• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera's Model Studio

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
This is Retera's Model Studio v0.04 Public Beta. It is not finished! But it is something that works and is better than the Matrix Eater application, and is compatible with Patch 1.32.

Retera's Model Studio is the second evolution of the Matrix Eater project. It is a standalone MDL and MDX model editor. The project has diverged from the Matrix Eater that is available here on the Hive, and become a different program with features that do not totally overlap -- although my goal is for this to entirely replace the Matrix Eater.

Features:
  • Open and view MDL and MDX model files
  • CASC Data browser with double-click to view model, or texture, using JCASC from DrSuperGood
  • Attempts to support every single Warcraft III Patch up to and including Patch 1.31
  • MPQ Data browser seamlessly replaces CASC browser when using older patches of the game
  • 24 color "Team Color" menu will seamlessly swap to 12 colors when using an older patch of the game
  • Edit the model geometry (Select by Vertex, Select by Face, Select by Group)
  • Editor hotkeys that were not present in the Matrix Eater predecessor (QWER for edit mode, ASDF for select mode)
  • Control which Geosets are editable at one time
  • Animation Previewing (No particles or ribbons yet)
  • An "Open Internal" menu for loading game models quickly
  • Can open and save MDX to MDL or MDL to MDX using a converter that supports features such as ReplaceableId on Particle Emitters better than some alternatives
  • Includes a basic UV map editor
  • Multiple GUI themes available in the Preferences Window
Experimental Features:
  • Create a new blank model with basic planes and boxes
  • Can open BLP or PNG images for previewing (similar to Magos application)
  • Includes an Edit Textures menu to view the list of used textures, and quickly change used paths.
  • Quick Browse: Opening a new model in the Data Browser will close unsaved old ones (can be turned off in preferences)
  • Customizable layout, allowing you to draw components of the UI into different places
  • Window -> Reset Layout to reload the default layout
  • T-Pose edit mode, which can move mesh based on assigned bones in a more intelligent way
  • Cluster selection mode, similar to Group mode but using connected mesh rather than assigned VertexGroup
  • Animation edit mode, which can edit and modify animations (Warning: uses Hermite and Bezier by default, and inserts incorrect inward and outward tangents that will cause visual "vibrations" of nonlinear models in some cases, this is a fixable bug, needs more time)
  • Hive Browser is a feature that does not work and was added only as a UI mockup to discuss technology, and was included by accident in V0.01. It will be removed in V0.02, as to my knowledge, the required server technology for the hypothetical feature to work was not built.
Limitations:
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application cannot pin a Geoset to be visible but not editable
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application gives no indication of a node's name graphically in the 2D editing space
  • No user interface to control mounting system for MPQ/CASC hybrid loading system, so it will break again in Patch 1.32 or whenever Blizzard moves data once again
  • Inherits WC3 cached install directory information from Matrix Eater, which can be removed in the case of incompatibility and is located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\JWC3\user.profile
  • After running this application, configuration settings from the Matrix Eater application may become corrupted and not work correctly, causing strange white background errors (This application will not be affected)
Required for running Retera's Model Studio:
  • A Java SE Runtime Environment. A bundle is included with a Windows 64-bit EXE launcher but if you want the application to run on Linux or Mac then you must install the Java SE Runtime Environment separately.
  • The above statement means that if you are a 32-bit Windows XP user, the EXE application will not function (only tested with Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit)
  • A valid Warcraft III Installation (only tested with Patch 1.22 through Patch 1.31)
Additionally bundled applications (main methods in the same Java application included as EXE files):
  • Includes the AnimTransfer EXE that was previously included with Matrix Eater, which will use the Retera Model Studio MDL and MDX parser, which has significant subtle improvements over the one in the Matrix Eater application thanks to contributions from Ghostwolf.
  • Includes the ObjectEditor EXE shown in YouTube videos that has custom folders based on unit race, and can be opened multiple times simultaneously and can select, copy, and paste multiple Units between two running instances of the software. (Known to have bugs, requires Windows Clipboard, fails on Linux)
  • BlpConv EXE that can be used to convert TGA to BLP using DrSuperGood's blp-iio-plugin on systems where Magos or BLP Lab are not working (although these two alternative tools are typically superior to mine)
v0.04.2b
  • Fixed a bug in "Edit/delete model components" reported by Hive user @Makkad (retains FaceFX chunks now)
v0.04.2
  • Tiny change requested by discord user VictorZ that allows "Rotate Type-In" to work in the Animation Editor. (The code for this was copied almost directly from the Twilac version of 0.05, so you should seriously probably just use 0.05!)

v0.04.1
  • Opening a file in a folder does not walk the directory tree of that folder
  • Scripts -> Skin Splice function added upon request from Vulfar
v0.04 for 1.32.10
  • Fixes the program to work with the new Warcraft III Patch 1.32.10 that changed the TFVS formatting for some reason.
  • Includes some really minor internal bug fixes over the previous version
v0.04:
  • Merged the version known as "Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack" to be the mainline version of the tool going forward (this version includes all of the fixes listed here)
  • Added support for Reforged assets and a bunch of bug fixes related to working with those
  • Added "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 800" to convert Reforged Classic Models to the legacy classic model format, as well as "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 1000" to convert legacy game client models to match the format used by the "Classic Graphics" of Reforged.
  • Added a "Reforged Graphics Mode" and "Classic Graphics Mode" in the data sources chooser panel
  • Added the "Model" tab which is buggy and unfinished
v0.03:
  • Changed the program to use Java 11. Had trouble exporting the JAR from Eclipse, so I changed it back to Java 8 for now.
  • Changed the program to use the latest version of DrSuperGood's JCASC, which requires Java 11 to use, then I modified his code so that it did not require Java 11 so that we could continue deployment in the previous fashion.
  • Changed the startup sequence to use a "data source chooser" view, which is also available in Preferences. This allows users to load CASC or MPQ data in a way that is intended to be straightforward and clear to the user, and for CASC data the user able to choose the locale to load from the game. Locales that are present in the CASC's list but have not been downloaded from Blizzard are shown in dark red. These dark red options won't work until you launch Warcraft III at least one time using that locale.
  • Changed the startup sequence to return the user to the "data source chooser" any time that the program crashes during startup, so that the user is always able to reconfigure their settings.
  • Changed the model previewer to include the rendering of Particle Emitters, so that users can have a better feel for how their models might look in-game. This is a nontrivial task that involves many hundreds of lines of code replicating the behavior of the game and it was only possible because of the works of Ghostwolf, which I translated nearly directly from JavaScript into Java.
    • "Squirt" mode particles will emit at random times when they should not because of a difference between my code and Ghostwolf's code (his does not have this bug).
    • Also, priority plane and layering are known to have issues.
  • Added a JSON parser that loads the "filealiases.json" data when using CASC. This file is used by the 1.30 and 1.31 clients to support removed legacy files inside the Warcraft III game, and it will now be supported by the Retera Model Studio when viewing models. This will fix missing textures in some instances when the textures were not missing in-game.
  • Changed the default application data folder to be named "ReteraStudio" instead of "JWC3". This change removes bad interactions with the "Matrix Eater" application where the "Retera Model Studio" and "Matrix Eater" would write clashing versions of the same data to the same settings file (see "AppData/Roaming/ReteraStudio" on your computer).
    • This will cause a reset of all user settings for the Retera Model Studio version v0.03.
    • If you wish to avoid a settings reset, copy your settings file from "AppData/Roaming/JWC3". However I do not promise backwards compatibility.
  • Fixed an issue with the Quick Browse option so that turning it off and on will work correctly.
  • Added a scroll bar to the "Change Animation Lengths (by Scaling)" popup. (Thanks Mythic!) This popup is now listed under the "Scripts" menu.
  • Added 3 new GUI Themes: HiFi, Acryl, and Aluminium. These are all from the JTattoo library. Also, the "Dark" theme was technically the "Noire" theme from the JTattoo library, and it has been renamed accordingly. Aluminium is now the default theme (this can still be changed in the Preferences Window).
  • Changed code in the BLP loading pipeline used for rendering models and icons that aims to avoid destruction of texture data that is beneath an alpha channel yet loaded on a model's surface regardless of the alpha channel. Previously visual artifacts were visible in some cases that were not in accordance with how the textures would display in the Warcraft III game.
  • Added an "Edit" button in the Time Bound Chooser panel, but it does not actually work yet and will be fixed in a future version.
  • Changed some code with the "X" button on the program and how closing model files functions, so that it should not be able to bug out and fail to close a model or fail to close the application in a way unexpected by the user.
  • Added a system in the 3D displays that compares the aspect ratios known to the application with the aspect ratios known to the graphics card that attempts to use this information to fix the renderer when used on desktops that have the UI Scale setting specified. This was tested on Windows 10 with the UI scale, and it still fails on multiple monitor configurations where the second or third monitor have differing UI Scale specified. However, it should always work correctly on the main display when previously it may not have worked correctly at all.
  • Added a Preferences option to disable rendering particle emitters, as well as a separate option to disable rendering particle emitters in the Editor view.
  • Changed the "Use Boxes for Pivot Points" option so that it also affects the 2D displays in the Animation Editor.
  • Changed the Right-Click mouse button not to do anything on the Outliner widget, so that it can popup an "Edit" option on a popup menu in a future version of the software.
  • Changed the code that converts program data to MDX at Save time, so that some models that previously would not save due to state corruption inside the Model Studio will now be able to save. There may be more similar bugs yet to be fixed.
  • Changed the SLK parser used to load Unit Data so that it should be able to load data from the Reign of Chaos and from Project Revolution, in case users wish to load that data using the new game data source choosing settings.
  • Changed the Unit Browser to reload its contents when the program data source is changed. Previously, the "View -> Change Game Directory" option was likely to change the internal setting but keep previously cached information in the Unit Browser.
  • Added a command line option, "-forcedataprompt" to force the program to start with the Data Source Chooser window, so that users can specify their Warcraft III game data source without launching the application.
  • Changed how missing textures resolve so that they should resolve to a white surface. This should hopefully remove the irritating popup.
  • Attempted to make the Perspective view constantly repaint itself to always update dynamically, however in practice this is still not working in some cases.
  • Changed the texture loader so that a default Tree texture will be loaded when the replaceable texture ID is not known. This does not yet help with previewing cliff models but it means that the Mountain Giant and similar models should preview decently.
  • Added a scroll bar to the Texture Manager shown with "Tools -> Edit Textures" for use on models with many textures
  • Reorganized some of the program menus to attempt to make them more logical (Based on some suggestions from Hayate, many thanks! If only this program could be updated as quickly as his mockup UI!) More changes to these may be added in a future version, as they are still rather disorganized.
    • The new "Scripts" is a place for one-off script utilities that don't fit anywhere else, and maybe be user modifiable to include custom code in the future. At this time, it is only a preset list.
    • "Scripts -> Export Animated to Static Mesh" is a new option to build snapshot models. Unfortunately, it only snapshots the currently timeline in the Editor view, not in the Viewer that you see when you start the application. Also, it discards all node information, including Billboarded nodes, so camera-centric planes will be left to face forward instead of the camera.
    • "Edit -> Optimize" now include an option to merge all geosets that share like materials and visibility that is called "Minimize Geosets". Misha and a few other users have been asking for this option for years. I have not tested it very extensively and there may still be bugs in it. It worked on one or two sample cases that I experimented with.
  • In v0.01/v0.02 I added an option in Program Preferences to allow loading Non-BLP textures, so that users can open a PNG file or a model that references a PNG file even though these are generally not valid MDX files when used inside the Warcraft III game. This option may have been changed in the newer one to fix bugs, according to some of my code history information.
  • Fixed a crash relating to parsing WTS files for unit data, such as when the Data Source Chooser is used to load a custom map file as an MPQ.
  • Changed "Error: A matrix's bone id was not referencing a real bone!" to be a console log line instead of a popup, so that users do not receive a spamming wave of popups when opening a model file.
  • Changed the model parser to accept models with missing Pivot Points (as the Warcraft III game does), so that the Retera Model Studio is able to open some MDX models that previously would have caused a crash popup.
v0.02:
  • Removed Hive Browser UI mockup that did not work
  • Wrapped the startup code in a block that will catch and display errors in a GUI
  • Fixed an issue where users who had never run the Matrix Eater application in the past would have the Retera Model Studio application crash the first time it was run
Personal note: On the Matrix Eater application, I left a note where I said:
I really wanted to revamp this program and add new features and write a tutorial before I uploaded it onto the Hive, but I just haven't had time recently, and I want to stop sitting on this updated version because it has several internal fixes that should make it less likely to save buggy MDX models and so I feel the community deserves this new version in case anybody is using the program -- regardless of whether I end up getting the time to improve it to match up with my dreams or not.

This application does not solve that concern of mine. I am not uploading this as a finished product. But as we have seen with Patch 1.31, some times, software is pushed into production when it isn't ready. That is the case with this application. I want more than I have. I just can't stand not to share with the community what I have anymore, because I feel a deep sense of guilt for anyone who is using the Matrix Eater application and forcing themselves to mod on Patch 1.26 or some nonsense, while the above application existed on my computer and has for almost a year.

I believe in the power of open source, and this application is entirely open source. I have been developing it for about two years since the Matrix Eater was posted, and it has evolved out of the same codebase. This is the same GitHub link that was included on the Matrix Eater program, but it now contains the source for Retera Model Studio:
Retera/JWC3
Previews
Contents

Retera Model Studio 0.04.4m (For Patch 1.33) (Binary)

Retera's Model Studio 0.4.5k (Experimental) (Binary)

Reviews
Archian
If it wasn't for this tool, Reforged Modeling wouldn't have become what it is today. In recognition of this, the Hive Administration team awards Retera's Model Studio a Director's Cut status. @Retera
Level 1
Hi! I would like to post a bug.
I can't seem to rotate the plane nodes of a hero in the animation editor. I can only scale or move the node, but trying to rotate it will do nothing.

Level 1
Hi @Retera , I've been using your MV for Mesh Editing & Animation so far. Is there a way to enter a certain frame I would like to move to and edit in the timeline? So far I always have to scroll the bar between 8 frames or so to place it accurately on the keyframe I wish to edit, it's very annoying.

Level 3
You're working on updating this to MDX900 right? Or is it already updated to MDX900? Since I have tons and tons of imported models on a custom map that are refusing to work, and I was wondering if I could possibly run them through here and resave all of them to fix their issues with Reforged. In base War3 they're fine, but now i'm fighting the battle of getting reforged to accept all of the unit models.

Edit:

Probably forgot to clarify that they're not working in Reforged, but are working in the classic client.

@Mikekillkill Yes, here are two current videos using my current progress for different purposes:

(In this first video, about halfway through, I use the "Assign FormatVersion 900" function from my software, which causes the model to become a Reforged model file and makes it start working on the Reforged Beta client.)
(In this second video, I play around with a Grunt-Headed sheep, created by doing a head swap on the Reforged Grunt and Reforged Sheep -- made with an experimental version of Retera Model Studio)

@deepstrasz Yes, my UI is broken for that button. I did not finish programming it. It should not be difficult to fix.

Level 3
WOAH, BREAKTHROUGH work on the Hero spells and abilities and icons man! Way to go!

Hopefuilly Blizz officially fixes it, but it's nice to reverse engineer and figure stuff out like this.

I had figured that it seemed to me that the HEROES had some new lines of code that the previous World Editor or even the BETA one just simply doesn't recognize. I'm very curious how you figured out the metadata part.

Oh btw, I want to give this a whirl with my Centaur Horde heroes and a unit. May you please upload the latest Model Studio, Object Editor, and other tools to achieve your awesome results!

I also had the issue with the morph ability not working as intended. I had the Centaur Druid turn in to Golden Eagle Form using the bearform of the Night Elf race. It worked splendidly in WC3TFT but in WC3Reforged, the Centaur Druid just turned into its BASIC morph. thjat of the bear... but hilariously up in the air... a big, buirly bear walking up in the air :D Sure gave me a nice chuckle :) Actually, modding provides plenty of such chuckles, especially when things don't work out or pan out usually.

Level 28
I found a bug that turns the model into a 0kb file. I think it's caused by trying to save when there are vertices unconnected to a bone (such as by copy-pasting from a different model or even the very model being worked on), which causes a window to pop up with a lot of code (the same window pops up when trying to reopen the model).

If that is the cause, maybe have a popup that explains what's going on more clearly than the code window.

That's fine. But that download is based on v0.04 of my code and was designed to be interoperable with as many previous versions of Warcraft III as possible. In my local copy of the code I did fix a compatibility issue with non Reforged, though. So I forget if the version at that link is incompatible with 1.31. Did you try it? I'll upload the fixed one tonight I suppose. It's for both Reforged and the standard game. It's interoperable. As long as you dont open a Reforged model, it shouldn't ever start saving Reforged format data. Having already tested converting legacy content to Reforged, last night I tested converting Reforged to legacy. It was meant as a joke, really, and the product was what I expected:

This video is recorded on Patch 1.26, for memes.

Level 2
It can attach vertices to bone. But finding the tool is slightly annoying. Right click in the viewport space where the vertices are. This gives many options, and "Reassign Matrix" is really the button to attach vertex to bone.
Ah Thanks. So it's only lack of my English technical terms knowledge.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
When exporting textures, the exporter doesn't know the name of the file. You have to manually write it and the next texture you export has the name of the previously exported/named/renamed one and you have to rename it again.
Also, soloing geosets would be neat since if you want to delete any, you have to always turn the other off one by one and leave only the one you want to fully remove or manipulate.
Another thing you could do is make the possibility of deleting geosets from the list by right clicking->delete.

EDIT:
I get this error when trying to replace or import an exported texture converted to png with BlpLab and then back to .blp with the same program.
reteraErrortexture.png
For some reason when converting them back they take like almost 10 times more HDD space.
I have no issues with such textures when using Magos' War3 Model Editor.

EDIT2:
Also, if possible, make it so that we could choose multiple animations and deleted them by pressing DEL/DELETE.

Last edited:
Level 11
I was playing around with your studio, it was able to open the model while magos could not, however it froze when I set the animation viewer to an animation with no name.

Attachments

• NorthrendTree0S.mdx
    2 KB · Views: 53
@Emperor Lelouch The feature to rename an animation is kind of missing or not straightforward, which is silly since that should be easy to add. One option would be to save as MDL then use "Scripts -> Edit\delete model components" and do a change name operation on an animation, but it feels like a waste of time.

@Victel Yes, use File->Open and then choose OBJ in the file type dropdown at the bottom of the file chooser. As a note, you cannot save back to an OBJ file. The program can open them, but it only actually saves to Warcraft models.

Level 3
@Emperor Lelouch The feature to rename an animation is kind of missing or not straightforward, which is silly since that should be easy to add. One option would be to save as MDL then use "Scripts -> Edit\delete model components" and do a change name operation on an animation, but it feels like a waste of time.

@Victel Yes, use File->Open and then choose OBJ in the file type dropdown at the bottom of the file chooser. As a note, you cannot save back to an OBJ file. The program can open them, but it only actually saves to Warcraft models.

Am I supposed to be in the model studio or object editor? When I click on object editor it never opens, nothing happens. The model studio doesn't give me an option to import anything. I open it and I get this msg:

Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.<init>(MainPanel.java:1361)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:299)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame$1.run(MainFrame.java:249)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

I have options to add casc and mpq and I have no file option to import obj. Says path registry keys not found.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They load horribly slow and without textures though.
OK, some do if asked to create .blp files automatically for them but they look bad.

Level 3
I'm having the issue everyone else is and my warcraft install isn't set to another language. Did we ever get a fix for this?

Level 17
Reforged casc files are encrypted but JSASC library of this project didn't support encrypted CASCs at time of compiling.
Until a version that does is released, you will have to extract the CASC with some Casc viewer with encrypted file support and add extracted folders as sources as such:
unknown.png

Alternatively, just point RMS to an older Warcraft III version.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Reforged casc files are encrypted but JSASC library of this project didn't support encrypted CASCs at time of compiling.
I do not think this is true. It seems to be loading the reforged models from release 1.32 just fine. Either he is using some other trick to get around the limitation, or the files are no longer encrypted.

Level 3
I don't understand. What path do I designate for the CASC. I can't find it anywhere. What am I supposed to browse to find in that screen?

Level 3
Select the Warcraft III install folder. If not, then select the data subfolder.

Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.<init>(MainPanel.java:1361)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:299)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame$1.run(MainFrame.java:249)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

and I'm getting an error that says path registry not found. It reads no mods selected when I hit add casc and select the data folder. Is there an actual tutorial on setting this up?

Level 3
Browse the CASC files with the file explorer tab. They are all in the ".hd" folder.
Found them. Is there a way to export them as obj and preview them with textures on them? Also do all the custom models exported need a texture and a bone to show up correctly?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there a way to export them as obj and preview them with textures on them? Also do all the custom models exported need a texture and a bone to show up correctly?
Not likely...
Yes, use File->Open and then choose OBJ in the file type dropdown at the bottom of the file chooser. As a note, you cannot save back to an OBJ file. The program can open them, but it only actually saves to Warcraft models.
It only saves as Warcraft models.

There's no way to get models out of the game at this time?

The thing about exporting the models to another game or another system is that it's probably not allowed, and I don't care about it. Saying that there is no way to "get models out of the game" feels a bit misleading, though. The models exist, and my tool (or really any CASC tool, since mine is just a consumer of DrSuperGood's JCASC) lets you extract them in their Warcraft III-specific format to anywhere on your computer that you want. NeoDex has existed since probably 2005 with the ability to import Warcraft III models into 3ds Max and 3ds Max can export to almost every 3d format that I've ever heard of. In 2009 I ported some custom Warcraft III models to Starcraft II by doing that -- first importing into 3ds max and then exporting them in the Starcraft II format. 3ds Max costs too much, though, so I hear now all the cool kids are using a Blender MDX plugin. But I don't have experience with it. And I prefer to have this codebase where I have total control of the system and UI.

If you download the code of my tool and build it from source, for a seasoned programmer who cares it would probably take half of a day or something to write a converter that would save to an OBJ file since my tool already includes parsers for the Warcraft III formats. If you don't like dealing with project setup and all that, you could try to just find a decent MDX parser implementation (there are a lot around these days) and use that off the shelf to then save to OBJ. You probably don't even have to write the thing that saves as OBJ. The first hit that I find on google for OBJ writer looks half decent, and you could probably copy its code (license permitting) and paste it into a copy of my repo. (As mentioned elsewhere, the sourcecode of my repo is at Retera/JWC3

So maybe there's no way for you to do it, but there's definitely a way for me to do it, I guess that's what I'm saying. You can take that however you will.

While opening BLPConv this popped up.
It's been a while since I last checked the BLP Conv tool to make sure it was still working, so I'll have to keep in mind to do that next time I'm sitting with the code open. Sorry about that. Sometimes changes in my internal libraries and systems create bugs in some of the various tools.

Level 3
Hi there!

I would love to use this or at least learn how to use it but I can't even get over starting up the programme. For me it says 'Path' Registry key: not found. Any guesses how to fix this?

If that key is not found that should be okay. You will have to manually click the "Add Warcraft III Installation" option to add your Warcraft III installation directory as a source of game data.

If you are using the latest Patch 1.32 installation, then you need to download the program from here instead:

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Eventually I have plans to replace the official version of this tool with one that can interchangeably use both the old game version and the new game version.