• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

sc2 jass language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Anyone have a link to like a tutorial of learning the currently known sc2 jass? Me and a friend were planning to make a map and i wanna learn sc2 jass beforehand.

Level 1
would it be easy, if i learned c++, to convert that to work with sc2?

Learning c++ is quite challenging, I would recommend you crash-course with (Warcraft III: Frozen Throne) the World Editor's GUI. After you get a decent handle on the GUI, move on to JASS (the world editor's language).

The World Editor's GUI and JASS are very high level language; they have a bit friendlier interface for learning basic programming topics - variables, local scope, global scope, etc. - than c++ which is both a mid-high level language and low level language. Lower level language tend to be harder because of the lack of abstractions.

That doesn't mean you are going to have an excruciating time learning c++; so, don't let me discourage you - do what you feel is important to you. I just think it would be easier to learn high level language first for beginners in programming.

Level 9
would it be easy, if i learned c++, to convert that to work with sc2?
Yeah, or even Java.

Everyone flips out when people compare the code to Java since Java was based on C but whatever...it looks like Java :p

The difference is that Java code is object oriented and C is not. And I don't think the SC2 language is OOP either. However, if you learn either of the languages, you'll be able to learn the new SC2 language with ease.

Level 9
Learning any language helps you learn another one. It's just that C/C++/JAVA share the code chunk brackets (if (true) {}) and semicolons, so it will be very very similar.

Level 4
Although, strictly speaking, it might be better to learn C rather than C++. But no one likes C, so meh.

C is a major pain.

To be honest, I wish blizzard used established programming languages for WC3 and SC2. If anyone's modded for Civilization IV, you know how fantastic it is compared to modding most other games!

- Everything's tied in to XML for simple data edits
- Python scripting for more complex tasks
- SDK: the open source C++ of most of the game engine, providing the ultimate modding potential

All industry-standard languages. I even studied their source in my spare time in college to get an idea of how professional, successful companies organize major products, and learned tons that was never covered in any class.

Last edited:
Level 9
ehm galaxy actually supports XML and other nice data structures... in addition we don't know the whole spectrum of implemented features since there is no editor published yet

We do, however, have deconstructed code from the sc2 exe, and galaxy scripts. More than enough to figure out that blizzard is being silly.

I'd even go for LUA, but python would be great if they could add it.

Level 19
Yeah, or even Java.

Everyone flips out when people compare the code to Java since Java was based on C but whatever...it looks like Java :p

The difference is that Java code is object oriented and C is not. And I don't think the SC2 language is OOP either. However, if you learn either of the languages, you'll be able to learn the new SC2 language with ease.

Lol im a master at GUI atm.

Well "sigh" i hate learning new language, i only know english :S

Level 4
ehm galaxy actually supports XML and other nice data structures... in addition we don't know the whole spectrum of implemented features since there is no editor published yet

That's true, my point is simply that Firaxis used industry standard languages for all levels of the game, and released much of the game's source code to the public to modify as desired. A company can't possibly give more without making the entire game free and source available, so it's just about the best modding environment you can get. Hopefully Blizzard might also release an SDK... though highly doubtful, as they never once mentioned plans for such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.