• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Searching Maps problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
I think the formula for Relevancy Factor is not quite right.
I tried searching for different maps but the relevancy factor is not accurate.

By the looks of it, it doesn't rely on
- Download Count (some have higher relevancy factor even at lower download count)
- Download count in the last 31 days (some have higher relevancy factor even at lower download count in the last 31 days)
- Ratings (some have higher relevancy factor even at a lower rating)
- Time Uploaded (some are uploaded later but still relevancy factor is low).

Take a look at the screenshots at the time I was searching maps

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My suggestion is, I think Relevancy Factor should depends more on Download Count (or Download Count in last 31 days) and exact name matching.

Attachments

• proof1.JPG
    proof1.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 178
  • proof2.JPG
    proof2.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 196
  • proof3.JPG
    proof3.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 193
Level 22
I am not aware of the MySQL Full-Text implementation. Apparently you are. What seems to be the problem, really?
I'm also not aware. What I mean is, if you look at the screenshot, the search result is not accurate because even if I put a matching name in the Search Field, it won't give me the right result. For example, I searched Malfurion's Quest but it gives me other result. That is one of the most downloaded map but you can only find it at the bottom of page 1 after typing the exact name in the Search Text box.
What this whole thread means is I think the hive's Search Maps function does not give the best result.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
We can agree that search is not desirable. But you are wrong when you say that search is inaccurate. It is always 100% accurate as its done by a computer. I think however that the real issue at hand is that the search system does not differentiate between title, description and keywords. If the keywords contain the name of a different map, it may in some cases have higher relevance than a map with the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.