• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SC2] Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
It's not Warcraft III, but Starcraft II. I make playable terrains for my projects and wish HWS would support SC2 more than it currently does, here's some screenshots of terrain and more that I work on. Feel free to share feedback, or hate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot2020-10-26_18_58_58.jpg
    Screenshot2020-10-26_18_58_58.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 177
  • Terrain 106.jpg
    Terrain 106.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Terrain 167.jpg
    Terrain 167.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Terrain_326.jpg
    Terrain_326.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Terrain_370.jpg
    Terrain_370.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Terrain_371.jpg
    Terrain_371.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Terrain_372.jpg
    Terrain_372.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 133
  • lolol12.gif
    62.6 MB · Views: 18
  • Terrain 179.jpg
    Terrain 179.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Terrain 180.jpg
    Terrain 180.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 111
Level 8
Maybe. I partially don't agree. SC2Maptser and related sites are relatively dead. I grew up with Hive, also tried terraining and mapping at a younger age as well still with Hive. I'm associated with Mapster anyways, but eh, good luck with any exposure. If anything I'd like to push to Hive that SC2 is a good environment to work with. I just wish it had as much of a footprint that WC3 had.

Level 8
Appreciate it. What if I told you that those sphere structure platforms you can actually walk on top of? The hangar/garage area is for a WIP Third-Person Deception project.

Movement Test Video w/ other players (not really legitimate gameplay, just screwing around) on the Hangar/Garage area map

The person who uploaded the video is playing on the lowest SC2 settings.

Last edited:
Level 18
Galaxy Editor is clearly superior but its version of object edit seems overly complicated and has a huge learning curve. I really wish Hive supported SC2 tho. Who cares what sc2mapster is doing.

Level 8
I agree it has a huge learning curve to those who aren't used to it but it's not really as complicated as it seems. It's pretty simple and easy to use, but it's the learning curve that pushes people away. You can practically do just about anything with it, no exaggeration. It just takes a lot of practice to figure out then once you actually figure it out its a lot more simple than it actually appears to be.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@Blackveiled if you have anything more StarCraft II related you want to share with us, don't hesitate.
I for one, still have the game and would love to try stuff now and then. Only downside is that the game doesn't have a custom campaign feature, not that the latest Warcraft III has anymore either though. Another nuisance is being online to play custom maps. But it's OK in the end. I just don't like those complicated mods that require you to do more stuff than just run the maps through the game, or those which require running them through the editor.

Also, don't feel uninspired due to lack of others interest. Do your thing if it has meaning for you.

Level 8
@Blackveiled if you have anything more StarCraft II related you want to share with us, don't hesitate.
I for one, still have the game and would love to try stuff now and then. Only downside is that the game doesn't have a custom campaign feature, not that the latest Warcraft III has anymore either though. Another nuisance is being online to play custom maps. But it's OK in the end. I just don't like those complicated mods that require you to do more stuff than just run the maps through the game, or those which require running them through the editor.

Also, don't feel uninspired due to lack of others interest. Do your thing if it has meaning for you.

I appreciate it :)

Also, I'm pretty sure custom campaign support was added in the last update honestly. I don't make custom campaigns but there was a feature added separating campaigns and arcade maps and you can switch from map->map with the feature as well. I believe they came out with SC2 5.0.

Level 18
your wasd really inspires me to work on GE more.

It could be applied perfectly to the concept of kings and knights. the kings would be base builders from the default camera, but the knights would be first person heroes. it would be really cool to design a map that works for two completely different game modes that work together and would lead to an interesting play dynamic between the players.

i started making a basic map for it on sc2 and i love the trigger editor, and terrain editor on sc2, i was quickly and easily able to make dota style 'auto spawns' and decent terrain, but something as simple as trying to make a wc3 style hero took me like 10-15 hours hours and 3 guides. then i was saving the sc2 map and it asked me if i want to encrypt, so i said yes, now i can't even open my map.

Level 8
your wasd really inspires me to work on GE more.

It could be applied perfectly to the concept of kings and knights. the kings would be base builders from the default camera, but the knights would be first person heroes. it would be really cool to design a map that works for two completely different game modes that work together and would lead to an interesting play dynamic between the players.

i started making a basic map for it on sc2 and i love the trigger editor, and terrain editor on sc2, i was quickly and easily able to make dota style 'auto spawns' and decent terrain, but something as simple as trying to make a wc3 style hero took me like 10-15 hours hours and 3 guides. then i was saving the sc2 map and it asked me if i want to encrypt, so i said yes, now i can't even open my map.

The WASD system is pretty simple, developed a specific way to work as efficiently as possible (with that said, there is a movement speed limitation), as far as the smooth camera setups go that's something apparently a lot of people haven't really figured out. I'm not sure about the "encryption" thing, as that has never been an option I've ever seen. Perhaps you mean publishing as a locked map? Because that will "publish" the map on Battle.net as encrypted, yeah. Which isn't really a thing, even locked maps are able to be editted if you know how to find the files. They just simply don't retain "triggers" in the editor but they retain the script files. You can always publish as Private / Unlocked then you pretty much won't have to worry about people stealing your map and you will keep original triggers in tact.

The two different game-mode styles are something I typically explore in my projects. My third person RPG is one that I'm exploring the capability of having third person gameplay being optional and normal gameplay being optional. Of course, it comes with a complication of occluding ceilings, but not really a big deal either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.