• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 Hive League!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
EDIT: It seems a lot of people are being scared off by the idea that there might be grandmaster level players in here. Just to clarify: the range of players currently stems from Bronze to Gold. There is a place for everyone here!

I tried this once, it didn't quite work out at the time. This might've been because I didn't put enough effort into it, though. I've been looking for an excuse to get back into SC2, and a reason to get back into THW, and this could be it.

Do we have many people still playing the game, and if so many people that would be willing to play a weekly match as part of a league I'd set up for The Hive? It would be fairly simple, either a BO3 or BO5 format (depending on how many players we have) with playoffs at the end and potentially trophy prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place if I can convince the staffers here. We could run it as a season, with a tournament to conclude, using either HotS or Starbow, depending upon what we're interested in. I'm comfortable setting something like this up, and putting the effort in to maintain the league.

So, what'd you think? I reckon this could be quite cool, and I definitely have a few friends that aren't currently at the Hive but would be interested in getting involved (which would bring new users here, too). :)

See here for a current list of participants!

You can comment on the spreadsheet but not edit. If you would like to be added to the list of participants, then please leave a comment in the E1 cell with your battle.net username/friendcode. :)
SCHL2.jpg

The Time Has Come! We Must Exercise Our Universal Right To Brutalise One Another, Keep Score, And Pretend It’s All In The Name Of Friendship!

The Hive has, for a long time, been a community of likeminded creators and gamers. It was only ever really a matter of time until we would, one day, spawn a league with which natural selection is capable of doing its duty. It’s was a simple eventuality, and now it’s happened. Are you ready?

We’ve been having quite a good discussion in the chat and SC2 forums about putting this together, and it looks like we’re finally there. Currently filled with 20 participants, we’re approaching the closing date for registration so don’t miss out on your chance to take part: register before the end of Sunday next week (05/06) to be guaranteed a spot to take part in the league. If you have any ideas, would like to contribute, or want to take part, make sure to have your voice heard.

With 20 participants, the league will run over the course of 20 weeks, interspaced with tournaments, fundays and an eventual championship to top everything off. The best part is that you are only required to play a single, best of three game a week, organised at a time that works well for both you and your opponent. Minimal commitment, maximal enjoyment. The league is accepting registrations from players ranking Bronze all the way up to Platinum, with the majority of our players currently spanning from Bronze to Silver, and if you happen to be even better than that, don’t panic! You’ll still be able to take part in the tournaments and custom game events we have, and there’s certainly other things you can do to help out in the league.

If you enjoy SC2, want to have some fun, and would like to be around others with whom to play regularly in a fun and competitive format, come and join us!

A massive thank you to Heinvers for creating that awesome looking logo at the top of this post.

EDITEDIT:

It looks like we might've actually pulled this off, people. I've attached the rules so new people joining the thread have a point of reference. ^^

SCHL2.jpg

The Hive Workshop's SC2 League is a fun, brutal free-for-all in which people of all types, kinds and creeds meet weekly to have at one another in SC2.
The other commonality shared is that we're all fairly terrible at the game.

Registration is currently closed, but that doesn't mean you can't take part in the many Arcade Nights and Tournaments we run.
Interested? You should be - contact Ash for more information
Rules

• The league will be run as a season, concluding with a championship tournament at the end.
  • The season consists of each player having a single match against all other players.
  • The championship is a double elimination event.
  • The winner of the season will be the first seed for the championship, second place the second seed, and so on until the lowest ranked individual from the season.
  • The winner of the championship is the overall winner of the league.

• Players must be registered from the start of the season.
  • There are no late registrations, although in the case of any spinoffs (e.g., we decide to have a mess around tournament or custom game night) people late to the season may participate.
  • There are no race restrictions: you may change as many times as you like before, after or during a match.
  • Smurfing in any form is not allowed: one account per person.
  • Principle of good faith: We trust all players to not be dicks, as we are all friends. NO HAX, NO BAD MANNER. See below in case of disputes.

• Season games are BO3 and will be played on a set of prechosen maps.
  • Championship games are BO3 (rounds) BO5 (quarter/semi-finals) or BO7 (finals) and will be played on a set of prechosen maps.
  • Each game will be played until one of the two players wins, either by gaining the required number of victories or by the other player forfeiting the remaining games.
  • In the unlikely event of a stalemate, the match will be replayed on the same map.
  • Please make sure your replays are saved automatically, as they could be required later.
  • For the season: The map pool will be announced at the start of each week, being randomly drawn.
  • Of the available pool of maps, each player of the game can veto 1 before the game begins.
  • The remaining maps are played on an order chosen by the lower ranked individual.
  • For the championship: Maps will be drawn on a round-by-round basis.
  • Of the available maps, each player in the championship can veto 1 (round) or 3 (quarter/semi-finals/finals) before the round begins.
  • All vetos will be counted, and whichever maps have the most vetos removed.
  • The remaining maps will be voted on by the remaining players, and played in the order of most votes --> least votes.
  • For the final round, the player from the winning bracket decides the map order.
  • Organising Games: Players are responsible for organising their own matches.
  • The season's matches will be organised well in advance of any of them occurring, so talk to one another and figure out when to play.
  • If you're on different servers (e.g. EU/SEA) then one map will be played on player A's server, another map on player B's server.
  • For the season: This will begin with the player ranked lowest. This way, clutch matches are played on the server of the player with a lower rank. You may choose to ignore this rule if you both wish.
  • For the championship: This will begin with the player ranked highest. This way, clutch matches are played on the server of the player with a lower seed. You may choose to ignore this rule if you both wish.
  • All match results should be submitted before the end of the week, even if a match is postponed.
  • The only reason a game can be postponed is due to either: A) Illness, or; B) A holiday.
  • Please make your opponent aware, and the game should be played within two weeks of your return.
  • Matches may be streamed. This is especially likely in the case of the championships, but don't be surprised if one of the admins contacts you and asks to watch/stream your match. You may deny this, unless it is a championship match
  • It is the victor's responsibility to submit a victory.

• In the rare case that a dispute may arise, it must be flagged before the end of the week AND/OR within 24 hours of the submission of a victory. Please submit the replay and any associated material (screencaps, etc.) alongside your dispute.
  • Admin decisions are final.

(Preferable) Method 1, your Battle.Tag:

You can find this by logging onto Battle.Net, going to "My Account" and looking at the left of the page, it can be found under your real name, above your country of residence.

After obtaining someone's Battle.Tag, you can add them here:

fFakHnyl.png

The format is Name, number sign, then the number, for example, my battle.tag could be: JohnBrown#1234

Method 2, Character Codes:

Can be found by the same method, but clicking Character Friend instead of Real ID. Your character code can be found on this page.

Su2EkbFl.png

The format is your ingame username (for example, mine is Avex), and then the code (where mine is 110)

So mine would be Avex.110

A massive thank you to Heinvers for creating that awesome looking logo at the top of this post.
A big thank you to Avex for the tutorial on adding people via Battle Tag and Friend Codes.

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Sounds pretty cool. I guess I'm in, depending on the times.

I was thinking that we could have one match per week, organised by the participants. So one week, I'll be having a match against you but only at a time we can both play. So if your availability is Mon/Tue/Wed and mine is Wed/Thur/Sat, then we'd play on Wednesday.

What'd you think?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Okay, so this got a little more interest than I was thinking and there's 19 people lined up to play. Given that this looks like it may actually work out, I decided to draw up a set of draft rules. Please let me know what you think.

Format
  • The league will be run as a season, concluding with a championship tournament at the end.
  • The season consists of each player having a single match against all other players.
  • The championship is a double elimination event.
  • The winner of the season will be the first seed for the championship, second place the second seed, and so on until the lowest ranked individual from the season.
  • The winner of the championship is the overall winner of the league.

Players
  • Players must be registered from the start of the season.
  • There are no late registrations, although in the case of any spinoffs (e.g., we decide to have a mess around tournament) people late to the season may participate.
  • There are no race restrictions: you may change as many times as you like before, after or during a match.
  • Smurfing in any form is not allowed: one account per person.
  • Principle of good faith: We trust all players to not be dicks, as we are all friends. NO HAX, NO BAD MANNER. See below in case of disputes.

Games
  • Games are BO3/BO5 (any preference, doods?) and will be played on a set of prechosen maps.
  • Each game will be played until one of the two players wins, either by gaining the required number of victories or by the other player forfeiting the remaining games.
  • In the unlikely event of a stalemate, the match will be replayed on the same map.
  • Please make sure your replays are saved automatically, as they could be required later.
  • For the season: The map pool will be announced at the start of each week, being randomly drawn.
  • Of the available pool of maps, each player of the game can veto X before the game begins.
  • The remaining maps are played on an order chosen by the lower ranked individual.
  • For the championship: Maps will be drawn on a round-by-round basis.
  • Of the available maps, each player in the championship can veto X before the round begins.
  • All vetos will be counted, and whichever maps have the most vetos removed.
  • The remaining maps will be voted on by the remaining players, and played in the order of most votes --> least votes.
  • For the final round, the player from the winning bracket decides the map order.
  • Organising Games: Players are responsible for organising their own matches. The season's matches will be organising well in advance of any of them occurring, so talk to one another and figure out when to play.
  • If you're on different servers (e.g. EU/SEA) then one map will be played on player A's server, another map on player B's server.
  • For the season This will begin with the player ranked lowest. This way, clutch matches are played on the server of the player with a lower rank. You may choose to ignore this rule if you both wish.
  • For the championship: This will begin with the player ranked highest. This way, clutch matches are played on the server of the player with a lower seed. You may choose to ignore this rule if you both wish.
  • All match results should be submitted before the end of the week, even if a match is postponed.
  • The only reason a game can be postponed is due to either: A) Illness, or; B) A holiday. Please make your opponent aware, and the game should be played within two weeks of your return.
  • It is the victor's responsibility to submit a victory.
Finally, Disputes:
  • In the rare case that a dispute may arise, it must be flagged before the end of the week OR within 24 hours of the submission of a victory. Please submit the replay and any associated material (screencaps, etc.) alongside your dispute.
  • Admin decisions are final.

Level 49
Sounds pretty good to me. I'm curious how long a league like that would last, though. Sounds like it could take quite a few months. Would it not be possible for a player to play multiple matches in a single week?

BO3 or BO5... Doesn't matter to me much. I guess BO3 would be better, I think it's slightly more common in events like this, although I have no idea.

I don't particularly care on what maps the games are played so I have nothing really to say about the map selection system. I thought that maybe the maps being chosen by the winner's bracket guy for the final round is a little bit unfair, but I guess there should be some incentive not to get into the loser's bracket. :p

Nat

Nat

Level 1
Hey, I'm Deolrin's friend and I'd like to join, my name in SC2 is Ķirbis and my character code is 124. Also, I'm a mid masters player :D

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Sounds pretty good to me. I'm curious how long a league like that would last, though. Sounds like it could take quite a few months. Would it not be possible for a player to play multiple matches in a single week?

BO3 or BO5... Doesn't matter to me much. I guess BO3 would be better, I think it's slightly more common in events like this, although I have no idea.

I don't particularly care on what maps the games are played so I have nothing really to say about the map selection system. I thought that maybe the maps being chosen by the winner's bracket guy for the final round is a little bit unfair, but I guess there should be some incentive not to get into the loser's bracket. :p

Maybe you're right about playing multiple games a week, as it would take the best part of a year otherwise... I'm not sure how many would be a good idea, maybe we can revisit this when we know for sure how many people are in, although BO3 certainly lends itself to more than one match a week.

Hey, I'm Deolrin's friend and I'd like to join, my name in SC2 is Ķirbis and my character code is 124. Also, I'm a mid masters player :D

Awesome, I'll add you in now. You're probably the highest ranked here by quite a margin, so I don't know if you're still interested, or how long this interest will remain when you start steamrolling, but I look forward to beating you learning from your glorious victories.

I wouldve joined if you play with SC Expanded mod and i had not the sudden fps drops to 1. QQ

I think the idea's to play with either HotS or Starbow. I think we're leaning more towards HotS at the moment. I hope you reconsider, it would be good to have you in the league. :)

Level 49
Could it potentially be organized as a tournament even, over the course of a week or so? Several games would have to be played, and if someone has to go or doesn't have the time their games will be delayed. It should really not take more than a week. Could also organize several events like this in that case.

By the way, I have no idea what 'Starbow' is, so I prefer HotS. :p

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Could it potentially be organized as a tournament even, over the course of a week or so? Several games would have to be played, and if someone has to go or doesn't have the time their games will be delayed. It should really not take more than a week. Could also organize several events like this in that case.

Yeah, I get you. We could have a tournament at the start to seed people, and again at the end, but I still kinda like the idea of having an ongoing league. It'd certainly necessitate that people stay in touch with each other, which is kinda the excuse for starting one off in the first place: I wanted to get back into Hiving. If we're just running a BO3, then we could probably play two or three games per week...

As it stands, playing a single game a week means that it would take 18 weeks to get through the league. If we played three games per week, that would make it six weeks. It's really up to you guys as well though, as I don't want to start something up if the majority of us couldn't keep up with it.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Eh, no different to Gold vs Grandmaster ^^

This is just shits and giggles really, remember. No tryhard craziness.

In other news: ONLY A WEEK AND THREE DAYS UNTIL WE GET GOING! I'll announce the first week matchups next week, after PMing everyone that said they want to take part and confirming their participation. Wooooo, partytime. <3<3<3

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Awesome to see you onboard, MiniMage.

After a bunch of private messages, and a few long conversations in the chat, we've decided to revise the registrations a little...

We're only going to accept registrations from players ranking Bronze up to Platinum, due to most of the playerbase spanning from Bronze to Silver. If you happen to be even better than that, don’t panic! You’ll still be able to take part in the tournaments and custom game events we have, and there’s certainly other things you can do to help out in the league.

EDIT: I was thinking that perhaps a single elimination championship will be better, given the amount of time it's going to take to conduct...

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
ill join in if its not too late -- just to play with guys less then to actually compete

my un official/official saying ''maybe?''

It's absolutely not too late to get involved! I wouldn't really say the league's super tryhard, pretty much everyone here's just having a laugh, so you'd fit right in. It's up to you in you want to take part, but you've got until Sunday next week to make your mind up! You're always able to just play in the funnights/tournaments we organise, though. :)

Please put this on youtube, I want to watch it :)))))

Are you still not convinced to be part of the league? Haha. ;)

But really, it'd be awesome if you joined us!

Please don't put this on YT.

I was thinking about this. It could be cool to have something up, but it certainly shouldn't be public... Maybe if we had it unlisted, and linked it from here as a weekly round up sorta thing? I definitely don't have the time to cast a few games every week, though. Maybe Nat, Avex, Busterkomo or any of the other Masters/GMs in the Hive could help out?

Level 8

But really, it'd be awesome if you joined

No. Again, my fps is very bad thanks to the internet requirement of the game. (One of the stupidest systems I have ever seen.) I would maybe join to see how I lose buuuut somebody had the great idea to put an online requirement to the game which makes the game slower when you dont have a good internet. Gj to who made that!

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I edited the first post a little to include the announcement and rules so that anybody new to the thread will have a point of reference. I also added fixtures to the google docs spreadsheet, but these can (and are very likely to) change. Please don't organise your first match already!

I will post something closer to the time (Saturday/Sunday) next week, letting you know that the league has launched officially. ^_^

No. Again, my fps is very bad thanks to the internet requirement of the game. (One of the stupidest systems I have ever seen.) I would maybe join to see how I lose buuuut somebody had the great idea to put an online requirement to the game which makes the game slower when you dont have a good internet. Gj to who made that!

Ah man, I hope you can fix it somehow. That's a bummer!

Level 8
Sign me up please!

BronzeKnee.303

I was Masters way back in WOL, but I haven't really played at all since Wings, so I'm sure I'm around Gold now, and I like to do silly builds. I need to reinstall SC2, been uninstalled for a long time so technically I'm currently unranked.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Okay, cool. You should have all got PMs from me, asking you to confirm a few things before the end of the week. Please read/reply!

There were a few names I couldn't find when PMing, if anyone can help me ID these accounts then please get in touch:
  • Mikeycigar
  • onok
Sign me up please!

BronzeKnee.303

I was Masters way back in WOL, but I haven't really played at all since Wings, so I'm sure I'm around Gold now, and I like to do silly builds. I need to reinstall SC2, been uninstalled for a long time so technically I'm currently unranked.

Added you to the spreadsheet (but still please reply to my PM) >_<

Nat

Nat

Level 1
It's absolutely not too late to get involved! I wouldn't really say the league's super tryhard, pretty much everyone here's just having a laugh, so you'd fit right in. It's up to you in you want to take part, but you've got until Sunday next week to make your mind up! You're always able to just play in the funnights/tournaments we organise, though. :)

But really, it'd be awesome if you joined us!

I was thinking about this. It could be cool to have something up, but it certainly shouldn't be public... Maybe if we had it unlisted, and linked it from here as a weekly round up sorta thing? I definitely don't have the time to cast a few games every week, though. Maybe Nat, Avex, Busterkomo or any of the other Masters/GMs in the Hive could help out?

Sure thing, I could probably cast some games, just let me know! :)

Ah I may join.
I'll confirm back when I test out Sc2 to see is I don't have to many issues considering my internet sucks.

iirc I've been in the top 10 of gold a couple of times legit in the past year although haven't played much in some time.

StarCraft II:
Dashie#6978

I used to have DeathChef as my name and got complements about it for some reason from time to time.
I'm seemingly more comfortable with Dashie tho :p

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Okay, we're looking awesome so far. I have codes for most people, but I'm still awaiting information from the following:
  • FaLLeN
  • Imperator
  • Mechanical Man
  • mikeycigar
  • onok
  • Solu9
  • Stork
  • Tank-Commander
If you happen to bump into anybody/want to send them a private message, please remind the guys that I need friend codes before the end of tomorrow, ideally! I really don't want to remove anyone from the league, but we kinda need to get going soon...

Ash

Ash

Level 22
OKAY. I'm leaving the lab now and still don't have internet at home. I'll come in on Sunday and set everything up, as well as send around two blanket messages to everyone so that we're all ready to go.

Remember it's your responsibility to organise your matches! Take a few minutes to reintroduce yourself to the rules before the get go. I envisage the first week (or first two weeks) being a little rough going, but after that it should be smooth sailing for us. Thank you all for helping out and being as awesome as you have been, I'm really looking forward to getting started.

Here's to The Hive Workshop League! Here's to The Hive!

Ash

Ash

Level 22
And we're off! PMs are on the fly for this week as we speak. Please remember to check your inbox, arrange your matches within the time period and, for the victors, report your wins before the close of play on sunday. I will continue to PM everyone before the start of the week, but please don't feel like you need to wait for me in order to organise matches: a list of all your future clashes can be seen on the spreadsheet (linked in the first post) as well as your current standing within the league. The only kicker is that you're not allowed to start the next round before the specified date.

If I have missed anyone out that has registered, please contact me ASAP.

In order for the league to be ready to go from tomorrow, I have removed the following people that have not confirmed either friend code or participation:
  • FaLLeN
  • Mechanical Man
  • Mikeycigar
  • onok
  • Solu9
  • Stork
  • Tank-Commander
We're left with 13 participants in total, giving us a drastically shorter league and championship (Deolrin will be happy...).

EDIT:

Commence trashtalking!

You all smell bad and your parents are reptilians. I will stand victorious over your crumpled bodies, with a staff made from all of your genitals.

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Alright, don't forget to report in your wins! Looks like I have the honour of being the first: I just won my match 2-0. It was a good one, you better watch your back those of you that have Knight26 coming up...

Level 1
Since i can't PM for whatever reason and i need to set up my match, kellym0 how does sunday 11 am central sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.