• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Rise of the Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Rise of the Legion
By Panther-Anthro

The second war between Orcs and Humans ended just as Archimonde had set foot upon Kalimdor. Long ago the legoin had been driven from this world by the Night Elves, and their allies. Archimonde set out to to rectify this great injustice, and encountered his old nemesis Cenarius. In a matter of days the two were locked in what seemed to be an eternal struggle, but in a clever and costly gambit Cenarius managed to mortally wound Archimonde, and cast him into the great sea. However, this was not without it's own price, Cenarius himself was injured, and would take many years to recover.

Fate would have it that Archimonde and the legion would not be defeated. Cast into the sea, his earth shaking screams awoke the Naga, and his fel energy corrupted the water, driving them onto the land. The ocean would become poisonous, and the Naga dragged their once former ally back onto the shore. Caring for his wounds, and remembering the injustice the Night Elves had done to them so long ago. Now the few Naga who had rallied to aid Archimonde, and Xavius of the Satyr plan to destroy the pitiful and weak Night Elves.

The waves, and torrents created by Archimonde's near fatal blow had knocked a few alliance ships off course, and they were separated from the main war fleet as it fled from Lordaeron City after the horde's victory. Sails destroyed, and ships barely intact the survivors of this torrential affair would become shipwrecked off the coast of the Barrens. Among them were the great warriors Saiden Dathorand, Derek Proudmoore, and Uther Lightbringer.

Mysteriously as the torrents had come, so too did an emissary to the shipwrecked humans. He called himself Victor Nefarius, and he ruled a kingdom on the Island of Nefarian. He claimed to be the ruler of a hereditary human kingdom that had ruled the island for years. The humans gladly welcomed the idea of an ally in this foreign land, and so an alliance of convenience was made. Little did the shipwrecked humans know that he was infact the son of Deathwing, Nefarian. The human warriors, and supposed humans in his kingdoms were all disguised dragons, plotting to destroy the dragon aspects of Kalimdor to enact the revenge of their aspect leader Deathwing! Indeed, Nefarian has even managed to subdue the Centaur Khanate, and the Razorfen Empire.

Ambitious goblin trade princes enriched by their victory in the second war have set up a profitable trade kingdom, and forged an alliance with the Tauren, and trolls of Zul'farrak. What will become of this emerging power base in Kalimdor?

In response to the return of the legion, the Highbourne under Tortheldrin have formed an alliance out of a dire need for security. Once more elves stand for solidarity against the Rise of the Legion.

Gameplay Information

Type of Map: Upgrade Spawn Based Strategy*Goth Style* but can change by Mode

Number of Players: Free Ally but can change by Mode

Teams Locked or Not locked: Teams are not locked in default mode

Hi, everyone I'm going to be providing more and more information the closer we get to a public release version of the map. Currently there's been a large amount of progress made on the map. I'm honestly delighted to finally have this project underway, as it will be working from an entirely custom terrain map, and it will be the first map to focus entirely on Kalimdor in Glory of the Horde's universe. Not just Kalimdor, but an entirely alternate Kalimdor. Glory of the Horde takes place in a timeline where-in the orcs won the second war. This game is parallel to Glory of the Horde's timeline.

Factions

Nefarian's Brood: The Old God N'zoth, Victor Nefarius, Naga

Elven Alliance: Survivors of Lordaeron, Malfurion Stormrage, and Tauren

Pact of Greed: Trade Empire, Zul'farrak Trolls, and Centaur and Razorfen

The Burning Legion: Archimonde's Legion, Xavius Satyrs, C'thun*Lore dumb sort of, but no better spot*

Gameplay Features

Neutral Content: There are 24 neutral bases. Of these neutral bases 4 are in the south, 8 are in the north, and 12 are in central Kalimdor.

Each Neutral base will be guarded by a powerful creep boss, and will NOT be easy to take, and you would likely fail if you attempted it in the early game.

Neutral bases are normal spawns, and abide by the controlling player's spawn limits. Neutral bases will add 15 to your food limit.

8 of the Neutral bases will be subject to a feature called Hero by Alignment. At these bases you can buy a hero, however the hero you will get is determined by your alignment.

For instance lets say you conquer Feathermoon Stronghold and buy the upgrade: If you're a good faction you'd get a night elf. If you're neutral a native beast. If you're evil you'd get a Naga hero.

Faction Alignments:

Good: Night Elves, Tauren, and Humans.

Neutral: Goblins, Trolls, Centaur, and Highborne.

Evil: Satyr, Nefarian, N'zoth, C'thun and Naga.

Other neutral bases may have powerful abilities such as a weak Global Aura or some other unique benefit.

Since there are 24 player bases, and 24 neutral bases you can easily see the value of conquering the Neutral bases.

Major Alliances: how this works you can form 'major' alliances with certain factions as any race. However, some races get unique content instead of forming such an alliance, I'll talk about that later.

These major alliances will give you access to new units, an improvement at their chosen 'major base' IE: AhnQiraji for C'thun. Such as unlocking three new upgrades. In addition you will gain a new and powerful hero. However, you may only form ONE major alliance. Once a major alliance is activated no other player may use the benefit from it, including players who 'remove' major alliances.

Here's a list of major alliances going in before version 1.0 of ROTL. (IE: before the beta ends.)

Elemental Lords: Al'Akir, Ragnaros, Neptulon, Therazane, Aetherion, and Ahune.

Dragon Flights: Bronze Dragons, Green Dragons, Blue Dragons

Old Gods: Yogg-Sauron

Illidan/Wardens: Maiev or Illidan depending on your alignment can form a major alliance.

Each of these will have unique benefits, and will fundamentally shape your nation.

Certain races are completely barred from certain major alliances.

Nefarian Exception: Nefarian can form most alliances, but he is barred from allying any dragon flight. Instead if he manages to conquer and hold all three dragon flight bases, and activate the ability at his main 'roost'. He will gain dragon form Oynxia, and Deathwing. This is VERY difficult to accomplish, however players can 'take' and use the major alliance event and still not prevent Nefarian from activating this event. In other words it's hard to do, but impossible to prevent completely. If no one has taken these alliances by the time this event fires, then Nefarian eliminates the ability for anyone to form those alliances.

Additional information: Originally I was going to make some of these races playable completely on their own in ROTL, but I ended up deciding in favor of the current twelve. This is my way of adding in the races I wanted to add in, but couldn't do so within the boundaries of warcraft III with the amount of ease I would like.

Anyway, the default mode is Free Alliances, with permanent hero death. However, I'm going to be adding in modes to the map, but you shouldn't be overly frightened, most of them are fairly harmless, and they require 9 out of 12 votes to activate.

Gameplay Modes:

- HM HM is Historical Mode, this removes the allying portion of the game, and forces teams into a 3vs3vs3vs3 format as described in the lore behind ROTL.

- FFA FFA is prretty simple, it breaks all alliances and removes the allying portions of the game. This essentially creates a new environment as well.

Feature Modes:

- NHD NHD is No Hero Death mode. This mode removes hero death from the game, and instead replaces it with a gold based penalty. For instance you lose Ossirian The Unscarred and you must pay 250 gold to bring him back, or you can get that shiny new upgrade you've been wanting. What's more important to you? A hero, or an upgrade? Regardless this is a non-traditional feature, so I'm tying it into a mode.

Alpha Progress

Terrain: 100% Done
Heroes/Units: 100% Done
Triggers: 100% Done
Pictures/Artwork: 100% Done
Testing: 80% Completed

Closed Beta Phase Started

Screenshots

Naga Mainbase: http://i.imgur.com/H5DiJMd.jpg

Ungoro Crater: http://i.imgur.com/aaDEn2k.jpg

Uldum: http://i.imgur.com/YonuVxt.jpg

If people want additional screen shots I'll willingly post more :p.

Information on Me: I'm Panther-Anthro I made Glory of the Horde, Conflict for Sereg D`or, Conflict for Sereg Nen, Azeroth Wars Ascension, Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Calibur, Warhammer Age of Wrath, Warcraft Darkness Rising, and helped make numerous other maps. I've been Chieftain of Clan KOSD on useast for nine years, and I've been making maps for around the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Level 24
So you're saying that N'Zoth is neutral, how is that even possibly when he is an old god? Quoting Nozdormu I'm going to say "They are the reason behind all of the worlds evil." The Old Gods created the Burning Legion and through the Legion the Lich King. Yogg-Saron also stood for the corruption of Neltharion which led to the creation of Deathwing. I'm sorry but adding N'Zoth as anything than chaotic evil just isn't reasonable.

Level 9
Oh, kind of a random comment but there's a few things I'd LOVE to have as models that don't currently exist as models. If there's any chance at all I can get some help on that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mostly need a Prophet Seekram, but he's not used in the normal events. Wanted him for the C'thun major alliance.

Level 9
Yeah, that's pretty close file size is low too. Nice find, thanks I appreciate it. I'm mostly finishing tertiary content/neutral bases if anyone is curious. Does anyone want more terrain pictures, or pictures of anything in particular?

Oh, while I'm at it I've found a few models that work for N'zoth related things, but I'm up for suggestions. I was going to use mostly faceless ones and sea beasts. Keeping with the whole N'zoth = Cthulhu theme.

Level 1
Hey, how do the events work in this game? Do the dragonflight events work the same way as the purchasable heroes at neutrals, or are they and other larger events limited to one? What determines the limit?

Level 1
Nice. I thought I heard N'zoth was made into an evil faction since you posted this. Is that true?

Also, are you planning on releasing other neutrals?

Level 31
Why import with what you can make with the existing doodads?
Terrain and environment is art is based on looks and if you seek for good looks, you are forced to import. You will never achieve certain environment art level with no imports if two same level artists are put to the test. Considering map is multiplayer, you don't have much choice on this one though.

Level 9
That's possible, depends on what you're trying to do with the terrain though. Somethings that look good aren't good for gameplay. I've always thought it was a fine line.

Anyway, Closed Beta started as of today. Terrain is 100% done, as is many other things. Intending to have an open Beta release at the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.