• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
My computer has lately been running slower than it usually, so I thought it was time to reinstall my OS. I am currently running Windows Vista, and like a lot of other people, I'm not really satisfied with it. So the idea of installing a new OS occurred to me. Problem is, I've always played on Windows, and I got no knowledge whatsoever about any alternatives. I also have the possibility to install Windows 7, but I don’t know how good that runs.
So my question is: Should I just reinstall Vista? or should I install Windows 7? or should I install another OS, e.g. Linux?

Level 14
My computer has lately been running slower than it usually, so I thought it was time to reinstall my OS. I am currently running Windows Vista, and like a lot of other people, I'm not really satisfied with it. So the idea of installing a new OS occurred to me. Problem is, I've always played on Windows, and I got no knowledge whatsoever about any alternatives. I also have the possibility to install Windows 7, but I don’t know how good that runs.
So my question is: Should I just reinstall Vista? or should I install Windows 7? or should I install another OS, e.g. Linux?

Well, that dependes of what you will use the computer for, if gaming you should see if you can fix Windows XP. If you're however not going to use your computer for gaming you should switch to linux. I would recommend Xubuntu if you're looking for speed.

Level 7
I'm going to use it for mostly gaming, so I guess I'm going to look for a XP. I might actually have one myself.. Somewhere :p

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Win 7 is said to be the greatest os from microsoft ever. And it is, I have the beta installed on a VERY shit laptop and it runs incredibly smooth and boots fast. I'm sure I'll get it when I'll get a new pc next year.

Level 9
that is true. Windows 7 is great.

I've tried the pre-beta version (i loved it), and now i'm still on vista 7 (RC)

I've played games like TES4:Oblivion, The Witcher and others and i must say: i'm impressed. The difference between Vista and Seven is a major one.
Vista really sucks.

Level 10
I just gotta say, I installed windows 7 some time ago, but it made my computer freeze (so I had to restart it) quite often, about two times a day. I'm back on XP now again and I don't have any problems with that, didn't have it before windows 7 either. Since my friends laptop litterarely sucks ( he uses windows 7) and my comp is pretty decent, it shouldn't have anything to do with the computer since his laptop doesn't freeze.

Level 7
I installed Windows 7 a couple of days ago now, and I must say it works like a dream, I guess this thread should be closed, since it served it's purpose.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Windows 7 is more efficent than vista in every way I heard. With the exception of its desktop render engine which is still more efficent for its task, but consumes more resources (parralel windows updating obviously is more demanding than single window updating but you really should not notice this outside of benchmark tests). It also uses a less RAM so page files can have easier times.

I advise the 64 bit version if your PC supports it, as 32 bit no one is updating to anymore (well most people are getting 64).

Windows 7 also provides the ability to run XP as an application, so any backwards compatibility problems I am sure can be solved by this.

All in all, there is no real reason to stay with XP unless your pc is horriably old (no DX10 card), has insanly little RAM (less than 1 GB) or a processor equal to that of a mobile phone (less than 1 GHZ).

If your PC was already running vista with an ok performance, then logically W7 will be better. W7 is basically vista but with more of the polish vista should have had.

Level 13
hmm....well , before i got this PC and improved it a little , there was Vista ,so i think that i should be able to run it....

dumb question ----> how do i know if my computer supports 64 ?

Yeah thats the bad side...ALL MY GAMES AND PROGRAMS:'(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.