• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 Hive League!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Deolrin won with 2-0. I have no idea what you were expecting ash. Teaming me, a bronze player against Deolrin, a gold player. We played two games which he swiftly won.

Then a third just for fun, but Deolrin doesn't know the concept of fun and raped with nukes. So well, there you go.
Match me with similar level of rank or I'll drop out. I'm fine with a fun game. But this was just terrible.

Level 18
If I recall correctly, many leagues and tournaments match people with awkward leagues to prevent awkward finals.

Think of it this way:

You have 8 players, a total of 3 bronze, 3 gold, 2 silver. This distribution allows for the better players to last longer in the tournament, leading to a like gold vs gold finals. The lower skilled players get knocked out immediately, leading to more gold vs gold games later on, likely reaching a gold vs gold final.

bronze
gold

bronze
gold

silver
gold

bronze
silver

What would happen if it were distributed against equal skill:

gold
gold

gold
silver

silver
bronze

bronze
bronze

One gold gets knocked out immediately garaunteed, the silver likely loses to the gold, meaning it's another gold vs gold, so by the finals you have a gold vs silver (or even gold vs bronze). Which is really silly. In the spread out distribution, you're more likely to get better games as the tournament grows longer, instead of the whole thing being a landslide.

Level 26
Oh wow, what fun. For the game with TheBronze, a gold player. I forfeit.

So, wait, I get three battles against bronze players. For anyone who is not bronze. I forfeit.
I acknowledge I am not going to win the games against silver or gold, because I suck.

After being so brutually raped by Deolrin, I'm not really in the mood for more of that wave.

Level 18
Oh wow, what fun. For the game with TheBronze, a gold player. I forfeit.

If you're looking to improve at the game, you should aim to find any way of practice possible, where playing against better players will allow you to discover your faults in comparison to their play. The difference between bronze and gold players is literally their sense of macro, nothing else. A bronze could beat a gold by never taking gas and massing their tier 1 unit in an efficient and timely manner.

Level 26
If you're looking to improve at the game, you should aim to find any way of practice possible, where playing against better players will allow you to discover your faults in comparison to their play. The difference between bronze and gold players is literally their sense of macro, nothing else. A bronze could beat a gold by never taking gas and massing their tier 1 unit in an efficient and timely manner.

I'm not looking to improve. I'm looking to have fun. This is not fun.

Basically, in an attempt to pad out the battle. You'll present matches that the bronze will not win. Ending with a final toll of 3 gold and 1 silver.
Which then rounds off with 1 gold vs either silver or gold. Whichever are more likely, I don't really care.

I'm not really in the mood to be gunfodder to prolong a fight. I drop out from this thing. I'll play the games with the bronze in my own time.
If there's no chance of victory, then this fight loses it's meaning and its entertainment value.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I'm not looking to improve. I'm looking to have fun. This is not fun.

Basically, in an attempt to pad out the battle. You'll present matches that the bronze will not win. Ending with a final toll of 3 gold and 1 silver.
Which then rounds off with 1 gold vs either silver or gold. Whichever are more likely, I don't really care.

I'm not really in the mood to be gunfodder to prolong a fight. I drop out from this thing. I'll play the games with the bronze in my own time.
If there's no chance of victory, then this fight loses it's meaning and its entertainment value.

You know, he's got a point here.

This was supposed to be just for fun, but looking at the ranks of several participants makes me doubt that those who aren't that active in SC2 will have any fun.

I'm not really fond of facing people from platinum/gold rank.

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Oh come on MiniMage, I didn't deliberately place you up for a fall.

Let me be clear: everyone that signed up will play everyone. There is no strategic placement of people so that some are more likely to succeed than others, just a way to have people form a league and have fun playing. You can easily see this if you take a look at yohr fixtures. Try not to worry so much about that.

Knight26 is fucking awesome, for jumpig in, too.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Again, just to reiterate: all of your matches are already set up for each week, and can be viewed under the fixtures sheet. Everyone plays everyone, don't panic. Of course some weeks will be more challenging than others, but I'd like to think we've got passed our teething problems now. ^^

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I think Kelly makes a good suggestion. It seems like the friendcode thing isn't working too great for a lot of us. If you would like, we could add our emails to the spreadsheet (it's private) and it should make adding people much smoother.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Just a few updates:
  • I've added a column for RealID's into the spreadsheet. If you would like your RealID/Battletag adding, please PM it to me - I recommend you do this to make playing games smoother!
  • The standings are fully updated for all the matches so far.
  • It looks like all the games from this week are going to be played. :D

Something that confuses alot of people is this:

There's 3 ways to add people.

1. Battle.net RealID Email (____@___.__)
2. Battle.net RealID BattleTag (Name#4 numbers or so)
3. SC2 Friend ID (Name.###)

Many get 2 and 3 mixed up because of the # or .

I actually didn't know you could add people via #2, I thought only 1 and 3 existed. Thanks for the heads up - it should make running our matches easier. :)

Level 18
Since it doesn't seem known, I made a guide to find each:

Method 1, your RealID email;

This is just the email you log in with, it will display your real name (or whatever you put for your real name) if this method is used.

Method 2, your Battle.Tag;

You can find this by logging onto Battle.Net, going to "My Account" and looking at the left of the page, it can be found under your real name, above your country of residence.

After obtaining someone's Battle.Tag, you can add them here:

fFakHnyl.png

The format is Name, number sign, then the number, for example, my battle.tag could be: JohnBrown#1234

The last option is to use Character Codes, which can be found by the same method, but clicking Character Friend instead of Real ID. Your character code can be found on this page.

Su2EkbFl.png

The format is your ingame username (for example, mine is Avex), and then the code (where mine is 110)

So mine would be Avex.110

Ash

Ash

Level 22
My internet installation was cancelled, so Powlett and I are still without interbutts at home >_<; Additionally, Voegnu's on holiday for 2 weeks. Gawd daymn.

How's everyone else's matches going? Nat's still up for casting a few games, does anyone fancy that?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
My internet installation was cancelled, so Powlett and I are still without interbutts at home >_<; Additionally, Voegnu's on holiday for 2 weeks. Gawd daymn.

Are we still able to play these days?

How's everyone else's matches going? Nat's still up for casting a few games, does anyone fancy that?

I still don't really fancy that.

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I'm going to see if I can use my neighbour's wifi, so give me until tonight to work this out and then I'll let you know from there.

I see three solutions:

1) (ideal) we can use the neighbour's wifi, solving the problem.
2) we treat the lack of internet as a holiday for Powlett and myself until the 28th
3) as we have a few participants out of touch (holidays, no access to internet) we put the league on hiatus until the end of the month.

I would rather not do number 3, but it is there and a possibility. How do you all feel?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Please make sure you've checked the fixture sheet for your matches! I'm having a little more trouble than I expected, so the PMs will be a day late this week. Don't wait for me, get organising your stuff already! ^^

If anyone could take charge of PMing people today with their opponent though, just as an added extra, that would be awesome...

Status
Not open for further replies.