1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Rise of the Night Elves

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by PrinceYaser, Dec 14, 2016.

?

What do you think about this campaign?

1. Great

47.5%
  2. Good

35.0%
  3. Normal

15.0%
  4. Bad

2.5%
  1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Filthy Kal'dorei.

Good luck though

2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    What is that??
    Thanks mate!

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Kal'dorei means Star Children in Darnassian, the native tongue of the Night Elves.
    That's what they call themselves rather than Night Elves.

4. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hmm, Informing!

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just a little detail pretty much no wc3 map makers knows.

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but these informations are not necessary for map making!

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Depends.
    Could add more depth to the lore.

8. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, in this case, it could be useful.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    prologue:
    -shouldn't ranks be recognizable somehow? The guard knew that the commander (by the way sounds too contemporary) would be coming; didn't she get any description on how she looked?
    -music should be played through its proper channel instead of as sound
    -well, they just defeated the legion but another army is preparing for invasion? Why didn't it come then? Wouldn't that have been smarter?

-the intro is a bit hasty and doesn't really say much about the characters
    -you'd want to properly introduce the players to this story as it's not one everyone knows even if it possibly is related to the WotA; finding things on the way is a good idea but you still need a base/some details for the start

chap1:
    -the legion base looks like that of a Scourge one; I suggest different models which can be found on this site
    -Nature Wave's damage in the description (when choosing the spell) is 0 for all levels
    -Might Light is called holy light in the description; funny thing is that it's called Elune's Light after being chosen; it also is not situated on the second spell's place but on the first place (exactly as Holy Light is located on the Paladin); 200 HP for all surrounding allies is a bit too much (at least increase mana?); I could choose level 2 for the spell when I reached level 2; shouldn't you be able to choose level 2 when the hero is level 3?
    -why is the third spell called Strike Arrow if it also gives evasion chance? Is the hero shooting arrows?
    -I suggest WERT type of hotkeys for abilities (not Q because ALT+Q+Q can get you out of the game)
    -the mine has to be entangled; that's a bit weird since even in melee games, the night elves start with the mine already entangled
    -the upgrade Nature's Blessing is available but cannot be researched due to the fact that the Tree of Life cannot be upgraded to the Tree of Ages; same goes for the upgrades in the Hunter's Hall
    -a while after the first attack started (message), the main quest was given again and the hero moved by herself while the camera panned over her position as in the starting scene; then the optional quest reappeared; four Wisps were created near the Tree of Life too; then... the first attack started again (you should really separate your triggers) and then shortly, the second one
    -I don't think Shaelas should be teleporting like that everywhere; also there's an animation glitch/freeze when she does that in the cinematic scene
    -music (of cinematic scenes) through music channel please
    -well, the archer elf hero did not aid with the Furbolg massacre; Thalaaria is moved back to base... after the scene
    -oh yeah, the map has fog of war not black mask like in the normal campaign
    -again, after the troll quest is completed, the hero is moved to the base...; I don't think anyone wants to waste time on an optional quest for revenge; at least let the trolls give experience or an item, something...
    -killing creeps doesn't give any experience (or is it because level 3 is the max and can be reached on the second attack?) and the trolls near the base certainly drop no item; the wolves in the southwest gave me the unique item Shaman Claws (powerful item IMO)
    -there's a blue invulnerable Doom Guard north of the purple base... he is paused as he does not react
    -the timer blocked on the fourth attack at 1:55 and it remained like that
    -the undead bases can be destroyed with little effort
    -the enemy only seems to be attacking through the western entrance
    -the secondary Gold Mine is too close to the base

chap2:
    -who is Hyena? There needs to be some explanation about the people in the story else we can't relate and care about them; it's like they're just there to be there with no other purpose than that; they just exchange some meaningless words and that's it
    -defend for 10 minutes says the quest but the timer shows 14+ minutes; also, this map's gameplay is basically the same as the one before
    -pressing ESC after the cinematic scene will fade from black to normal view and order the heroes to move near the Trees of Life; oh yeah, then I get one more timer but at least both are synchronized
    -you have no Moon Wells and can't heal or train any units until you build them; meanwhile two wave of Ghouls attack; that's OK but then... those Overlords.. are just too strong (the waves need to be delayed); you can't really make use of the protectors of the Spirit of Elune since there's a high chance a Sorceress might die and end the level in defeat; by the way, there is no quest requirement that says the sorceresses have to stay alive (even if it's somewhat obvious)
    -what is the Night Elf Royal Army doing besides occupying a mine?
    -no black mask, basically you know where the enemy comes from; not sure if somebody comes through the west side

-a story needs characters that mirror real people or at least hypothesize a race/creatures/entities; you have to imagine how a discussion would be in real life, like, what would that person answer if you asked a question or said something; you could put your relatives and friends in situations and see what they respond, then you could use those answers and implement them in a way in your campaign's dialogues; you have to try to be an actor, imagine talking to people, imagine situations. It's not easy, but it's the best way if you want something not to feel plastic but have feeling and be credible

If I were to rate this, I would give it max 2.5/5. You really need to work on it but not with haste. There are a lot of campaigns on this site and they can really inspire you.

Other suggestions

From what I've seen, the only difference the player's race has is the hero Thalaaria; the rest of the units and buildings remain the same; however, in chapter two, some new units appear but are not for the player to use; I suggest working on the techtree to make the game different and interesting.

Quests like those in the first level could very well do without cinematic scenes (transmissions instead); it's not a must but that would make things flow smoothly without annoying interruptions since the level's idea is tension (defense + optional offense) and you don't really want to break that.

Level variation is recommended that's why two defense levels one after the other is not a good idea at all; if kept so, there needs to be some clear objective differences; for instance, in the second one, you'd also have to attack some things but this time not optionally/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    First, thanks for this great wall of text helping review, mate! So, replying:

I will think about how to solve this problem.
    You mean Loading Screen music?
    It is not prepared yet, that army is preparing for attacking.
    I will make a very better prologue map.
    You're right! I will fix it.
    I was thinking about doing this. Thanks for the informing.
    It will be fixed.
    Oh, I had forgotten to fix it!
    It will be done.
    Well, this was a very nice point! It will be fixed.
    Okay!
    It will be fixed.
    It'll be fixed.
    It cannot be....! For myself this was not happend. Anyway, I will check it.
    It'll be fixed.
    What do you mean by??
    Ah, this is a nice point and will be done!
    Black Mask???
    It'll be done.
    Yeah, the max level is 3 because that's the chapter 1!
    I think I should remove him.
    Whhaaaaattt???? It cannot be.... Will check it out...
    Well, I did not consider that so much....
    Yes, because for attacking in two fronts, there must be an AI script and there is no one...
    I think this is not an important thing!
    I will explain her more in developing prologue map.
    Oh my bad! I forgot to change it to 15 minutes. I must audit more...
    Which cinematic?? This must not occur!
    You're right, I must fix this.
    Oh, I forgot again to add it to the quests section, but it appears in game.(All of them must survive)
    I must work on this one....
    Black Mask?? How to use it?
    I will try it...

Thanks for you great review, mate!

I will review your map soon...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, that one is OK. The music that plays during cinematic scenes. It plays as sound instead of as music: use Sound - Play Music (not Sound - Play Music Theme or Play Sound)
    Visibility - Enable Black Mask (trigger).
    At least, make it have less gold or something.
    Right after the intro of the second level ended. If you press ESC, that's what happens. Use the action: Turn Off Trigger.

Also, it would be nice if you could use hidden/spoiler tags because the post is too big :D

And, edited that post and added Other Suggestions, just in case you've missed that.

12. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Okay!
    Ah, I've got it. It will be fixed.
    Done!

13. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    A huge update is coming, guys....

I'm upgrading whole the maps and I'm working on the new missions in the same time!

Special thanks to deepstrasz for his great helping review!

14. B22

B22

Resources:
    Resources:
    Judging from your thread. You have done a good job graphically.
    The maps from the screenshots are pretty good and Loading Screen is awesome.
    However, your grammar needs to be fixed. It was all over the place.
    And one more. If you want to write the story plot, I recommend using normal text rather than an image. It is far more efficient

15. fantocan

fantocan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds good, but rather wait it to be finished to play, dont like spoiling, is it based on Warcraft war of the ancients or an entirelly new story? Also would love to play Highborne in this scenario.

16. Summerflowers70

Summerflowers70

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wonder when you will finish this campaign , PrinceYaser?I cannot wait to play this nightelf campaign:wgrin:.Because the nightelf is my favorite race:).By the way,I will release my own nightelf campaign before long:D.

17. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm heavily working on this campaign. As I said, I'm upgrading and changing the whole maps and I'm making new chapters of this campaign. I will gladly review your campaign, mate!

18. Mgeterno11

Mgeterno11

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks really cool and the pictures are beautiful. :) What font did you use?
    I will check it out soon and review it. :D From the screenshots, the terrain looks excellent.

19. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thanks, mate!
    I used logo websites to make those pictures.
    It is not so good yet, but please test it. I'm working on it hardly, it will be improved.
    Th
    Thanks!

20. Mgeterno11

Mgeterno11

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You welcome, mate. :) What kind of logo websites? Can you recommend me one? And Fonts, too? :D

The review:

Terrain

It is excellent and beautiful, with nice custom doodads. Did you use the ultimate terraining map? The tileset is nice, too. 5/5

Units

It is good, too, especially the model of Thaalaira, and her spells. However, starfall should has a custom icon, the other icons are nice. But the tooltip of the wave says 0 damage. So you should fix the damage to the value you set it in the object editor. 4/5

Gameplay
    The intro campaign screen is beautiful, the music, too, and the defeat of the legion, too. However, you should use a trigger to make the tree of Life entangle the gold mine instantly:

For action: order Tree of life to - Night Elf tree of life - entangle gold mine.

• Unit - Order Tree of Life 0150 <gen> to Night Elf Tree Of Life - Entangle Gold Mine 0001 <gen>

Here you set the mine. The gameplay will be much easier and faster like that.

4/5

Overall, I think this will be an awesome campaign, :D Keep it up. i am really looking forward to it. How many levels it will have?