• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ruler of the Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well, after having some time off to think about my new project, I ran over a review about a game, named Overlord. And I said: "Oh that's it, let's get it on then!!!" I am sure you don't understand, but I will explain. I am going to make a map where you command a very strong guy and you will be able to command minions. These minions will be summoned through portals. To make the map even more barbaric, I decided to make it set in a desert. It will be multiplayer and its size will be small, so that it can be played in Bnet. Also the map will have villages and areas for you to buy equipment or raid and get gold. A save-load system shall be added and the map will be almost complete. Some good terraining and a small variety of weapons that will be attachable as well as armors and so and that's it - a small game. What do you think??? Screenshots coming soon (maybe in the following 3 hours)!!!

Level 5
Ok this map sounds lots of fun to play but try to explain a little more.

I haven't played overlord but know you have minions to control, explain how this will be different from one of the castle builders just for an example.

Level 2
Its a good idea but to implement it you would have to change the controls to be simular to the game. Other wise it would be kinda lame. Also as frooker said the players need a goal. Overlord wasn't a simulation game like sims or what spore will be like so it would be hard to implement something where can players can do whatever they want and not get bored.

Level 10
Well, I will start off with the goal: Players will have to kill the King but this is a real challenge as he will be 250 level and players will be able to reach 200 levels only. Players will also have to fight against the nomad Lord, that will be 200 level and the Keeper, a mythical beast that will be 150 level. Players will have to complete three challenges then. The thing is that the whole thing will be multiplayer, so expect players fight each other and controlling areas of the map. Another mission will be to find a large enough army to conquer all the villages and then ambush other players. Many goals will be given so that players always have some more goals to fulfill. Except from this, leveling will be really tough and players will need a lot of time to reach even level 50, not to talk about level 200!!! So every 10-20 levels, players will be invited in arena fights against horrible monsters. A goal is to win them all and also the Arena Owner, to get it for yourself!!! More things like these will make the game endless and always funny. Gameplay will not be similar to Overlord, but it will be the pre-assigned gameplay of warcraft. One more thing is hiring units. When you begin, you will have a small group of 10 units. You will start of with 15 souls and that's it. Reaching nearby villages will allow you hiring mercenaries. But remember they'll cost you souls. Souls are gained by killing enemies or by losing your units. Losing a unit will grant you one soul. Populatio limit will be 70-80, but there will be units that will need no food!! Any more questions, suggestions, ideas???

Level 10
Sorry for double posting but this post is about a major change of the game and was not same with the previous post or have anything common, so I had to repost. I am really sorry. Now about the change: Ruler of the Sands will probably be a campaign and you'll command about 10 heroes. Each of them with unique powers. You will be able to wander through the vast world as a dark legionnarie and so. You will have a fort and ther will also be more terrain areas than desert. So it will be called "An unholy tale"! More info coming soon! I would also like some ideas and suggestions on the campaign! Thank you!

Level 5
Cool this campaign seems like it will do realy well.
Maybe you should desrcibe what the terrain will be a little.

If most is a desert then you could have a
Hawk Catcher
he could summon hawk like the bm but it is used for scouting more then attacking.
He could also "Sense" weak prey. It auto makes him attack weak monsters when he gets near.
Finally as an ult he could use hawk like telepport. It pops up a dialog where do you want to go? and for all allys it could say Would you want to travel on the hawk to ________?
Just a suggestion

Level 10
Nice idea!!! I will think of it. Well the terrain will be like this: South: desert and small villages and also some towns. Mid: Grasslands and small towns, some cites and rivers, heavy forestation. North: Icy mountains, some villages mostly nomad camps and hunters. West: The Empire's Heart, where the big cites are and the capital, where you will challenge the king and win! East: Desert and some cities to the northern parts where there is grass!
The Hawk Catcher idea made me think of a camp where you will be able to hire beast tamers, like hawk catchers, buffalo riders, jaguar lords and other guys like that. Also some races can be made and inhabit each area!! I thought of elves and dwarves, humans and orcs, minotaurs and lizardmen. Each couple will be hostile towards each other (e.g. dwarves vs elves and so on). Choosing your allies will grant you special units and the benefit of freely destroying enemies. But if you attack your allies they'll turn against you. You will also be able to choose Champions, heroes that will have level limits (someway) and so. This will make the battle even better. Special areas will be made, like freezy paths through mountains to reach the dwarven camps or hideouts deep within the forests to cover the elves, deep mines for the minotaurs and marshes for the lizardmen. The Orcs will be out in camps round the human cities and the humans will be fighting from the safety of their forts. Epic battles round the human forts and the big cities will be part of the game as well! Players will have to choose a side and then keep on fighting untill the enemy is killed. Another point will be the siege system! Players will be able to command about 20 different siege units and about 10 special based on the allies of the player. Dominating forts will cause the empire change their stance against you. If you aid the defenders, the King will give you gold (he is so stupid!) and if you aid the attackers, you will be granted access to the deepest fort chambers.

Having won a battle will give you the opportunity to kill your own allies as well. Being that bad will cause all six races to turn against you soon enough. And then, having no mercenaries you will be only able to ask the God of Darkness for help. If something like this happens, then you'll get a special spell to summon dark minions.

Magic will be divided into:
-Elemental magic:
>water
>earth
>fire
>air
-White Magic:
>Healing
>Battle Aid
-Black Magic
>Curses
>Magic Attacks
-Netral Magic:
>Summoning
>Transforming

Special classifications will be created for the units, like warrior, archer, hunter, knight, lord, master etc. Having units that have killed many opponents will be useful as they will "level up". They will get stronger and they will also uncover their names to you. Example: you have an orc murderer and he has killed 150 units, he will get the rank of knight and he will be able to cast some extra spells, he will have enchanced abilites and inventory as well! Some thing like this can change the game dramatically! Another thing will be creating your castle. Having tons of gold will allow you buying items and upgrading your castle. Having a stronger castle will aid you a lot when you want to fight some special enemy. Special enemies will appear every 5 levels and will have special drops. They will be called through a spell (you will type some code for this) and you will fight them to death. You will fight them in your castle alone maybe. They will be strong and very skilled. The castle will give you advantage if ti is made well. Building up special areas in your castle like a catacomb area or so, a teleport area or a storage area will aid you later.
More info soon!!!

Level 4
if it's going to include desert, ever read dune? you should. dune ownz all deserts. a fremen hero would be sweet.

Level 5
This sounds like a great map. + I'm happy that my idea was used.
You might want to change your first post so that way when people first look at it then they can read a short summary and see some different parts. This map seems like it will go realy well.

Gl

Level 10
Ok but not now. Maybe tomorrow because I have no time right now. Sorry for that and about double posting. I hope the admins forgive me about it. So, tell more about your ideas on the map and I was also thinking to include ancient Greek history. Do you like it? Like being in Atlantis and have some more things to use! I am greek so I have tons of info to use on it as well as theories and I can also make it teleport you to Greek areas to do quests or during certain moments or even through portal gates. What do you think?

Level 5
Ok having atlantis will be realy fun. An idea could be doing a quest to get a swim suit so you you can go down deeper into the water. It would be cool if it could deteriate so you have to go back to the guy to get it fixed.

Level 10
I am still making it guys. And it will be a big project the way it goes. Anyway do you think I shall include Ancient Greece in some parts of it? Any ideas on this?

Also the swim suit is very good and it can be used to grant you access to special areas. And why not making the place where the game is played Atlantis? And make it a little like a classic RPG where you will choose your path through quests and be able to rule it as a bad or good guy. It would be better is suppose. We'll see...

Level 5
Here would be a good way to format your first post.

Bosses
name of boss here
Level of boss

Player
  • List of things go here

Object of game
First you must ............

This would help make it easier to understand and be easier to update.

GL

Level 10
Ok soon enough cause I have too little time to work both on the project and the thread, so I choose to work on the project so that you get it faster!!! Well, ancinet Greece shall it be then and actually in Atlantis and some specific locations in Greece, like Delphi or Athens and Sparta. Crete can be used either or some more areas of ancient Greece!!!! So, wait and soon a demo map will be released (about one more week) and it will have about 10% of the features of the campaign!

Level 10
Well, the first level is almost complete after many changes and bug fixes. I had to restart the project all over again, due to a major crash with my pc. But now, it's ok. As soon as the first level is ready, I will send it so that you can tell me your opinion and if my cinematics are good. It's the first time I work on cinematics and quests, but they're ok for a first-timer i suppose. And one more thing: Atlantis will be in war with Egypt and ally with the Greeks. So expect to travel to Greece to ask for help and to Egypt, so that you can spy on enemies. Raiding caravans and destroying monuments will be key part to some missions and also fights in small islands against Medditeranian pirates and other navies. Also, the player characters have been set to 3, an archer, a mage and a fighter. All three of them will be unique and very important to you. Later in-game there will be missions for each of them to acquire special items and so. More info coming soon (the thread first post will be updated as soon as the first level is posted)!

Level 10
To make or play?
To make it will take maybe 1-2 months!
To complete I don't konw, but it will be about 30-40 levels long. So.....
The first level will be complete in the next two days, or even tomorrow and completing it in-game will take about 1 or 1 and a half hour. It's like a tutorial. The game is an RPG like final fantasy with 3 characters now. But it's not turn-based. It will have different items from level to level, even if travelling in the same city twice. Example: You are sent to Sparta to ask about reinforcements. When you leave, you will be able to buy about 20 weapons. Later, when you return, you will be able to buy 30 weapons maybe, but some of the ones you could buy before may not be available now! Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.