• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scariest Game Franchise

Scariest game series? Please do not complain about the game choices

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Dead Space, mostly because I've only played Dead Space, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead and F.E.A.R (the first one) out of that list. I didn't really find Dead Rising or L4D scary at all and F.E.A.R was abit too predictable and jumpy. Dead Space on the other hand had a pretty creepy atmosphere, altought it too had a bit too many jump scares.

Level 20
None of games are actually scary I just happen to jump of my chair when something pops to my screen while I have no lights on. Its rather "OMGWTF" things that piss me off. Like in HL2 I was just hitting boxes with my crowbar and then headcrab jumped from the box even thought they dont even look more scary than overhyped crabs.

Level 15
Left 4 Dead isn't scary, its damn hilarious while the Resident Evil franchise loses its focus on horror and eventually shift to action. Now Dead Space is going to make a sequel with multiplayer, so we are really expecting less horror and more action. Sometimes I wish horror games remain horrifying.

Level 16
None of them are scary. I have a different scary game for you guys

Doom 3
fail.... doom 3 is not scary at all....

I just finished Penumbra Overture. THIS is a scary game. At the and I had to kill my only ally/friend :S and that end... I just shat myself. My little pinky soul just got ruined.

Another one: Thief 3 Deadly Shadow - The Shalebridge Cradle map is so scary.
AAAAaaaand: Condemned - Haven't played it yet but what I've seen on pictures...

Level 6
Doom 3 was boring. It was cool for like eight or nine hours, and then just got dull. And I got lost all the time, they really need a map in there.

I voted for FEAR, although that wasn't necessarily scary as you could pretty much figure out when something happens because there is a sudden lull in combat.

And I agree, Condemned was pretty good. I think it was more intense and anxiety-inducing than scary though.

Level 5
For me, Fatal Frame has overwhelming atmosphere and personally terrifying enimies, which you fight off with a camera of all things. The game just gets under your skin, much like how j-horror films work.

F.E.A.R. and its sequel gave me some jump moments, which usually don't happen. Its hard to remember to be scared, though, when you go around vomiting bullets at everything that moves(and at some stationary targets as well.)

Doom 3 showed me how fun it is to play around in the dark. For me, making interiors pitch black is a cheap and effective way of creating atmosphere. To shoot things. I suppose its scary moments come from having enemies spawn from everywhere, making you pretty frickin paranoid and pretty fricken claustrophobic. If you think doom 3 isnt scary at all, you obviously don't think very much.

Dead Space had me more fearful of running out of ammunition than anything else. I enjoyed the sci-fi aspect though.

Penumbra: Overture was quite silly and sometimes annoying. Most enemies could be thrown into ragdoll submission by throwing handy objects at them, and then beat to death with your hammer/pickaxe/broomstick. The ending was predictable, not a whole lot of creativity into that. The chemisty puzzle early in the game was completely uneducated, though.

Its spiritual successor, Amnesia the dark descent, had a stronger and more driving setting and storyline, but I'm not a fan of sitting in dark corners waiting for the "bad things" to pass, creatures who look like they should and are wearing paper bags over their heads, except the paper bags are made of flesh. I dunno, you'd think that some dude who could smash through slightly weakened stoned walls and wooden pillars with his bare hands could find a weapon to be a match for something with malformed and supposedly dangerous hands. I suppose if the developers implemented combat at all, it'd be as flawed as in Penumbra(so instead of fixing it, they removed it entirely.)

Resident Evil was too tedious for me to really get into. Some quality scares though when you go into a first person viewpoint to open doors, and occasionally get a savory suprise. I consider REmake to be one of the better parts of my gamecube collection.

The thing was a game I enjoyed playing. I don't know if I can really consider it terrifying though.

Condemned was like F.E.A.R. minus guns(guns aren't supposed to be primary weapons), plus detective work. The second installment wasn't as fresh as the first.

I havent played Silent Hill or Forbidden Siren as much as I'd like to, and while Silent Hill looks like a different flavor of Resident Evil, Forbidden Siren looks like a real good play.

My suggestions?

Ao Oni. I believe it is japanese for "blue demon." Its like final fantasy, except you don't fight and just run away from a giant blue thing that wants to eat your head. A Widget thing, and worth playing. Its freeware, but good luck trying to find up-to-date english patches.

Eversion. Its a freeware game, a platformer that plays like Mario. Try it.

System shock is a classic.

The Path. Indie game. postmodern retelling of the old tale of Red Riding hood. Manages to be quite unsettling despite the lack of a single enemy whatsoever. The closest thing to anything hostile is a stuffed dog in your grammy's house.

Clive Barker's Undying. FPS with few supernatural powers at your disposal, against a host of supernatural creatures. Some really unsettling moments. Play it, then complain.

Amnesia isn't a franchise... yet.

Whatever the thread is supposed to be about, people are really here to talk about scary games. It doesn't much matter if they've spawned many and progressively degenerative sequels, or are toted by bigshot videogame distributers as franchises.

None of games are actually scary I just happen to jump of my chair when something pops to my screen while I have no lights on. Its rather "OMGWTF" things that piss me off. Like in HL2 I was just hitting boxes with my crowbar and then headcrab jumped from the box even thought they dont even look more scary than overhyped crabs.

I consider a game "scary" where there are points in the game where I absolutely dread to traverse, for no discernable reason. Everyone has differing ideas as to what horror is though, I suppose.

Last edited:
Level 6
The very first Resident Evil because the graphics are soooooo old I cant even describe it...... It looks horrifically TERRIBLE and still scares the shit out of me. Not even Dead Space or others can.....

I Have not tried Penumbra yet. Maybe i should.

P/S Does any one thinks that the normal zombie in L4D look cute?

Level 30
3d graphic horror games doesn't amuse me anymore, maybe because I already encountered real dead/ghost people or I'm just one crazy orc.

the only frightening game I've ever played was hotel626 and asylum626, its not that scary but I hope it can be a part of scary games.

Level 27
I think the impact of a horror game comes from the element of suprise and then not the cliché suprise but just when you really don't expect it... overall weirdness could also be nice and offcourse a lot of dramatic lightning etc. and atmosphere which probably the most important, an eerie atmosphere. And... gore, extremly weird and overthe top gore at the most awkward moments... someone make this now! =p

Level 11
I think the impact of a horror game comes from the element of suprise and then not the cliché suprise but just when you really don't expect it... overall weirdness could also be nice and offcourse a lot of dramatic lightning etc. and atmosphere which probably the most important, an eerie atmosphere. And... gore, extremly weird and overthe top gore at the most awkward moments... someone make this now! =p

True, True, a really nice unexpected surprise moment would be when you are walking on a hallway near windows and then you stare at the windows and then out of no where a freak ass ugly monster jumps on the window :grin:

Level 6
Can't say i find any of the games on the list pretty scary, but they serve as great horror games.
Haven't played alot of games in the genre, but one outside that i think is really scary is the thief series.

How?

Status
Not open for further replies.