1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Resource Ratings (Spells used as example)

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Nestharus, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Imma use BigInt as an example. I had complaints that BigInt wasn't fast enough, so I had to redo a lot of it to make it as absolutely fast as possible. Nobody has complained about the latest version BigInt thus far : ).

Why were people complaining? It'd freeze the game for a moment.

The first design of BigInt was as optimized as possible, and this still wasn't good enough. I had to come up with new creative designs to reduce operations.

2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, it's definitely important that things work properly - something freezing for a moment is definitely significant.

My post was arguing against DSG's notion that innovation isn't important.

3. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well, it isn't.. lol

what's important is performance and functionality. If your thing is more performant and more functional, innovation or not, your thing wins. It's just that innovation typically goes hand in hand with performance and funcionality =).

4. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A better performing damage assigning engine is still just a damage assigning engine.

A 3-dimensional knockback system, even if coded "badly" (but playable), adds to a map's value.

I am not arguing as innovation being more important than performance and functionality - if you read my first post on this page, I agree with the suggested system of classifying a resource by certain standards, however that the numeric score should still be included for the "coolness" factor.

Both can coexist, I am in no way saying that we should ignore functionality and performance. What I am saying is that both are important, and separate from each other.

If innovation isn't important to you, why are you even on a modding website? Innovation is an important part of modding, a central driving factor behind our efforts.

5. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Coming up with something new is good, but giving something new extra points just because it's new isn't good. That's like giving extra brownie points to someone because they were the first to do it. What if the resource was suck and someone else came along and remade it but 1000x better? omg, now they get a lower rating because their resource wasn't *innovative* even though it's actually higher quality and better, so people end up using the first resource even though it's worse just because it was the first one of its kind.

Is that fair? Not at all.
    Does that help the users? Not even.

We've been striving to kill this sort of attitude in the JASS section, and that attitude was in fact killed. Even if you are innovative, if a new resource comes out that does the same job but better, yours is going to get summarily rejected (even if it was already approved).

We did this with save/load in the Spells section too. If you look for save/load systems, only Save/Load with Snippets will be there because it deprecated every other save/load system.

As for a coolness factor, this too is really unfair. You may create a system or something that isn't flashy but extremely useful. Is unit indexing cool? Not at all. If it's perfect and has absolutely great support, why shouldn't it get a 6/5? Just because it's not flashy or cool? That's hardly fair. That's like putting a cap on certain resoruce types just because you don't think that they are cool. That's like saying, we only support flashy spells, everything else can suck it and get low ratings, even if more work was put into them than a flashy spell.

6. coolyoshi1

coolyoshi1

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    ^^^^

7. SA Dashie

SA Dashie

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yeh I'm all in with Nestharus in this. If a spell is cool then let the user decide. it's more of a personal based opinion anyway, as from quality in coding and usefulness etc can't be argued from as easily and makes more sense when a moderator rates a recourse in this kind of way.

8. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's funny, because my CustomInventory once was Directors Cut (by TRD), because of being something unique.

Then hvo evaluated it and put it to 5/5, in respect to TRD.

I am totally fine with it, but then the Roflcopter spell does not deserve it either.
    The CI has thousands of bug fixes and it just works. It has a commented code and I wrote a little document about the libraries.

So, hvo didn't think it was worth a DC (but had no point to complain about whatsoever) and TRD said it is perfectly coded and also super cool.

And yet it's a 5/5.

9. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Anachron, the problem is its design. You kind of combine a demonstration of the custom inventory system by defining your own inventory with a set of back code. People end up using your defined custom inventory rather than making their own.

Furthermore, it's set up like a huge, huge, huge, huge, huge pack, which makes things harder to find. The naming is also wth. Yea, you have CI for CustomInventory, but naming stuff like that implies coupling. Each resource should be independent but be able to be used together to create something awesome -> a custom inventory.

This is why I'd really rate it 4/5, but I'm a frigging nazi when it comes to this stuff, so I'm much harsher than others are : P.

If you fix the stuff I mentioned and treat your own custom inventory as a demonstration, walking through to teach people how to use the resources together, then I'd gladly support it as a 6/5 =D.

It may have good support, but it doesn't have good design.

10. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I agree w/ you,seems to be good.

If you saw my spell Split Earth and compared it to Jazztatic's Voodoo Drain.

Voodoo Drain got 4/5 but mine got 3/5 w/c i have much more longer code than Voodoo Drain

11. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't remember any of this, but I'm not really the type of person to do something without justification.

12. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    To quote yourself from my resource thread:

So, you didn't give any feedback, just that you don't think it deserves DC.

13. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

HEY LOOK. A BELL GRAPH. ignore the comment about the IQ thingy. its not a lame quip about everyone's IQ around here. i just couldnt find a better clearer image.

when you take a test, you get grades like Participation, Credit, Distinction, High Distinction.

just like Useful, Recommended, Highly Recommended, Director's Cut.

so to go from Useful to Recommended, you do a considerable more amount of effort. and to go from Recommended to Highly Recommended, you do an exponentially more amount of effort. and so on and so forth.

so doing one thing better than another piece of resource doesnt mean it gets a higher rating. you must do an exponentially better job. so you really cant have a tickbox list of things to do to get a director's cut. there would be a list of criterias, but those list probably are not the definitive nor the only basis.

well i had this situation before, talking about art as an example, where an artwork is good. there is no doubt. but it doesnt reach that level of excellence that warrants it a director's cut. i guess judging between good and then better at that level will unfortunately fall in to subjective views. it is mostly just instinctive. its the difference between "damn, that's good" to "holy fucking shit...that is...awesome". it's not really concrete. but its just simply put as the "wow factor". ya. that's cliche but its the only usable explanation.

umm. ya. exactly. the exact opposite of that comment. being innovative will be that "wow factor" in getting a exponentially better rating. because you can draw or code if you were taught. but you cant be taught to do something innovative.

what i mean by innovative, lets have coding for example. Person A could Code something to perform a task. Person B codes something to perform the same task but is done in a completely different way from the usual way. Person B then expands on his own coding that will allow a greater efficiency when the coding is faced with a more complex system. it could just compile more efficiently or it could have a process where it might just completely skip a pre-existing redundancy and save on processing. that will be being innovative.

a simpler example would be.

writing 8x5 instead of 8+8+8+8+8.

if there is a new way to do the same thing but better in some way, why wouldnt you care about it?

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There is a difference between redundancy and being innovative. Being innovative in such an old game is nearly impossible. Making something that is redundant is possible and pointless to do.