• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Running Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, I recently got a new computer and it's running Vista and it's shitloads faster than my old computer.

Now I've started mapping again and it seems to take a hell of a lot longer to complete tasks and stuff, like when I rename something it can take up to like 20 seconds just to do that. But when I work on the terrain and stuff it seems to run perfectly fine.

Is there any reason why Vista would slow this and all other object editor processes down?

Level 2
Wow, that is a shitload faster, thanks for all the help guys, especially M0RT, it's faster than my old puta now, so it should be with a 2.2 Quad Core compared to my old fuckin dual core... thanks again guys

Omg, its not Vista, its you. Seriously, I have Vista on Dual Core PC and its the faster then XP on 2,2 ghz (2,2 dual core currently) with all of its programs. The renaming something will need as more as more units you have. First unit rename will take about a sec, but after a few hundred you get pissed of how much time wc3 needs.

Level 13
To end this...
The speed of vista is basicly influenced by the ram memory you have and *important* by your settings...

Vista comes with SO much useless stuff.... for example Aero... and who wants the 3d windows flip ....

The biggest problem of all those thing is that vista needs ~2 gb ram ONLY for running properly.... The rest is for you then...

I can only give you the advice to switch to xp or MUCH BETTER to linux.. (the 10.3 version needs sooo less system resources... and the 11 version is better then vista...)

Level 10
Well i got laptop Vista... Vista always run slow, And vista isnt stupid, but vista has one of highest Anti-Virus protections... Still it runs useless craps , what cant be cancelled... If you want so it runs normal get 2 gib ram or search for google tons of masses programs and some service packs to even do something better, i think... Vista is ONLY for Buissiness things... For games it sux!

Level 5
To end this...
The speed of vista is basicly influenced by the ram memory you have and *important* by your settings...

Vista comes with SO much useless stuff.... for example Aero... and who wants the 3d windows flip ....

The biggest problem of all those thing is that vista needs ~2 gb ram ONLY for running properly.... The rest is for you then...

Yeah, thats true. I had Vista installed on 1gb ram, and some functions were slow, now i have 4gb ram and everything works properly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Your PC is fine. WE is working slow for everyone.

Basically, due to the way stuff is organized in the object editor, changing the name of a unit or item results in it rebuilding all the lists from scratch which are very process intensive. Teranning however only alters the map so does not demand much. Espeically with a lot of custom objects, the time to rename them will increase.

To fix you have to close the stupid unit list at the bottom left below the model viewer and mini-map.

Status
Not open for further replies.