• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scavengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Here's a game I came up with after playing a few of the maps on Battle.net. It throws together a few elements but creates a unique almost RPG-like hero arena.

SCAVENGERS

Backstory
After being banished from your home for being a general badguy, you find yourself waking up in a scarred land inhabited by vicious beasts, cruel natives, vengeful spirits and, what's worse, others like yourself.

Gameplay
A hero arena map where players must gather resources and materials in order to craft their gear. Players discover the various recipes as they play the game, since any recipe they can currently complete is revealed in their crafting center. Every piece of gear has a different set of abilities that the player learns as they gain experience with that specific type of gear. Players also gain experience in the different styles of crafting to unlock higher tiers of gear. In short, it's a hero arena map where gameplay is accentuated with specialized resource management without micromanagement being a factor, thus allowing PvP and PvE to remain the focus of the game.

Game Modes
Deathmatch [FDM##]
Kill or be killed. First player to reach ## kills wins.
Team Deathmatch [TDM##]
Cooperate to annihilate the other team. First team to reach ## kills wins.
Slayer [SLY##]
One player starts out as the Slayer. The Slayer scores points by killing other players. Other players can become the Slayer by killing the current Slayer. First player to reach ## points wins.
Hunter [HNT##]
All players start the game with another player as their Prey. Score points by killing your current Prey, but be careful to avoid your current Hunter. Every time you make a kill, you receive a new Prey to hunt. First player to reach ## points wins.
Sandbox [SBX]
Only available in one-player and automatically enabled. No score target, all options enabled.

Options
Balanced
  • If a player is killed five times in a row without making a kill, they respawn with a giant defense buff that eventually wears off.
  • If a player kills five players in a row without being killed, they immediately gain a giant attack debuff that eventually wears off.
Random Events
  • Pirate's Ship
    Pirates land on the bay to deposit their booty and leave.
  • Demonic Summoning
    Dark wizards summon a demon who is in turn slain by a hero.
  • Tribal Warfare
    Two of the three tribes will randomly launch attacks at each other.
  • Dwarven Crash
    A dwarven flying machine will randomly crash, with a chance to leave the pilot alive. He will hide in the plane at night and venture out in the day to gather supplies to fix his flying machine until he can leave.
Ping
When activated, it will ping the location of random events when they occur and at the beginning of their stages, if any.
Show recipes
When activated, shows all recipes by default, regardless of whether or not they can currently be crafted.

Foreseeable Problems
  • Map will be too large for smaller groups.
  • Close off certain sections.
  • Too many variables for individual skills.
  • Condense the skills to their minimum but respect the game style.
  • Map will be too complex for newbs.
  • Make particular elements of the game optional. Create sandbox mode for single-player exploration.

Level 4
And yes, I do want to make this map. I've been working on it a bit here and there in order to learn some map-making techniques but I haven't been able to put them all together yet.

Level 4
So many great ORPG ideas lately, and this is one of them. It looks like you thought of everything way ahead of time, so the concept seems pretty solid. Where did you get the Hunter mode idea? I've never seen that used before in a game.

Only one thing I don't really understand is what the point of the Dwarven Crash event is. Is it the fact that he's picking up all the resources in that area, making it harder for any players around him to find resources to craft equipment with?

Level 4
So many great ORPG ideas lately, and this is one of them. It looks like you thought of everything way ahead of time, so the concept seems pretty solid.

Thanks, I've been working on the concept for a while but the individual ideas are compiled from a few different sources (Werewolf, Assassins, ORPGs, etc).

Where did you get the Hunter mode idea? I've never seen that used before in a game.

To be honest, and I'm not too ashamed to admit it, the Hunter mode was based off of bounty hunting in the Runescape MMORPG. Not too hard to implement and when players get used to it there's a lot of finer aspects, like kill-stealing even though it's not your target to delay somebody else's points.

Only one thing I don't really understand is what the point of the Dwarven Crash event is. Is it the fact that he's picking up all the resources in that area, making it harder for any players around him to find resources to craft equipment with?

I was really reaching for one more event with the Dwarven Crash event, but it has a few pieces to it. While he's there he'll need ore which is a key resource that can only be found in rocks lying around so yes he will be killing resources near him, but players will also be able to destroy both he and his flying machine, yielding special materials to make gear with.

I must admit I'm surprised. This is a really good concept, and I don't say that very often. Keep it up! Let me know if you need any small model edits or help with the terrain, I'd be glad to be of assistance!

Alright, thanks for the kudos and the offers. I will definitely keep you in mind if I run into a bump with either of those, I'm kind of trying to learn some terrain techniques at the moment.

Level 9
Here're some pictures of what I've got so far.

Attachments

• Scavengers_00.jpg
    Scavengers_00.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Scavengers_01.jpg
    Scavengers_01.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Scavengers_02.jpg
    Scavengers_02.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 85
Level 4
Here're some pictures of what I've got so far.

Hey, I hadn't seen this bit in the message you sent me so I'm sorry for not getting on it earlier. It looks awesome, actually it looks pretty epic. Only problem I see is that I'm trying to use The_Flood's Camera System and if those hallways are as narrow as they look it might have a problem going through them.

Then again we shouldn't make the map (especially a well-designed one) confine itself to the restraints of any given system, so if you have another camera system you would recommend I would be happy to hear it, otherwise I might just reconsider the camera altogether.

Level 4
Hey, I hadn't seen this bit in the message you sent me so I'm sorry for not getting on it earlier. It looks awesome, actually it looks pretty epic. Only problem I see is that I'm trying to use The_Flood's Camera System and if those hallways are as narrow as they look it might have a problem going through them.

Then again we shouldn't make the map (especially a well-designed one) confine itself to the restraints of any given system, so if you have another camera system you would recommend I would be happy to hear it, otherwise I might just reconsider the camera altogether.

Hey scratch most of that, the terrain is beautiful. I just learned how easy it is to make a cam system and I'm trying to see if Baintastic would allow us to use his. I'm making a new dev thread as well which you can find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.