffs or effects the ability has. Also if you really want to change the duration, you'll probably have to make a new ability using triggers and a dummy ability.

I forgot to mention that I tried changing the Art for the Effect already. It didn't work. And your answer to my question about duration is discouraging :confused:

Level 11
I'm sorry you found it discouraging. It was meant to point you down a new direction. I'll try looking into it. The animation you change only effects them missile you fire at the tree. Looking into it further...
Figured it out! As I said before, look at the effects the spell has. It has one effect, 'Sentinel' (under Night Elf) this effect has the model which is the model used above the tree. And I still haven't determined how to make the effect last longer/shorter.

Level 11
I'm confused, did this solve your problem?

By effect, I didn't mean special effect, I meant the type of effect listed under the 'Buffs/Effects' tab of the object editor.

To change the model of the effect, double click 'Art - Target' and select the model you want.

Level 7
The duration thing is impossible as far as I can see. I can designate a small trigger for you to use though as long as you have a certain ammount of gui knowledge:

Event: Generic unit casts a spell.
Condition: Spell cast = to sentinel (new spell)
Actions:
-Wait (set ammount of time or use an arithmatic here if different levels make it last longer)
-Kill target doodad of ability being cast
-Revive target doodad

Level 18
That could work, Blood, but it could create unwanted effects of the tree dying and quickly being revived. I haven't checked though and perhaps it would not, considering the two occur instantaneously.

Yes, Wd40bomber7, I meant the Buff/Effect the entire time. Not a special effect. Sadly your answer did not help :|. It's okay though.

Level 11
Why didn't it help? It works perfectly. It changes the model. I successfully added the mana flare model over the tree. I don't understand how that wasn't what you were looking for.

Level 7
Humm, i got an idea. those owl things dont need to have a dead tree for them not to be on, the tree just needs to sustain damage (a ghoul hit, perhaps?). Instead of destroying it do this:

old triggers:
actions: Create dummy unit at position of tree
make dummy unit attack tree.
remove dummy unit.
reset tree hp to 100%

From my past knowledge, you can't unless using handy dandy triggers.

• Senitel
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability Being Cast) Equal to (Senitel)
    • Actions
      • Set Var1 = Target Destructable of Ability Being Cast
  • --- This may not be an actual function, all of this is freehand ---
    • Set Dloc = Position of (Var1)
    • Special Effect - Create <path> at Dloc
    • Set SFX = Last created special effect
  • --- I forgot how to use visibility modifiers and I forgot the function so your --
  • --- On your own for this one... ---
    • Trigger - Turn on RemoveOnDestroy
    • Wait <Duration>
    • Special Effect - Destroy SFX
    • Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Dloc)
    • --- Destroy the visibility modifier ---
This allows you to set the duration of it and change the model.

But if the tree is destroyed, the senitel will be gone.

• RemoveOnDestroy (Disabled)
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.1 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If Var1 is dead Equal to True then
        • Special Effect - Destroy SFX
        • Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Dloc)
        • Trigger - Turn off (This Trigger)
        • --- Destroy the visibility modifier ---
      • Else - Actions
Something like that. This will make sure that the senitel will be removed if the tree is destroyed.

Use that as a basis, that is probably the best way to go because this is not tested.

Level 7
just follow the dummy unit attacking thing, which would probably work im guessing, because as far as I can see ( in ladder games) a simple peon or peasent tap to a tree with an owl removes it completely, even if the tree doesnt die.
If you know anything about dummy units, youll use the model INIT and flying movement for one.

Level 18
just follow the dummy unit attacking thing, which would probably work im guessing, because as far as I can see ( in ladder games) a simple peon or peasent tap to a tree with an owl removes it completely, even if the tree doesnt die.
If you know anything about dummy units, youll use the model INIT and flying movement for one.

Yeah I know tons about them. I tried that but for some reason it wouldn't work, so what I did was this. It's ingenious :grin:

• NaturesProtect
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Nature's Protection
    • Actions
      • Custom script: local unit mage = GetTriggerUnit()
      • Custom script: local destructable tree = GetSpellTargetDestructable()
      • Custom script: local integer intelligence = GetHeroStatBJ(bj_HEROSTAT_INT, mage, true)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Nature's Protection for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Hide (Triggering unit)
          • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Custom script: call SetUnitLifeBJ( mage, ( GetUnitStateSwap(UNIT_STATE_LIFE, mage) + ( intelligence / 0.75 ) ) )
              • Wait 1.00 seconds
          • Custom script: call KillDestructable( tree )
          • Custom script: call SetDestructableAnimationBJ( tree, "stand" )
          • Custom script: call DestructableRestoreLife( tree, GetDestructableMaxLife(tree), false )
          • Custom script: call SetDestructableAnimationBJ( tree, "stand" )
          • Custom script: set tree = null
          • Custom script: call ShowUnitShow( mage )
          • Custom script: set mage = null
        • Else - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Nature's Protection for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 2... etc.

It still makes the sound of the tree being killed, but no visual. That's the best it will get I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.