• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Revert back model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi, dear member(s)!

I used the OBJ TO MDX converter on this model's low version.

Well, for my suprises... everything going well. (For now)
However, I faced with a problem... (I read it to how solve, but the answer is hazy and not really understandable... and the tutorials give a heck about people, just bunkum!)
The model turned upside, and I really not able to turn back to it original position.
SO PLEASE HELP ME!
And I have other questions:
Where I can ascertain the model's path? (Which is the file path, you know for example: Textures/Mr. Popebathol.blp) Everyone handle this natural, like they know from some secret source!
Should I need to add textures from the model? I received two png files for the model, one of them is clearly textures. HOW I need to add the textures to make it work? (Please shortER answer and do not link me 3234342 paged tutorials)

(Otherwise I currently learn things from youtube, but making this model are hard now and I really not want to make a substandard quality. :'( )
(Do not mention Maya, for known reasons :D )

Thank you (for the help too)!

Level 29
The model is using a different coordinate system, probably one where the Z axis is facing towards the screen, and the Y axis goes upwards, while Warcraft reverses them.
To solve this, either, preferably, change your original model's coordinate system (how to do this will depend on the program you use, and also some exporters add this as an option), or create a global sequence to your model's root node, and have it rotate the model to match Warcraft's axes.

If you mean what paths to input in the World Editor's import dialog, this depends on you. You specify the paths in the file (via Magos, or writing manually in MDL files). These are the paths you need in the editor.
Generally speaking, unless you did something unusual, keep the model as the default path (warcraft3mapImported/*.mdx or however it was called), and for textures remove the warcraft3mapImported/ part.

If you want to use your textures, you must convert them to BLP files, using one of the many tools on the hive that do this.

Level 8
33dcoj5.png

Above you can see the screenshot, when it is not enough, I will upload a paste with the mdx.

Level 29
As far as I can tell, almost none of your vertices are actually attached to the single node in that model, so you can't go with the global sequence thing unless you attach them.
Either way, you will need to actually make a skeleton and skin your mesh, unless you are making a static unit that never moves.
Since you are making this model, I would really encourage you to fix the axes thing in the correct place - the geometry (swap the axes in the program you use, or let the exporter do it, if it supports the option).

Level 8
I downloaded this model from turbosquid. Convert it low version to obj and after it I convert it to mdx

Unfortunately, I am far too unskilled for the above written steps. I only able to attach Arthas's head to militia (yt tutorial). It seems I need an expert to do it. I can not accept substandard quality nor my own lower-substandard quality.

Level 8
Well... techincally not. Though I finished that thing, but in mdlvs:
- Error pop-up appears as I opened the texture view, it should show the magma skin, which I applied to the model. Anyway the model can be animated, but this texture thing requires a solution, if you know one tell me. I too will seek solution. (Maybe if I add texture when I import the .obj in milkshape) - SOLVED
I also make studies in that mdl/mdx thing. QUESTIONS: Only mdl files can be animated? I read a lot of thread/webpage and they just gainsay eachother mostly. :/
Can I make animations in Magos World Editor?
Warshape is useful/usable?

Last edited:
Level 29
MDL is a textual representation of MDX.
With MDL you can write things by hand, and some people prefer this for some things, like adding textures (or features not supported by common programs like Magos - omni (point) lights for example).
I don't believe you can animate in Magos, and I have no idea about Warshape.

Status
Not open for further replies.