• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Scars of Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
upload_2020-9-5_17-18-0.png

After the better part of a decade, the previously hosted project Scars of Conflict (SoC) makes a comeback. Sort of.

History and Summary.png

Scars of Conflict is an old project dating back over ten years. Over the course of this long history it has taken numerous different forms, including an ambitious campaign that aimed to retell the epic story of Warcraft II from both the Horde and Alliance perspectives.​

Later the project morphed into a pure altered melee with more focus on the new factions' techtrees, strategy and great gameplay. At this point the project was also made a hosted project at the Hive. Initial plans were to create two completely new techtrees; one for the Horde and one for the Alliance. Currently only the Horde techtree is within the scope of the project.​

The Original Team.png

upload_2020-8-11_10-14-30.png
LinazeProject founder, coder, designerSemi-active
upload_2020-8-11_10-15-4.png
DeolrinModeler, designerSemi-active
upload_2020-8-11_10-15-30.png
Mr.Goblin2D-artist, terrainer, designerInactive

Main Features.png

• A completely new Orc techtree heavily inspired by the Orcs from Warcraft II.
    • 10 new ground and air units - both memorable classics such as the Troll Axethrower and the Death Knight alongside new units such as the Goblin Ace and Ogre Mauler.
    • 4 new naval units that can traverse large bodies of water, allowing for all sorts of creative strategies for players of all skill levels.
    • Custom abilities and/or stats for all units in the techtree - both ones inspired by Warcraft 2 units and our own designs - meaning every unit has a unique design.
  • Custom maps designed to fit this map's particular gameplay.
    • Maps are designed with naval units in mind. This allows players to raid their enemy with amphibious Goblin War Turtles from an unexpected angle or besiege an enemy expansion with long-range Ogre Juggernaughts, among many other strategies.
    • Every map features at least one "control point" over which players can fight for control. Winning the battle for a control point awards different bonuses to the controlling player.
  • Dozens of custom models, textures and icons made specifically for this project by a number of talented artists.

Gallery.png

22.jpg
30.jpg 33.jpg 38.jpg 11.jpg 16.jpg upload_2020-8-10_13-41-11.png
Ogre Mauler.png Death Knight.png Warlock.png Troll Axethrower.png Juggernaught.png Bandit Mage.png Dragon Roost.png
*Gameplay screenshots from an older build (and before native 16:9 support)

Questions and Answers.png

Q: When will this map be released?
A: When it's ready. It also depends on how much the community is willing to help with testing and providing feedback.

Q: Is SoC compatible with standard blizzard melee?
A: No. SoC is too different from the standard melee gameplay that comparability is impossible to achieve.

Q: But will SoC at least be playable on blizzard ladder maps?
A: Again no. SoC will only be playable on maps that fit the map's gameplay.

Q: What are these key differences between blizzard melee and SoC gameplay?
A: To name a few examples SoC has no heroes, no upkeep and includes naval units, and the maps are designed thereafter.

Q: Will you ever make the Alliance race?
A: Likely no, unfortunately. But a lot of its custom assets are available for download in our resource pack.

Q: Why is unit x different from Warcraft 2?
A: Because SoC is not a recreation of Warcraft 2 but rather draws inspiration from it.

Q: Will oil be included as a third resource?
A: No.

Q: Will there be AI for computer players?
A: Not unless blizzard implements better AI support for naval units.

Techtree Deepdive.png

Please visit the link below to see an overview sheet of the Horde race (hover over an icon to reveal more information):
-Scars of Conflict Horde Techtree Sheet-

Ground Units

Air Units

Naval Units

Peon

Grunt

Axethrower

Mauler

Catapult

Sappers

Death Knight

Warlock

upload_2020-8-19_13-48-59.png
The Peons are the laborers of the Orcish Horde. They harvest resources, construct buildings and repair what's broken.
Attacks land units and trees.
upload_2020-8-19_13-54-41.png
Grunts are brutish orc warriors that make up the bulk of the Horde ground armies.
Attacks land units.
Abilities:
Battle RoarTemporarily increases the movement speed and attack rate of the Grunt, but consumes 50 health with each use.
Though equal in name to the Wc3 unit, Grunts in SoC are lighter units more similar to a Wc3 footman. To compensate for this they cost less resources/supply. Because they are the only cheap and "spammable" melee ground unit, Grunts are expected to make up the frontline of most Orc armies.

To spice them up a bit, they can learn Battle Roar at T2 (essentially Stim Pack), which helps out a great deal with reaching ranged enemies. However because the race is really lacking in healing abilities, the health cost could mean a big risk for the player.
upload_2020-8-19_13-55-21.png
Axethrowers are cunning troll warriors who have learned to hide in plain sight.
Attacks land and air units.
Abilities:
ProwlMakes the Axethrower invisible for a period of time. The effect is broken upon attacking.
Axethrowers are quite typical T1 ranged units in that they deal decent damage but are vulnerable to most everything. They are also one of the best anti-air units available if your opponent is annoying you with Aces or getting Dragons.

The Prowl Ability that is available from T2 allows the Axethrowers to become invisible for a short while which could be used either for harassment or positioning before a big fight. The only detection the opponent has available are Aces (which of course are easily sniped by Axethrowers) which makes this an ability with a lot of potential for creative maneuvering.
upload_2020-8-19_13-55-30.png
Massive Ogre warrior.
Attacks land units.
Abilities:
Demoralizing RoarReduces the damage done by enemy units around the Mauler for a period of time.
Ogre Maulers are the big T3 melee unit of this race. In this sense they are not too different from Wc3's Taurens or Knights. However they are not primarily intended to be trained for their damage output, but rather as part blocker/frontline for squishier units and part "debuffer", in the form of their Demoralizing Roar ability (which is essentially Howl of Terror).

Demoralizing Roar is especially important when facing an enemy army with high dps output, especially since there is no dispel to remove this effect. As this ability does not stack with itself, one or two Mauler(s) in your army can often times be all that you need (similar to the Kodo unit in Wc3)
upload_2020-8-19_13-55-39.png
Long-range siege weaponry.
Attacks land units.
Abilities:
Sinking HooksIncreases the damage done against naval units.
Passive ability.
upload_2020-8-19_13-55-48.png
Suicidal Goblin unit.
Has no normal attack.
Abilities:
DetonateSuicides the Sappers and deals AoE damage.
Concussive MinePlaces a mine at a location. Enemies who trigger the mine are dealt damage and slowed.
Can only be cast once per sapper unit.
Though this unit at its core is essentially a standard Wc3 Sapper (with tweaked stats), we also wanted to add some more flair in the form of an additional ability, namely Concussive Mine. However in order to preserve the unit's primarily intended role/purpose in the techtree (their suicidal attack), the mine ability can only be cast once per Sapper unit.

Sappers deal good damage but are easily killed off in a straight up charge against the opponent's army. One strategy involves attempting to flank the enemy army using Transports loaded with Sappers to reach the enemy back-lines (usually consisting of Axethrowers and/or spellcasters).

Like Sappers in Wc3, SoC Sappers also deal additional damage against buildings, and it is sometimes viable to send a couple of Sappers to blow up an undefended expansion. This is easily countered by one or two towers, however.
upload_2020-8-19_13-55-58.png
The Death Knight is a mounted undead spellcaster born from the fusion of a human corpse and an orcish soul.
Abilities:
Animate Skeleton WarriorRaises a skeleton warrior from a target corpse.
Animate Skeleton ArcherRaises a skeleton archer from a target corpse.
Dark SacrificeSacrifices a target skeleton unit to increase the attack rate of other skeleton unit in the vicinity.
TornadoSummons a tornado at the target location that reduces movement speed and attack rate of enemies in the area.
The SoC Death Knight is thematically based off of the unit from Wc2, and has spells directly inspired by that game's Raise Dead and Tornado.

In a nutshell, Death Knights are a relatively weak unit in terms of overall stats but have good snowballing potential as the skeletons they raise do not expire but remain on the map until killed or sacrificed. The DK can also choose whether to raise melee or ranged skeletons, depending on the composition of the enemy army.

The idea behind Dark Sacrifice which kills of one of your skeletons to buff the others is that it's a trade off between amassing skeleton units and making the most use of the ones you already have.

Tornado, the third of the DK's ability spawns a tornado that greatly reduces the speed of units around it and is useful against both charging and retreating enemies. It is a channeled ability however.
upload_2020-8-19_13-56-9.png
Orcish spellcaster imbued with demonic powers.
Abilities:
Demonic FlamesIncreases the damage done by normal attacks but drains mana with each use.
Abate ManaDrains health from a friendly unit to restore mana.
Felfire RainCalls down waves of felfire, dealing damage to enemy units in the area.
Warlocks are spellcasters that are more or less solely focused on damage dealing. Both their first and third abilities deal pure damage (against a single target or in an AoE) whereas their second ability is used to restore mana to fuel the other two.

Because of their high damage output, Warlocks are a good addition to most armies, but also die quickly if exposed to piercing damage due to their unarmored armor type.

In an effort to balance the warlock, their downside is overall weakness without mana, which is also lower than that of Death Knights. Abate Mana can be used to replenish the Warlocks' mana, but does so by draining health from a friendly unit, meaning it could come at a high price, given that the race lacks healing available in battle.

Ace

Dragon

upload_2020-8-19_13-50-41.png
Aces are light and swift goblin aircrafts.
Attacks air units and buildings.
Abilities:
Radar ScanReveals invisible targets around the Ace.
Aces are T2 air units that are cheap and quick to produce. They also move around quickly, making them ideal for scouting in the mid-game, especially in areas that are otherwise only reachable by sea.

However the Ace has limited attack capabilities, and only attacks other air units and buildings. The latter can be used to attack enemy expansions, but because this attack has siege damage it's not at all effective against towers which don't have fortified armor. One use however is denying enemy expansions as they are being constructed or at least before there are towers (especially on islands).

Another aspect of the Ace is their ability to reveal invisible units which is handy when facing Prowling Trolls or an opponent who has riddled me battlefield with Concussive Mines.

upload_2020-8-19_13-53-12.png
Heavy flying beast.
Dragons are the Frost Wyrms of this race - heavy T3 flying unit that wreaks havoc to most enemy ground units.

They are, however, only available in the later stages of the game, and even then cost a lot of in terms of resources and supply. In addition, they are produced from Dragon Roosts (which are limited to one per Great Hall) meaning even if a player has been able to hoard resources, he will not be able to easily spam an entire control group of Dragons quickly.

To counter Dragons, a player generally needs a decent amount of Axethrowers and/or Goblin Aces, which are both relatively cheap and quick to produce.

Transport

Destroyer

War Turtle

Juggernaught

upload_2020-8-19_13-51-0.png
Slow but sturdy ship able to transport friendly units across the sea.
Has no attack.
upload_2020-8-19_13-53-26.png
Swift Troll vessel.
upload_2020-8-19_13-53-42.png
Amphibious melee unit.
Attacks land units.
Abilities:
Disabling ShotReduces the armor, movement speed and attack rate of enemy mechanical unit.
upload_2020-8-19_13-54-0.png
Gargantuan orcish ship. Heavy and long-ranged but slow to maneuver.
Attacks land units.

State of the Project.png

Currently the Orc race is fully playable (and testing is occasionally performed) and undergoing balance tweaking/bug fixing. Most (if not all) models, textures and icons for this race are also completed.

There are currently two maps made, "(2)Perenolde's Crossing" and "(4)Frozen Islands" that are both more or less ready (sans some cosmetic touches) for the upcoming release.

Overall we are more or less ready to release something for the public. But to feel comfortable in doing so, we would like to perform some further testing to iron out any last issues or bugs. Feel free to volunteer if you'd like to help out (just post in this thread or write me a PM).​

Final Notes.png

As I mentioned above this project was at one point hosted here at the Hive, and there's tons of information available at our (now archived) forums at the link below. There you'll also find a resource pack containing all our custom resources:
Scars of Conflict Forum

Last edited:
Level 24
Heck yeah baby! 2020 is Old Dead Mods year!

You guys were doing great work in the 2010's, and I can't wait to see more. : )
Thanks! Hopefully we'll actually release something publicly this time around. :)
Glad to see people bringing back old projects :D (including myself)

I remember Scars of Conflict from Wc3Campaigns :) Good project!
Thanks Archian - that Draenei map/campaign of yours looked really neat, I was sad to see it in your unfinished projects thread.

--

Small update:
I updated the first post a bit with a new section under "Techtree deepdive" with more actual information on each unit.

Level 1
Oh yeah baby, i like it :D

It's great to see progress after so many years.

I wish you good luck with this business and will look forward to the release:thumbs_up:

Level 48
SoC is still alive, at least in our hearts. Will we see a release at some point? I sure hope so. Can I promise anything personally? Not at this moment.
If any of you are interested in BETA testing with me and Linaze, that could speed up the process of development. I can't promise anything (timetables or even that we will actually hold sessions at all even if there is active interest) but the biggest issue right now with development (besides lack of time) is the need to test strategy and balance for the Orc race against itself.

What patch the map is primarily aimed on?

The map is not optimized for Reforged yet and for now I believe the aim is to release on an older version, although I don't think optimizing for the latest version will be too much of a big deal. No HD models though, that's not happening with all the custom art we've put into this (classic version).

Level 24
Deolrin summarized the state of things well, but let me just emphasize that the reason you're not seeing a ton of updates in this thread is not because either of us are particularly lazy - the map is simply mostly done in its current state except for testing/balancing and bug-fixing.

When soft-reviving this project by opening a new thread I was hoping to spark even the slightest of interest in the community and potentially even find some people to test with. Half a year has passed since and I would say the results are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.