• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Rise of the Night Elves

What do you think about this campaign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
full

storylogo-png.255095

After the War of the Ancients, Commander Thaalaria and her army were successful in ending the Legion's onslaught. The Legion now invades the Kingdom of Erallune, claiming it for their own. Thalaaria now wants to break the Legion's hold on it...

1234-png.255097
(so far)
thalaaria-jpg.255447
Thalaaria: She is the commander of Erallune kindom's whole army. Only she was that could defeat the Legion's army and bring victory for the Night Elves. She defeated the Legion's first army at her younger years, but the Legion wants to attack them continual again.

btneralia-jpg.255101
Queen Eralia: She is the greatest ruler of Erallune Kingdom that ever seen because of her strange ability at holding alive the race of the Night Elves during the wars between the Legion and her kin. She became the queen of Erallune when she was a teenager. Now, she has bred Thalaaria to become the greatest commander of the Night Elves.

hyenia-jpg.255448
Hyenia Sagebranch: She is Queen's special captain. She is supposed to be Thalaaria's subordinate to learn all of military requirements from commander and become a nice soldier for her homeland.
Progress
Prologue Map (Done)
1th mission (Done)
2nd mission (Done)
Interlude mission (Done)
3rd mission (Still In Progress)

123-png.255096
wc3scrnshot_121416_160602_01-jpg.255115

24-jpg.256900
25-jpg.256901
26-jpg.256902
27-jpg.256903
developmentlogo-png.255135
All works by: PrinceYaser
12-png.255136
Not yet...
Please test and give your opinions!

Attachments

• RotNE.w3n
    9.6 MB · Views: 2,046
Last edited:
Subbing, pretty cool so far, at least for me, aside from it is Night Elven, supporting this in any way I can, downloading as soon as I get good internet connection, and feedback coming soon. Good Luck
Just posted now because of bad Internet connection.
Thanks, your feedbacks are honorable!

Considering the size of the map, there could be a bit more of interactivity, I mean you just sit in your base most of the time, except for occasional raid on trolls as side quest. There is no other incentive to explore. The hero looks quite ugly to me, but that may be me. I didn't find any bugs that impeded gameplay.

Level 12
I played it through and I think there are quite a few things that could use some tweaking:

1. The small stuff: things like starting the map with some workers and an existing mine. Making the map not ping to the sidequest location after you've finished it. Unselecting and pausing all units in a cinematic. Small things that will make your map seem much more polished.

2. The terrain was lacking, at least in my eyes. For example, having the village placed entirely on solid grass terrain made it look like it wasn't finished, while the terrain of other forest parts was patched with dirt/stone terrain, mostly at the size of one tile. The biggest problem though, is that the starting point is right next to the map's edge, with barely a line of trees to separate the player from the map edge. Fortunately that last problem can be easily fixed by making the map a bit bigger (see in the scenario tab of world editor, I don't remember exactly where). As for the other problems, the terrain should have some sort of logic behind it: if you create a forest, have the terrain under it be thicker grass, that sometimes stratches to the player's path. If you Build a village that is a point of interest make it a bit more appealing to the player, change the terrain a bit, go wild, I know you can make it look great.

3. Gameplay: this is obviously an early version so I'll say nothing about being able to reach level 10 and the icon placement (I just did, but I mean it's fine). Thing is at level 10 the hero has about 80 damage, along with trueshot aura and an ability that makes it hit sometimes for x4 the damage (so that's almost 400 total). This is going to be a problem along the line, it's very overpowered.

4. Dialogues and English: I assume English isn't your native language, and that's just fine. All the same, the texts could use some polishing.

With all that said, this is just constructive feedback for a very early version, I really hope you'll continue making it. I am also willing to help with the text in what small way I can.

Considering the size of the map, there could be a bit more of interactivity, I mean you just sit in your base most of the time, except for occasional raid on trolls as side quest. There is no other incentive to explore. The hero looks quite ugly to me, but that may be me. I didn't find any bugs that impeded gameplay.
I played it through and I think there are quite a few things that could use some tweaking:

1. The small stuff: things like starting the map with some workers and an existing mine. Making the map not ping to the sidequest location after you've finished it. Unselecting and pausing all units in a cinematic. Small things that will make your map seem much more polished.

2. The terrain was lacking, at least in my eyes. For example, having the village placed entirely on solid grass terrain made it look like it wasn't finished, while the terrain of other forest parts was patched with dirt/stone terrain, mostly at the size of one tile. The biggest problem though, is that the starting point is right next to the map's edge, with barely a line of trees to separate the player from the map edge. Fortunately that last problem can be easily fixed by making the map a bit bigger (see in the scenario tab of world editor, I don't remember exactly where). As for the other problems, the terrain should have some sort of logic behind it: if you create a forest, have the terrain under it be thicker grass, that sometimes stratches to the player's path. If you Build a village that is a point of interest make it a bit more appealing to the player, change the terrain a bit, go wild, I know you can make it look great.

3. Gameplay: this is obviously an early version so I'll say nothing about being able to reach level 10 and the icon placement (I just did, but I mean it's fine). Thing is at level 10 the hero has about 80 damage, along with trueshot aura and an ability that makes it hit sometimes for x4 the damage (so that's almost 400 total). This is going to be a problem along the line, it's very overpowered.

4. Dialogues and English: I assume English isn't your native language, and that's just fine. All the same, the texts could use some polishing.

With all that said, this is just constructive feedback for a very early version, I really hope you'll continue making it. I am also willing to help with the text in what small way I can.
Thanks for your feedbacks men! I'm working on my campaign according to your points. All these points will be applied in the next update.
Edit: Can you show me English Grammatical errors in this campaign??

First Update:
  • The hero looks quite ugly to me
    Skin of hero has been changed.

• Done some changes on the terrain
  • this is obviously an early version so I'll say nothing about being able to reach level 10 and the icon placement (I just did, but I mean it's fine). Thing is at level 10 the hero has about 80 damage, along with trueshot aura and an ability that makes it hit sometimes for x4 the damage (so that's almost 400 total). This is going to be a problem along the line, it's very overpowered.
    Fixed!

• things like starting the map with some workers and an existing mine. Making the map not ping to the sidequest location after you've finished it. Unselecting and pausing all units in a cinematic.
    Done!
  • As for the other problems, the terrain should have some sort of logic behind it: if you create a forest, have the terrain under it be thicker grass
    Done!
  • If you Build a village that is a point of interest make it a bit more appealing to the player
    Done!
  • Done some other changes.
Updated map is available on the first post.

Please test and give me your suggestions!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
prologue:
-shouldn't ranks be recognizable somehow? The guard knew that the commander (by the way sounds too contemporary) would be coming; didn't she get any description on how she looked?
-music should be played through its proper channel instead of as sound
-well, they just defeated the legion but another army is preparing for invasion? Why didn't it come then? Wouldn't that have been smarter?

-the intro is a bit hasty and doesn't really say much about the characters
-you'd want to properly introduce the players to this story as it's not one everyone knows even if it possibly is related to the WotA; finding things on the way is a good idea but you still need a base/some details for the start

chap1:
-the legion base looks like that of a Scourge one; I suggest different models which can be found on this site
-Nature Wave's damage in the description (when choosing the spell) is 0 for all levels
-Might Light is called holy light in the description; funny thing is that it's called Elune's Light after being chosen; it also is not situated on the second spell's place but on the first place (exactly as Holy Light is located on the Paladin); 200 HP for all surrounding allies is a bit too much (at least increase mana?); I could choose level 2 for the spell when I reached level 2; shouldn't you be able to choose level 2 when the hero is level 3?
-why is the third spell called Strike Arrow if it also gives evasion chance? Is the hero shooting arrows?
-I suggest WERT type of hotkeys for abilities (not Q because ALT+Q+Q can get you out of the game)
-the mine has to be entangled; that's a bit weird since even in melee games, the night elves start with the mine already entangled
-the upgrade Nature's Blessing is available but cannot be researched due to the fact that the Tree of Life cannot be upgraded to the Tree of Ages; same goes for the upgrades in the Hunter's Hall
-a while after the first attack started (message), the main quest was given again and the hero moved by herself while the camera panned over her position as in the starting scene; then the optional quest reappeared; four Wisps were created near the Tree of Life too; then... the first attack started again (you should really separate your triggers) and then shortly, the second one
-I don't think Shaelas should be teleporting like that everywhere; also there's an animation glitch/freeze when she does that in the cinematic scene
-music (of cinematic scenes) through music channel please
-well, the archer elf hero did not aid with the Furbolg massacre; Thalaaria is moved back to base... after the scene
-oh yeah, the map has fog of war not black mask like in the normal campaign
-again, after the troll quest is completed, the hero is moved to the base...; I don't think anyone wants to waste time on an optional quest for revenge; at least let the trolls give experience or an item, something...
-killing creeps doesn't give any experience (or is it because level 3 is the max and can be reached on the second attack?) and the trolls near the base certainly drop no item; the wolves in the southwest gave me the unique item Shaman Claws (powerful item IMO)
-there's a blue invulnerable Doom Guard north of the purple base... he is paused as he does not react
-the timer blocked on the fourth attack at 1:55 and it remained like that
-the undead bases can be destroyed with little effort
-the enemy only seems to be attacking through the western entrance
-the secondary Gold Mine is too close to the base

chap2:
-who is Hyena? There needs to be some explanation about the people in the story else we can't relate and care about them; it's like they're just there to be there with no other purpose than that; they just exchange some meaningless words and that's it
-defend for 10 minutes says the quest but the timer shows 14+ minutes; also, this map's gameplay is basically the same as the one before
-pressing ESC after the cinematic scene will fade from black to normal view and order the heroes to move near the Trees of Life; oh yeah, then I get one more timer but at least both are synchronized
-you have no Moon Wells and can't heal or train any units until you build them; meanwhile two wave of Ghouls attack; that's OK but then... those Overlords.. are just too strong (the waves need to be delayed); you can't really make use of the protectors of the Spirit of Elune since there's a high chance a Sorceress might die and end the level in defeat; by the way, there is no quest requirement that says the sorceresses have to stay alive (even if it's somewhat obvious)
-what is the Night Elf Royal Army doing besides occupying a mine?
-no black mask, basically you know where the enemy comes from; not sure if somebody comes through the west side

-a story needs characters that mirror real people or at least hypothesize a race/creatures/entities; you have to imagine how a discussion would be in real life, like, what would that person answer if you asked a question or said something; you could put your relatives and friends in situations and see what they respond, then you could use those answers and implement them in a way in your campaign's dialogues; you have to try to be an actor, imagine talking to people, imagine situations. It's not easy, but it's the best way if you want something not to feel plastic but have feeling and be credible

If I were to rate this, I would give it max 2.5/5. You really need to work on it but not with haste. There are a lot of campaigns on this site and they can really inspire you.

From what I've seen, the only difference the player's race has is the hero Thalaaria; the rest of the units and buildings remain the same; however, in chapter two, some new units appear but are not for the player to use; I suggest working on the techtree to make the game different and interesting.

Quests like those in the first level could very well do without cinematic scenes (transmissions instead); it's not a must but that would make things flow smoothly without annoying interruptions since the level's idea is tension (defense + optional offense) and you don't really want to break that.

Level variation is recommended that's why two defense levels one after the other is not a good idea at all; if kept so, there needs to be some clear objective differences; for instance, in the second one, you'd also have to attack some things but this time not optionally/

Last edited:
First, thanks for this great wall of text helping review, mate! So, replying:

The guard knew that the commander (by the way sounds too contemporary) would be coming; didn't she get any description on how she looked?
I will think about how to solve this problem.
music should be played through its proper channel instead of as sound
You mean Loading Screen music?
well, they just defeated the legion but another army is preparing for invasion? Why didn't it come then? Wouldn't that have been smarter?
It is not prepared yet, that army is preparing for attacking.
the intro is a bit hasty and doesn't really say much about the characters
I will make a very better prologue map.
you'd want to properly introduce the players to this story as it's not one everyone knows even if it possibly is related to the WotA; finding things on the way is a good idea but you still need a base/some details for the start
You're right! I will fix it.
the legion base looks like that of a Scourge one; I suggest different models which can be found on this site
I was thinking about doing this. Thanks for the informing.
Nature Wave's damage in the description (when choosing the spell) is 0 for all levels
It will be fixed.
Might Light is called holy light in the description; funny thing is that it's called Elune's Light after being chosen; it also is not situated on the second spell's place but on the first place (exactly as Holy Light is located on the Paladin)
Oh, I had forgotten to fix it!
200 HP for all surrounding allies is a bit too much (at least increase mana?); I could choose level 2 for the spell when I reached level 2; shouldn't you be able to choose level 2 when the hero is level 3?
It will be done.
why is the third spell called Strike Arrow if it also gives evasion chance? Is the hero shooting arrows?
Well, this was a very nice point! It will be fixed.
I suggest WERT type of hotkeys for abilities (not Q because ALT+Q+Q can get you out of the game)
Okay!
the mine has to be entangled; that's a bit weird since even in melee games, the night elves start with the mine already entangled
It will be fixed.
the upgrade Nature's Blessing is available but cannot be researched due to the fact that the Tree of Life cannot be upgraded to the Tree of Ages; same goes for the upgrades in the Hunter's Hall
It'll be fixed.
a while after the first attack started (message), the main quest was given again and the hero moved by herself while the camera panned over her position as in the starting scene; then the optional quest reappeared; four Wisps were created near the Tree of Life too; then... the first attack started again (you should really separate your triggers) and then shortly, the second one
It cannot be....! For myself this was not happend. Anyway, I will check it.
I don't think Shaelas should be teleporting like that everywhere; also there's an animation glitch/freeze when she does that in the cinematic scene
It'll be fixed.
music (of cinematic scenes) through music channel please
What do you mean by??
well, the archer elf hero did not aid with the Furbolg massacre; Thalaaria is moved back to base... after the scene
Ah, this is a nice point and will be done!
oh yeah, the map has fog of war not black mask like in the normal campaign
Black Mask???
again, after the troll quest is completed, the hero is moved to the base...; I don't think anyone wants to waste time on an optional quest for revenge; at least let the trolls give experience or an item, something..
It'll be done.
killing creeps doesn't give any experience (or is it because level 3 is the max and can be reached on the second attack?) and the trolls near the base certainly drop no item; the wolves in the southwest gave me the unique item Shaman Claws (powerful item IMO)
Yeah, the max level is 3 because that's the chapter 1!
there's a blue invulnerable Doom Guard north of the purple base... he is paused as he does not react
I think I should remove him.
the timer blocked on the fourth attack at 1:55 and it remained like that
Whhaaaaattt???? It cannot be.... Will check it out...
the undead bases can be destroyed with little effort
Well, I did not consider that so much....
the enemy only seems to be attacking through the western entrance
Yes, because for attacking in two fronts, there must be an AI script and there is no one...
the secondary Gold Mine is too close to the base
I think this is not an important thing!
who is Hyena? There needs to be some explanation about the people in the story else we can't relate and care about them; it's like they're just there to be there with no other purpose than that; they just exchange some meaningless words and that's it
I will explain her more in developing prologue map.
efend for 10 minutes says the quest but the timer shows 14+ minutes
Oh my bad! I forgot to change it to 15 minutes. I must audit more...
pressing ESC after the cinematic scene will fade from black to normal view and order the heroes to move near the Trees of Life; oh yeah, then I get one more timer but at least both are synchronized
Which cinematic?? This must not occur!
you have no Moon Wells and can't heal or train any units until you build them; meanwhile two wave of Ghouls attack; that's OK but then... those Overlords.. are just too strong (the waves need to be delayed)
You're right, I must fix this.
you can't really make use of the protectors of the Spirit of Elune since there's a high chance a Sorceress might die and end the level in defeat; by the way, there is no quest requirement that says the sorceresses have to stay alive (even if it's somewhat obvious)
Oh, I forgot again to add it to the quests section, but it appears in game.(All of them must survive)
what is the Night Elf Royal Army doing besides occupying a mine?
I must work on this one....
no black mask, basically you know where the enemy comes from; not sure if somebody comes through the west side
Black Mask?? How to use it?
a story needs characters that mirror real people or at least hypothesize a race/creatures/entities; you have to imagine how a discussion would be in real life, like, what would that person answer if you asked a question or said something; you could put your relatives and friends in situations and see what they respond, then you could use those answers and implement them in a way in your campaign's dialogues; you have to try to be an actor, imagine talking to people, imagine situations. It's not easy, but it's the best way if you want something not to feel plastic but have feeling and be credible
I will try it...

Thanks for you great review, mate!

I will review your map soon...

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You mean Loading Screen music?
No, that one is OK. The music that plays during cinematic scenes. It plays as sound instead of as music: use Sound - Play Music (not Sound - Play Music Theme or Play Sound)
Black Mask???
Visibility - Enable Black Mask (trigger).
I think this is not an important thing!
At least, make it have less gold or something.
Which cinematic?? This must not occur!
Right after the intro of the second level ended. If you press ESC, that's what happens. Use the action: Turn Off Trigger.

Also, it would be nice if you could use hidden/spoiler tags because the post is too big :D

And, edited that post and added Other Suggestions, just in case you've missed that.

No, that one is OK. The music that plays during cinematic scenes. It plays as sound instead of as music: use Sound - Play Music (not Sound - Play Music Theme or Play Sound)
Okay!
Right after the intro of the second level ended. If you press ESC, that's what happens. Use the action: Turn Off Trigger.
Ah, I've got it. It will be fixed.
Also, it would be nice if you could use hidden/spoiler tags because the post is too big
Done!

B22

B22

Level 6
Judging from your thread. You have done a good job graphically.
The maps from the screenshots are pretty good and Loading Screen is awesome.
However, your grammar needs to be fixed. It was all over the place.
And one more. If you want to write the story plot, I recommend using normal text rather than an image. It is far more efficient

Level 5
Sounds good, but rather wait it to be finished to play, dont like spoiling, is it based on Warcraft war of the ancients or an entirelly new story? Also would love to play Highborne in this scenario.

I wonder when you will finish this campaign , PrinceYaser?I cannot wait to play this nightelf campaign:wgrin:.Because the nightelf is my favorite race:).By the way,I will release my own nightelf campaign before long:D.
I'm heavily working on this campaign. As I said, I'm upgrading and changing the whole maps and I'm making new chapters of this campaign. I will gladly review your campaign, mate!

Looks really cool and the pictures are beautiful. :)
Thanks, mate!
What font did you use?
I used logo websites to make those pictures.
I will check it out soon and review it. :D
It is not so good yet, but please test it. I'm working on it hardly, it will be improved.
From the screenshots, the terrain looks excellent.
Th
From the screenshots, the terrain looks excellent.
Thanks!

Level 15
Thanks, mate!

I used logo websites to make those pictures.

It is not so good yet, but please test it. I'm working on it hardly, it will be improved.

Th

Thanks!

You welcome, mate. :) What kind of logo websites? Can you recommend me one? And Fonts, too? :D

The review:

Terrain

It is excellent and beautiful, with nice custom doodads. Did you use the ultimate terraining map? The tileset is nice, too. 5/5

Units

It is good, too, especially the model of Thaalaira, and her spells. However, starfall should has a custom icon, the other icons are nice. But the tooltip of the wave says 0 damage. So you should fix the damage to the value you set it in the object editor. 4/5

Gameplay
The intro campaign screen is beautiful, the music, too, and the defeat of the legion, too. However, you should use a trigger to make the tree of Life entangle the gold mine instantly:

For action: order Tree of life to - Night Elf tree of life - entangle gold mine.

• Unit - Order Tree of Life 0150 <gen> to Night Elf Tree Of Life - Entangle Gold Mine 0001 <gen>

Here you set the mine. The gameplay will be much easier and faster like that.

4/5

Overall, I think this will be an awesome campaign, :D Keep it up. i am really looking forward to it. How many levels it will have?

What kind of logo websites? Can you recommend me one? And Fonts, too? :D
www.pizap.com
It is excellent and beautiful, with nice custom doodads. Did you use the ultimate terraining map? The tileset is nice, too. 5/5
Thanks, mate! Yeah I used UTM.
But the tooltip of the wave says 0 damage. So you should fix the damage to the value you set it in the object editor.
It will be fixed! Or maybe I would change the spells.
However, you should use a trigger to make the tree of Life entangle the gold mine instantly:

For action: order Tree of life to - Night Elf tree of life - entangle gold mine.
It is not necessary cuz I removed that gold mines.
Overall, I think this will be an awesome campaign, :D Keep it up. i am really looking forward to it.
Thanks for the support!
How many levels it will have?
I think it would have 15 missions. Maybe more and maybe less.

Last edited:
Level 15
You welcome. :) Yes, UTM is cool, but I have nevr tried it before. But I will, for a campaign.And the good thing about it is that its file size is small, despite the lot of imported materials.

I checked pizap.com, and it is cool, I found the fonts. :)

The night elf crushing wave is cool, try to change the ultimate to a special one.

Good luck with the 15 missions, I am gland that this campaign will have lots of levels. Keep it up and waiting for the update.

Third Update

Improvements and works

• Changed the storyline a bit.
  • Changed the Prologue mission and made a longer cinematic that would introduce the characters and the story of past and future events.
  • Changed the whole chapter 1 to another map and quests.
  • Improved chapter 2.
  • Added one interlude between chapter 1 and chapter 2.
  • Making terrain of chapter 3 has been started and the whole map will be ready until future days. And a hero called Elynna has been added:
btnelynna-jpg.262796
  • Done some terrain improvements.
  • Icon of Thalaaria's Nature Wave ability has been changed to this:
btnnaturewave-jpg.262797

• In chapter 3, I've created an special spell for Thalaaria called Elune Bolt. I've created it with triggers. It is strong!
New Legion buildings by @deepstrasz' suggestion:

newbuildings-jpg.262792

Screenshots will be added to the first post later.

Attachments

• NewBuildings.jpg
    NewBuildings.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.