• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ringwraith Pack (War of the Ring)

"Open in the name of Mordor!"
- Khamûl the Black Easterling

Featuring
- Black Rider (Messengers of Mordor)
- Khamûl (Lord of Dol Guldur)

Author's Notes
The Black Rider and (slightly outdated) Khamûl both have mounted and dismounted animations, thus the despicable filesize. Since there is no regular horse skin in Warcraft III, I could not make the horse look like a black horse, so the Slavemaster/Warlord's horse will do.

I recently learned that the Ringwraiths are not undead, they are still alive (Holy shit!) Like Bilbo, the Nine obtained unspeakably long life. Unlike Bilbo, they were directly "changed" by Sauron, and they became such unnatural beings that their very presence instilled a primordial fear in friend and foe alike over the sheer wrongness of their existence.

Keywords: Nazgul, Black, Rider, Ringwraith, Wraith, Ring, War, Of, The, Rings, Lord, Sauron, Mordor, Evil, Ghost, Mounted, Dismounted, Horseman, Knight, Death

Changes
- Added Classic Khamul
Previews
Contents

Black Rider (Model)

Classic Khamul (Model)

Khamûl (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Works in-game, performs appropriately and is a good addition to the model section. Excellent work!
Level 14
The Black rider is fantastic, and its nice that both of the models is made only with ingame textures, but something with Khamul is unsettling for me:
The armor could use a darker texture to fit with the Dark robes and the theme (maybe that is just the concept though), and he is way too short, looks like a dwarf
Maybe give him more slower attack animations, such fast animations with the mace looks odd
Also, why the models look "stealthy", for the lack of a better word, in the On foot animations?
Also spell effects for spell animations would be nice

Last edited:
Level 14
Oh, now i understand the black rider's stand alternate animations
How does he look short? O-o

I don't know how to put it really... his proportions look small compared to, for example this Nazgûl (maybe because that one has robes), It is especially noticeable in the stand alternate (on foot) animations, might be because his WC3ish proportions though, but i think WC3 proportions don't fit him in this case...dunno.

Last edited:
Level 64
I'm open to suggestions to improve the Witch King's armour/proportions

The Nazgul model was based on the Nazgul in LotrO, which were bigger and more ghoulish than those in the artwork that inspired this particular model.
200px-Wounded_Nazg%C3%BBl.jpg

Here is the concept art I sketched out after I studied the poses and themes of the paintings above
blackrider_concept-png.315098

I could upload more concept art like this for each model I work on, but I don't want to take up people's bandwidth

Level 14
I'm open to suggestions to improve the Witch King's armour/proportions

The Nazgul model was based on the Nazgul in LotrO, which were bigger and more ghoulish than those in the artwork that inspired this particular model.
200px-Wounded_Nazg%C3%BBl.jpg

Here is the concept art I sketched out after I studied the poses and themes of the paintings above
blackrider_concept-png.315098

I could upload more concept art like this for each model I work on, but I don't want to take up people's bandwidth
I think that my proportions problem with khamul probably stems from the alternate animations, and looking at the concept, his body should be a bit taller
The armour, like i said, should use a darker colour/texture
Also, according to the concept, maybe the armour could be changed to something like the armour of your Numenorean soldiers, that will definitely make it better.
Or, probably you could just give him a robe.
Edit: i also found out that the cape clips with the horse in attack -2

Last edited:
Level 19
Oooh i like these cartoony boys, Dave, a question: What you making all these models for? I mean Im seriously not complayning, just like, you have so many ringwraiths from every incarnation now that its even hard to choose what one to use! Is that for the sake of every itteration or something like lotrO where you go around the eras?

Edit> I find it a bit funny how they pull their weapons out of hammer space

OH MY.... 5/5

One ask: The Death Knights (specially from Warcraft I ) is based on Nazguls?

I'd say the wc3 versiosn are more akin in role than the ones in wc2. They have a limited number, tend to be made of powerfull knights and carry around magical runed swords that hurt your soul. Also their leader is some sort of lich king.

The wc2 ones were more wizard like, but in appearance they do have more similarity. Wc1 had necrolytes tho :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The cape is clipping through horse's tail in the walk 2 animation. Not a fan of the portraits, especially the black riders' with that low res sword texture in it.