• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera's Model Studio

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
This is Retera's Model Studio v0.04 Public Beta. It is not finished! But it is something that works and is better than the Matrix Eater application, and is compatible with Patch 1.32.

Retera's Model Studio is the second evolution of the Matrix Eater project. It is a standalone MDL and MDX model editor. The project has diverged from the Matrix Eater that is available here on the Hive, and become a different program with features that do not totally overlap -- although my goal is for this to entirely replace the Matrix Eater.

Features:
  • Open and view MDL and MDX model files
  • CASC Data browser with double-click to view model, or texture, using JCASC from DrSuperGood
  • Attempts to support every single Warcraft III Patch up to and including Patch 1.31
  • MPQ Data browser seamlessly replaces CASC browser when using older patches of the game
  • 24 color "Team Color" menu will seamlessly swap to 12 colors when using an older patch of the game
  • Edit the model geometry (Select by Vertex, Select by Face, Select by Group)
  • Editor hotkeys that were not present in the Matrix Eater predecessor (QWER for edit mode, ASDF for select mode)
  • Control which Geosets are editable at one time
  • Animation Previewing (No particles or ribbons yet)
  • An "Open Internal" menu for loading game models quickly
  • Can open and save MDX to MDL or MDL to MDX using a converter that supports features such as ReplaceableId on Particle Emitters better than some alternatives
  • Includes a basic UV map editor
  • Multiple GUI themes available in the Preferences Window
Experimental Features:
  • Create a new blank model with basic planes and boxes
  • Can open BLP or PNG images for previewing (similar to Magos application)
  • Includes an Edit Textures menu to view the list of used textures, and quickly change used paths.
  • Quick Browse: Opening a new model in the Data Browser will close unsaved old ones (can be turned off in preferences)
  • Customizable layout, allowing you to draw components of the UI into different places
  • Window -> Reset Layout to reload the default layout
  • T-Pose edit mode, which can move mesh based on assigned bones in a more intelligent way
  • Cluster selection mode, similar to Group mode but using connected mesh rather than assigned VertexGroup
  • Animation edit mode, which can edit and modify animations (Warning: uses Hermite and Bezier by default, and inserts incorrect inward and outward tangents that will cause visual "vibrations" of nonlinear models in some cases, this is a fixable bug, needs more time)
  • Hive Browser is a feature that does not work and was added only as a UI mockup to discuss technology, and was included by accident in V0.01. It will be removed in V0.02, as to my knowledge, the required server technology for the hypothetical feature to work was not built.
Limitations:
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application cannot pin a Geoset to be visible but not editable
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application gives no indication of a node's name graphically in the 2D editing space
  • No user interface to control mounting system for MPQ/CASC hybrid loading system, so it will break again in Patch 1.32 or whenever Blizzard moves data once again
  • Inherits WC3 cached install directory information from Matrix Eater, which can be removed in the case of incompatibility and is located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\JWC3\user.profile
  • After running this application, configuration settings from the Matrix Eater application may become corrupted and not work correctly, causing strange white background errors (This application will not be affected)
Required for running Retera's Model Studio:
  • A Java SE Runtime Environment. A bundle is included with a Windows 64-bit EXE launcher but if you want the application to run on Linux or Mac then you must install the Java SE Runtime Environment separately.
  • The above statement means that if you are a 32-bit Windows XP user, the EXE application will not function (only tested with Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit)
  • A valid Warcraft III Installation (only tested with Patch 1.22 through Patch 1.31)
Additionally bundled applications (main methods in the same Java application included as EXE files):
  • Includes the AnimTransfer EXE that was previously included with Matrix Eater, which will use the Retera Model Studio MDL and MDX parser, which has significant subtle improvements over the one in the Matrix Eater application thanks to contributions from Ghostwolf.
  • Includes the ObjectEditor EXE shown in YouTube videos that has custom folders based on unit race, and can be opened multiple times simultaneously and can select, copy, and paste multiple Units between two running instances of the software. (Known to have bugs, requires Windows Clipboard, fails on Linux)
  • BlpConv EXE that can be used to convert TGA to BLP using DrSuperGood's blp-iio-plugin on systems where Magos or BLP Lab are not working (although these two alternative tools are typically superior to mine)
v0.04.2b
  • Fixed a bug in "Edit/delete model components" reported by Hive user @Makkad (retains FaceFX chunks now)
v0.04.2
  • Tiny change requested by discord user VictorZ that allows "Rotate Type-In" to work in the Animation Editor. (The code for this was copied almost directly from the Twilac version of 0.05, so you should seriously probably just use 0.05!)

v0.04.1
  • Opening a file in a folder does not walk the directory tree of that folder
  • Scripts -> Skin Splice function added upon request from Vulfar
v0.04 for 1.32.10
  • Fixes the program to work with the new Warcraft III Patch 1.32.10 that changed the TFVS formatting for some reason.
  • Includes some really minor internal bug fixes over the previous version
v0.04:
  • Merged the version known as "Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack" to be the mainline version of the tool going forward (this version includes all of the fixes listed here)
  • Added support for Reforged assets and a bunch of bug fixes related to working with those
  • Added "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 800" to convert Reforged Classic Models to the legacy classic model format, as well as "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 1000" to convert legacy game client models to match the format used by the "Classic Graphics" of Reforged.
  • Added a "Reforged Graphics Mode" and "Classic Graphics Mode" in the data sources chooser panel
  • Added the "Model" tab which is buggy and unfinished
v0.03:
  • Changed the program to use Java 11. Had trouble exporting the JAR from Eclipse, so I changed it back to Java 8 for now.
  • Changed the program to use the latest version of DrSuperGood's JCASC, which requires Java 11 to use, then I modified his code so that it did not require Java 11 so that we could continue deployment in the previous fashion.
  • Changed the startup sequence to use a "data source chooser" view, which is also available in Preferences. This allows users to load CASC or MPQ data in a way that is intended to be straightforward and clear to the user, and for CASC data the user able to choose the locale to load from the game. Locales that are present in the CASC's list but have not been downloaded from Blizzard are shown in dark red. These dark red options won't work until you launch Warcraft III at least one time using that locale.
  • Changed the startup sequence to return the user to the "data source chooser" any time that the program crashes during startup, so that the user is always able to reconfigure their settings.
  • Changed the model previewer to include the rendering of Particle Emitters, so that users can have a better feel for how their models might look in-game. This is a nontrivial task that involves many hundreds of lines of code replicating the behavior of the game and it was only possible because of the works of Ghostwolf, which I translated nearly directly from JavaScript into Java.
    • "Squirt" mode particles will emit at random times when they should not because of a difference between my code and Ghostwolf's code (his does not have this bug).
    • Also, priority plane and layering are known to have issues.
  • Added a JSON parser that loads the "filealiases.json" data when using CASC. This file is used by the 1.30 and 1.31 clients to support removed legacy files inside the Warcraft III game, and it will now be supported by the Retera Model Studio when viewing models. This will fix missing textures in some instances when the textures were not missing in-game.
  • Changed the default application data folder to be named "ReteraStudio" instead of "JWC3". This change removes bad interactions with the "Matrix Eater" application where the "Retera Model Studio" and "Matrix Eater" would write clashing versions of the same data to the same settings file (see "AppData/Roaming/ReteraStudio" on your computer).
    • This will cause a reset of all user settings for the Retera Model Studio version v0.03.
    • If you wish to avoid a settings reset, copy your settings file from "AppData/Roaming/JWC3". However I do not promise backwards compatibility.
  • Fixed an issue with the Quick Browse option so that turning it off and on will work correctly.
  • Added a scroll bar to the "Change Animation Lengths (by Scaling)" popup. (Thanks Mythic!) This popup is now listed under the "Scripts" menu.
  • Added 3 new GUI Themes: HiFi, Acryl, and Aluminium. These are all from the JTattoo library. Also, the "Dark" theme was technically the "Noire" theme from the JTattoo library, and it has been renamed accordingly. Aluminium is now the default theme (this can still be changed in the Preferences Window).
  • Changed code in the BLP loading pipeline used for rendering models and icons that aims to avoid destruction of texture data that is beneath an alpha channel yet loaded on a model's surface regardless of the alpha channel. Previously visual artifacts were visible in some cases that were not in accordance with how the textures would display in the Warcraft III game.
  • Added an "Edit" button in the Time Bound Chooser panel, but it does not actually work yet and will be fixed in a future version.
  • Changed some code with the "X" button on the program and how closing model files functions, so that it should not be able to bug out and fail to close a model or fail to close the application in a way unexpected by the user.
  • Added a system in the 3D displays that compares the aspect ratios known to the application with the aspect ratios known to the graphics card that attempts to use this information to fix the renderer when used on desktops that have the UI Scale setting specified. This was tested on Windows 10 with the UI scale, and it still fails on multiple monitor configurations where the second or third monitor have differing UI Scale specified. However, it should always work correctly on the main display when previously it may not have worked correctly at all.
  • Added a Preferences option to disable rendering particle emitters, as well as a separate option to disable rendering particle emitters in the Editor view.
  • Changed the "Use Boxes for Pivot Points" option so that it also affects the 2D displays in the Animation Editor.
  • Changed the Right-Click mouse button not to do anything on the Outliner widget, so that it can popup an "Edit" option on a popup menu in a future version of the software.
  • Changed the code that converts program data to MDX at Save time, so that some models that previously would not save due to state corruption inside the Model Studio will now be able to save. There may be more similar bugs yet to be fixed.
  • Changed the SLK parser used to load Unit Data so that it should be able to load data from the Reign of Chaos and from Project Revolution, in case users wish to load that data using the new game data source choosing settings.
  • Changed the Unit Browser to reload its contents when the program data source is changed. Previously, the "View -> Change Game Directory" option was likely to change the internal setting but keep previously cached information in the Unit Browser.
  • Added a command line option, "-forcedataprompt" to force the program to start with the Data Source Chooser window, so that users can specify their Warcraft III game data source without launching the application.
  • Changed how missing textures resolve so that they should resolve to a white surface. This should hopefully remove the irritating popup.
  • Attempted to make the Perspective view constantly repaint itself to always update dynamically, however in practice this is still not working in some cases.
  • Changed the texture loader so that a default Tree texture will be loaded when the replaceable texture ID is not known. This does not yet help with previewing cliff models but it means that the Mountain Giant and similar models should preview decently.
  • Added a scroll bar to the Texture Manager shown with "Tools -> Edit Textures" for use on models with many textures
  • Reorganized some of the program menus to attempt to make them more logical (Based on some suggestions from Hayate, many thanks! If only this program could be updated as quickly as his mockup UI!) More changes to these may be added in a future version, as they are still rather disorganized.
    • The new "Scripts" is a place for one-off script utilities that don't fit anywhere else, and maybe be user modifiable to include custom code in the future. At this time, it is only a preset list.
    • "Scripts -> Export Animated to Static Mesh" is a new option to build snapshot models. Unfortunately, it only snapshots the currently timeline in the Editor view, not in the Viewer that you see when you start the application. Also, it discards all node information, including Billboarded nodes, so camera-centric planes will be left to face forward instead of the camera.
    • "Edit -> Optimize" now include an option to merge all geosets that share like materials and visibility that is called "Minimize Geosets". Misha and a few other users have been asking for this option for years. I have not tested it very extensively and there may still be bugs in it. It worked on one or two sample cases that I experimented with.
  • In v0.01/v0.02 I added an option in Program Preferences to allow loading Non-BLP textures, so that users can open a PNG file or a model that references a PNG file even though these are generally not valid MDX files when used inside the Warcraft III game. This option may have been changed in the newer one to fix bugs, according to some of my code history information.
  • Fixed a crash relating to parsing WTS files for unit data, such as when the Data Source Chooser is used to load a custom map file as an MPQ.
  • Changed "Error: A matrix's bone id was not referencing a real bone!" to be a console log line instead of a popup, so that users do not receive a spamming wave of popups when opening a model file.
  • Changed the model parser to accept models with missing Pivot Points (as the Warcraft III game does), so that the Retera Model Studio is able to open some MDX models that previously would have caused a crash popup.
v0.02:
  • Removed Hive Browser UI mockup that did not work
  • Wrapped the startup code in a block that will catch and display errors in a GUI
  • Fixed an issue where users who had never run the Matrix Eater application in the past would have the Retera Model Studio application crash the first time it was run
Personal note: On the Matrix Eater application, I left a note where I said:
I really wanted to revamp this program and add new features and write a tutorial before I uploaded it onto the Hive, but I just haven't had time recently, and I want to stop sitting on this updated version because it has several internal fixes that should make it less likely to save buggy MDX models and so I feel the community deserves this new version in case anybody is using the program -- regardless of whether I end up getting the time to improve it to match up with my dreams or not.

This application does not solve that concern of mine. I am not uploading this as a finished product. But as we have seen with Patch 1.31, some times, software is pushed into production when it isn't ready. That is the case with this application. I want more than I have. I just can't stand not to share with the community what I have anymore, because I feel a deep sense of guilt for anyone who is using the Matrix Eater application and forcing themselves to mod on Patch 1.26 or some nonsense, while the above application existed on my computer and has for almost a year.

I believe in the power of open source, and this application is entirely open source. I have been developing it for about two years since the Matrix Eater was posted, and it has evolved out of the same codebase. This is the same GitHub link that was included on the Matrix Eater program, but it now contains the source for Retera Model Studio:
Retera/JWC3
Previews
Contents

Retera Model Studio 0.04.4m (For Patch 1.33) (Binary)

Retera's Model Studio 0.4.5j (Experimental) (Binary)

Reviews
Archian
If it wasn't for this tool, Reforged Modeling wouldn't have become what it is today. In recognition of this, the Hive Administration team awards Retera's Model Studio a Director's Cut status. @Retera

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
For some reason .blp textures I import don't want to show anymore. They aren't even loaded by the UV Mapper.
anima.png

Tried even an exported texture from another model and the same.

In the Reforged Hack version, it just shows as blank without any error.

The texture disappears from the texture manager after saving and reloading the model.

EDIT: so they need to be attached to a geoset. I had to do that with Magos' since I don't know if Retera's can.

Last edited:
Level 18
It's incredible to have such a streamlined tool made by a community member.

I managed to get a few simple models rolling in matter of minutes / hours using your tool and tutorials, considering I'm nowhere near an artist it is amazing.

We are really lucky to have you Retera.

I can only wish the Warcraft Reforged team does something great to breath a new life in the modding community as well as bring the required optimization to run RMS more fluently with Reforged assets.

Big thanks to you not only for your tool (which would be amazing in itself) but also for your tutorials and support in general.

Infinite/5

I really appreciate your glowing review, but in my mind Retera Model Studio is quickly becoming a jaunk program. That's halfway between junk and jank.
I spent more time talking to people on discord about Warcraft modding than I actually spent modding. Everything feels like a totally lost cause, and I don't blame Blizzard at all, I kind of blame myself. I have videos of myself in 2017 after a Blizzard insider mentioned offhand there would be a remaster, and in these videos of myself I talk about how it will struggle greatly and how my Warcraft 3 experience doesn't need HD graphics.

I made a discord server dedicated to Retera Model Studio, but I made the server on my phone at 1 am after reading someone telling me that using my software felt like, and I quote:

i feel like I try to clean throat throught the a**(edited)
[1:31 PM]
this is what I experienciung when I do models in RMS!
[1:33 PM]
and the only thing you will answer me " ok man learn coding and do better!"

And I am totally on board with this criticism. That's why I made the Retera Model Studio discord server. I was becoming such a discord addict that I would talk to these people distantly, using a device that can run Chrome Browser but not RMS, and it makes it feel like everything I say on Warcraft modding is a lie. I always tell people it feels possible but I can't do it just this minute. If I had a dime for every time someone requested something of me on Hive or Discord and I just stopped responding, I'd probably be a pretty wealthy guy right about now.

So I desperately hoped Retera Model Studio Users Group discord that I created would make me feel so guilty that I would finally serve the people instead of just sending messages of, "Yea, that's probably possible, I could do it later."

But recently I just stopped checking my own server, abandoning everyone to a purgatory waiting for features as though I was actively developing them, which -- I "want" to be -- but it's not my job! Year long break from updates? I don't have a problem with that. If I want a code change, I'll do it while I'm thinking about it.

But the glorious thing about this modern internet is that it brings out the extemist in all of us. As I leave Retera Model Studio like a twisted horcrux screaming in the shadows, I have begun to seek my eternal reward. Everything is made possible by other users on the Hive. If we're being honest, it's all owed to them. But that doesn't matter anymore, it just means I need a credits list.
RMS always revolved around this sort of fake dance, constantly trying to reinvent bits and pieces of the Warcraft 3 engine and then stick them together again in different ways to serve me. My path towards my eternal reward began when I realized I shouldn't be dancing with this truth, I should embrace it, like neverbefore. Why rewrite a thousand shattered pieces of the game if I could simply rewrite the entirety of it in one go?

This is my liberation, the illusion that defies dreams...

If you want updates before my eternal reward is complete, it's going to have to fall on someone else's shoulders now to pick up the ugly carcass of the Retera Model Studio codebase. My new project is a kind of vacation, yet so enthralling that I refuse to let go and go back.

Level 4
I think that the issues of frustration with Reforged are not enough reasons to lose hope for a very useful tool like RMS, there is a very large new audience hidden in this whole story, which is very interested, but they don’t use or still buy Reforged for the bad fame created and for fear of spending money on a game that doesn't work, but actually works, is suffering all the necessary corrections and updates, in addition to a great graphics engine.
I do not think that a communication vehicle based on "real-time chat" like Discord, is a more productive or effective mechanism for interacting between users, to improve a tool whose demand is a game like Warcraft, since the The author speaks English and when the current largest audience is around 70% in Asia, European multilingual countries and South Americans. For linguistic reasons ... I am discouraged by Discord.
By the way, RMS already provides us with enough reasons for satisfaction, as it already has 75% of what other classic programs have for editing, some bug fixes and a few more additions can summarize it in one of the most powerful modeling tools created by fans.
If you are a good modeler, RMS can provide you with a multitude of options to easily put your most extravagant desires into practice. I still don't understand why Retera is not so recognized and credited by Warcraft forums worldwide, perhaps many are unaware of the modeling power of RMS.
Not everyone is a modeler, but for those who enjoy this art, Reteras model studio brings Reforged to life! That's the truth!

Last edited:
I just published version 0.04 that is including all the changes from this year that were included over in the thread for handling Reforged data. For users who are usually using the version on that other thread, not much has changed in this release since the ReterasModelStudioV0.04.2020.09.19.zip experimental version. I am posting it here not because I consider it to be finished, but because I want more users to consider the Reforged-supporting version of the program as the official version going forward. A lot of people were asking why the version on the tools section did not work even for Warcraft 3 classic on Patch 1.32+.

To that end, I have also added to the program title the text ~Supports up to War3 1.32.9.16207~ so that users know what Warcraft III version the program that they are using was tested against.

I still don't understand why Retera is not so recognized and credited by Warcraft forums worldwide, perhaps many are unaware of the modeling power of RMS.
I can hardly find any posts about RMS on Chinese forums. I only found that only one Chinese player knew RMS, he seemed to call RMS "sheep" because of the RMS icon.
I translated two videos of making HD models to the Chinese YouTube website. But they have not received much attention. I couldn't find anyone with similar interests in the Chinese forum, and I felt very sad.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1zV411U7ce/
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Xa411A7iK/

Level 4
I can hardly find any posts about RMS on Chinese forums. I only found that only one Chinese player knew RMS, he seemed to call RMS "sheep" because of the RMS icon.
I translated two videos of making HD models to the Chinese YouTube website. But they have not received much attention. I couldn't find anyone with similar interests in the Chinese forum, and I felt very sad.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1zV411U7ce/
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Xa411A7iK/
This is quite strange, because the Chinese themselves highly value the variety and edition of the models and they themselves do not have any tools that come close to the resources that the RMS provides.
But you know what I believe, possibly 80% of the Chinese community doesn't even have W3 Reforged. lol

I'm exporting models with CascViewer. Magos can't open the models anymore (after reforged I think). So I can't edit the original war3models.
I haven't edited particles yet with RMS so not sure if you can either, but if not, you can convert it to MDL and do it with notepad(++).

Level 4
like this a right click then this optionView attachment 371107
then this comes upView attachment 371108
So, have you tried to spin with specific values?
This rotation problem had already been stressed in another post once, you can type it, but then it doesn't rotate, at least in the last version of the RMS that I checked, it didn't work by putting exact values.
Although there is a configuration for this ... It will only rotate if done manually, on top of the model, randomly...

So, have you tried to spin with specific values?
This rotation problem had already been stressed in another post once, you can type it, but then it doesn't rotate, at least in the last version of the RMS that I checked, it didn't work by putting exact values.
Although there is a configuration for this ... It will only rotate if done manually, on top of the model, randomly...
yep, works perfectly for me, any number i put it rotates.
i am running v0.04.2020.08.10 Nightly Build.

never had such a problem like that.

Level 3
Hey guys,

a graphics bug just randomly appeared in RMS.
As you can see in the screenshot i have graphic bugs on all menus and toolbars. Makes it pretty hard to use the tool.
I last used RMS in July and still use the same version BUT i upgraded my Mainboard and CPU from Asus Z170 and I7 6700k to Asus B550 STRIX-F and AMD 5900X.
I think the bugs appear through th upgrade but I am not sure.

Any help appreciated.

upload_2021-1-5_22-32-37.png

Hey @Depleted , I know this might be a common question, but have you made certain your graphics drivers are up to date?
I mostly developed this program on a AMD Ryzen 2700x with a 2080 Ti (although it's been a while since I checked the specs, was pretty sure this was accurate).

So I think that with the right drivers, switching to AMD processor should still be OK to do, but there could be some special case that I don't know about yet.

Level 3
Hey @Depleted , I know this might be a common question, but have you made certain your graphics drivers are up to date?
I mostly developed this program on a AMD Ryzen 2700x with a 2080 Ti (although it's been a while since I checked the specs, was pretty sure this was accurate).

So I think that with the right drivers, switching to AMD processor should still be OK to do, but there could be some special case that I don't know about yet.

@Retera Thank you for your reply. Yes my drivers are all up to date. Bios Version is also on the latest sable Verision (not including Beta Versions).

In the Screenshot are my actual specs.
I changed MB and processor everything else is like before where the programm worked.

upload_2021-1-7_14-32-56.png

I already reinstalled Java JRE. I tried the Exe and jar of RMS.
I tried the Version 4.0 and the hack version 4.0.
I even tried to close all other programs and terminate all processes that are not nessecary.

But i cant explain where the bug comes from.
When I start RMS it works for 10 seconds to 2 min. Then the graphic glitches start and seems to even get worse with time.

I can try to install Beta BIOS and reinstall my Windows again but i before i wanted to ask maybe someone knows this problem.

Some things to try:
Try running from command line. I put some tips to debug a java program here:
Retera's Model Studio

Maybe if you do these steps and run the program from CMD then it will show some error message at the time of the graphical glitches?

Other thing to try is this -- While the program is running in the first seconds before the graphical glitch, try to go into "Edit > Preferences" and change "Theme" to "Java". Then, restart the Retera Model Studio. That will render with the simplest java theme. It might render differently and possibly avoid some problems.

Which version of the JRE are you using? The included one?

Level 3
Some things to try:
Try running from command line. I put some tips to debug a java program here:
Retera's Model Studio

Maybe if you do these steps and run the program from CMD then it will show some error message at the time of the graphical glitches?

Other thing to try is this -- While the program is running in the first seconds before the graphical glitch, try to go into "Edit > Preferences" and change "Theme" to "Java". Then, restart the Retera Model Studio. That will render with the simplest java theme. It might render differently and possibly avoid some problems.

Which version of the JRE are you using? The included one?

I tried all of these steps, the debugger didnt show anything it worked normal without any error messages.
Changing the skin also dindt help.

After all i finally updated my BIOS today to a Beta Version, formatted my Windows drive and installed Windows again. Now it seems to work. I didnt encounter a graphics glicht so far, but havent testes thoroughly.
So it was either my BIOS version or my Windows had a bug, even tho i made a clean install before.

Level 1
I used Retera today for the first time and am very happy with its very well designed editing features. I ran into 3 problems/bugs:

1. I edited a Model. After editing vertexes I saved it and am able to use it in WC3 perfectly. I modified mostly by moving vertexes, but I also used "Select and Extend". However when I tried to reopen the final model this error showed up. This problem might be related to problem 2.

Code:
Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 32767, Size: 252
    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.Geoset.getVertex(Geoset.java:148)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.Triangle.<init>(Triangle.java:26)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.Geoset.<init>(Geoset.java:91)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.EditableModel.<init>(EditableModel.java:336)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.loadFile(MainPanel.java:5256)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.loadFile(MainPanel.java:5519)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.loadFile(MainPanel.java:5523)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.openFile(MainPanel.java:5537)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.onClickOpen(MainPanel.java:4671)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.actionPerformed(MainPanel.java:3872)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

2: "Select and Extend" is currently an easy way to mess up your vertexes. When I forgot I still had the tool selected and clicked somewhere it duplicated the vertexes. Since I didn't notice this, I was not able to undo this later. The new vertexes had the exact same position as the old ones, which made it tricky to remove them.

3: The exporting textures function (under Tools -> edit Textures) does not copy the alpha channel and has no TGA or BLP format option, which would be neat

However I want to thank you for your program, which is much better than anything I used so far and I really hope you can iron out the last issues.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hello, I used your tool, and I found that most of the functions in it are overlapped by the War3ModelEditor tool and the mdlvis tool. I hope your software can add the function of editing normals and the function of giving the remake of the new mdx format model PBR material. These two functions can make this software very important. Because most of the functions of this software currently have alternatives !

Level 3
By the way, I am from China and my English is not good. I use an interpreter to answer. Some sentences may not be understood, please understand

Level 3
I hope that the next version of the tool will focus on development. Edit polygon normal, material assignment function .

Level 3
Material editing functions are being updated, but I would also like to point out that while a lot of what it can do overlaps with War3ModelEditor and MdlVis, only Retera's model studio can open and edit 1.32 (Reforged) models
Yes, I think so too! So I am also using this powerful tool

Hi! When i am scaling model with "Scale" tool in "Edit" mode, i am not seeing for how many times model is actually scaled... I think there should be a indicator saying like x1.0 or x1.1 or 1.105. It's like already made for coordinates for cursor already. It will be very helpful. For example in 3dsmax, when you scale model, you can actually see for how many times model scaling. So it will be a very good feature if you release that.

Level 21
Hi! When i am scaling model with "Scale" tool in "Edit" mode, i am not seeing for how many times model is actually scaled... I think there should be a indicator saying like x1.0 or x1.1 or 1.105. It's like already made for coordinates for cursor already. It will be very helpful. For example in 3dsmax, when you scale model, you can actually see for how many times model scaling. So it will be a very good feature if you release that.
Scaling.jpg

Hello! There is a little issue with Hotkeys...
PIM4TpfwVdA.jpg
NizGXAyuQN4.jpg

The "Recalculate Normals" option uses the same hotkey as the option "New" that creates a new model layer window. So, actually, when i press CTRL + N , it's reacts and trigger "New" option, but i wanted a "Recalculate Normals" option.

Maybe there is somewhere a option to change that in "Settings", but i haven't found that. Anyone know if that possible?

Btw, using the latest version, that i have download just few days ago.

And, i am also sorry, if that a repeated post...

Last edited:
Maybe there is somewhere a option to change that in "Settings", but i haven't found that. Anyone know if that possible?

I did not make a means for the user to change the hotkeys, but it is possible that such a feature might be added in the future. Conceptually, these hotkeys are decided at launch time and assigned based on some string like "control N" as I recall. It is not outside the realm of possibility to make that string configurable, but for now if you wanted to change it you would have to build the program from source.

Level 11
Using your 0.04

I occasionally run into this bug where after importing aspects from another file, the program will no longer properly show animations of the model. Parts of the model would disappear then after reopening the model in the program, animations will no longer play, it will just be in static pose.