• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Rock, paper, scissors weapons and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i want my map to have some tactical depth, im open minded and thinks it can be done in many ways, the problam is the triggering.

heros equip weapons and armor, but i dont want it to be just "4+ armor" and "6+ damage", i want people running around, looking at their enemys equipment and trying to counter it.

that means that weapon A is better when fighting someone in armor B but is a bad idea agienst armor C.

so i bascily need a way to detect the defender and offender's weapons and armor each time someone is attacked and modify the damage.

alternitevly, i can change the armor to function as a damage reducer (that is just reducing 5 points of damage each attack, insted of precents for example), and then have people playing with high damage vs high attack rate.

the problam is that almost anything i can think of requiers me to detect damage, which for my knowladge lags, bugs and should be avoided if possible.

somone has a sulotion for this?

Level 12
Hey DocDude, I'd like to help you with your problem, so do you mind if I state your purpose better? Feel free to correct me.

What DocDude wants are items that can treat each other as attack and defense types, for example piercing vs. medium, siege vs. heavy etc. The main point will be damage reductions from certain types of armor and damage increase vs other types of armor.

Level 7
yeah idodik, thats what i mean.

making items and attahcment, making items equipable and doing all kind of stuff i can with no problem, i just need a way to make some weapons better agienst some armor and the like.

Level 11
The only way I can figure this out is with triggers like say: Hero equips Heavy Armor.

Unit-Change Unit Armor to Fortified or Heavy ,or a dummy I forgot

Then you need to go in Advanced -Game Constant then, Combat- Bonus Damage Table, that's the list of all the bonus damage depending on the type of attack you have to each armor.

Level 7
well im not going to make 5 diffrent heroes out of each hero, it will just make my life hard XD

but i thought of a way around..

instead of giving armor bonus, diffrent armors will give diffrent levels of the Hardened Skin ability, that subcracts the same number from incoming attacks instead of by precents.

so one armor will reduce each attack by 5 points while another will reduce it by 10.
then, diffrent weapons will have diffrent attack speeds, and you'll want to have alot of damage (but you'll suffer from low attack speed) ageinst hard armor and high attack speed (with low damage) ageinst soft armor.

think it can be interesting for the players?

Level 7
it will not be the same as having attack and defence types, but it sure gets around that problem.

the question is if it will be interesting for the players to have this system insted of a simple "spear is good versus metal armor" "knife is good versus unarmored targets" and that..

Status
Not open for further replies.