• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[RenderEdge] Graphic modification for Warcraft III

Level 8

Update v0.2.7a

• Updated RenderStage Controller (improved hooking of standard interface rendering);
  • Fixed bugs in JassAPI (wrong real <=> float convertation);
  • Fixed bugs in CtrlSetDepth and CtrlSetAngle functions;
  • Fixed sliders and checkboxes in sample map;
  • Added descriptions of .exe and .dll files.

Reactions: pyf
Level 1
I reinstalled Warcraft 3 from the blizzard site, and tried to run the RenderEdge.exe. It is asking me to select the "war3.exe", but I don't have one. My games exectuable is called "Warcraft III.exe". It would be nice if you could select any exectuable, and not just ones called "war3.exe"

I reinstalled Warcraft 3 from the blizzard site, and tried to run the RenderEdge.exe. It is asking me to select the "war3.exe", but I don't have one. My games exectuable is called "Warcraft III.exe". It would be nice if you could select any exectuable, and not just ones called "war3.exe"

This requires WarCraft III patch 1.26a and Warcraft III.exe is 1.28+

Level 8
How to fix the demo map's syntax errors(I'm using JNGP with Latest JASS Helper)??
What kind of error do you get? Please show me syntax errors log.

how do I render rendering open multiple instances in windowed mode? (sorry for english)
Just launch RenderEdge.exe with "-window" argument. You can do this by creating shortcut to RenderEdge.exe:
upload_2018-3-14_14-7-31.png

Last edited:
Level 8
@BloodForBlood, RenderEdge.dll can not be injected via Memory Hack.
Custom shaders are not available in the basic version, but I will try to release a new experimental version within the next week. It will contain new functions, such as reading settings from the .ini file (which can be loaded from the map) and editing standard shaders written in hlsl. The new version will also contain a patch for the shadows, now they will not use a huge amount of RAM and will not cause game crashes.

Level 5
@BloodForBlood, RenderEdge.dll can not be injected via Memory Hack.
Custom shaders are not available in the basic version, but I will try to release a new experimental version within the next week. It will contain new functions, such as reading settings from the .ini file (which can be loaded from the map) and editing standard shaders written in hlsl. The new version will also contain a patch for the shadows, now they will not use a huge amount of RAM and will not cause game crashes.
So If I create a map using RenderEdge, the player have to run RenderEdge.exe to play the map??

Level 3
I couldnt see the diểnce but it worked now.btw,could u send me the source code of your dll? We are working on a map that need your dll but have to modify something

Level 8
Here is the source code of the basic version. I have not updated it for a long time, there are a lot of things in it that need to be changed. I was completely focused on the experimental version, in which much has been reworked for the better.
I will soon begin to transfer the functionality and fixes from the experimental version to the basic one.
You can follow the development progress in Trello.

Level 5
hello fella,I opened your map "[RenderEdge] Sample Map",I can move camera ,I can moved the portrait UI,but there still didn't have shadow .Version: basic version 0.2.7 a

Level 8
There are no visible changes in the basic version, except for widescreen fix, reduced orders delay and the removal of the fps limit. This version is useful only for mapmakers, as it adds new jass native functions, for example, for editing the UI. Therefore, all this functionality should be implemented by the author himself in his map.

To test it, just launch sample map from RenderEdge folder.

Level 8

Update v0.3.0

Basic version was merged with experimental version v0.1.3a (changelog).
The experimental version is no longer supported.

RenderEdge_010619_153621_13.png RenderEdge_010619_153609_12.png

Improvements
  • Added support of Cine Filter;
  • Added EnvBRDF function;
  • Added Terrain shader;
  • Loading .ini file from RenderEdge folder without AllowLocalFiles flag;
  • Added Reload Shaders button;
  • Updated Bloom effect.
Fixes
  • Fixed Direct3DCreate8 hooking issues;
  • Fixed searching war3.exe bug in launcher;
  • Fixed shadows quality;
  • Fixed shadows far clip bound;
  • Fixed screenshots names and missing extensions;
  • Fixed Post Processing rendering while map loading.

Level 8
Just go to the Shadows settings and increase FarZ parameter (you can set very large value, it will be clipped by the FarZ parameter of Camera) .
But sometimes there is a bug due to which there are no shadows in the last cascade (you can check it by enabling Show Cascades option, the blue cascade should contain the Shadows). Previously, there was no such problem, I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Level 4
Damn blizzard... sometimes I feel like Elliot of Mr. Robot reimagining the Reforged I prepurchased to be instead of 1.30.2 to be 1.26a Community version... reliving ent w/ global platform support. possible native support for mods such as MMORPG (mod here on hive as well) and more... -_- heck maybe they should have a direct chat on launcher with modders and blizz handling in each modder's paypal or patreon to each community mod they plan to share for the world and be paid as blizzard should have to make official -_-

ahh... i'm not yet on Eliot's morphine to rewrite E - to evilcorp IRL -_-

+1 here on this coolness :D

Last edited:
Level 8
Hello, I'd like to thank you for the amount of effort put into this amazing project. Please, pardon me for my technical ignorance - I'm still striving to get better with every passing day - but, would RenderEdge be capable of causing the reverse effect?

Something close to this visual style is what I'm aiming at
7f9ab531c152.gif
, you uploaded the image to the experimental version thread some time ago.
Ideally, would it pixelize the image even more? Akin to the old late 1990s isometric RPGs? I'm merely asking, if (again pardon my ignorance) lower const. values or smth. like negative values would aid me to reach the desired effect? If not - that's alright.

Level 1
I've tested and messed around with the GUI settings locally on my WC3 1.26a. It's like you integrated whole photoshop filter stuff with WC3, haha. Really impressive stuff!

Anyways, I am just an old player recently started to enjoy playing DotA again after stopped playing many years ago. Lately i am researching about various limitations of 1.26a. I've tested RenderEdge_Widescreen.mix recently, it really worked great! I can actually see more on my screen now. Thank you! @ENAleksey

There are no visible changes in the basic version, except for widescreen fix, reduced orders delay and the removal of the fps limit. This version is useful only for mapmakers, as it adds new jass native functions, for example, for editing the UI. Therefore, all this functionality should be implemented by the author himself in his map.

Now i am really curious about this version. Does it require separate application like RenderEdge v0.3.0? If yes, could you please make a version .mix version so i can use it on the platform i play wc3 1.26a on.

Level 2
Hello, first of all great program but some documentation for casual users like me would have been helpful.
Edit: NVM I figured out myself.

Edit 2: I noticed object shadows and directional light were disabled in RederEdge while using custom dnc in my map.
I have some cave/underground areas that I used to transition with simple DNC edits. Can you please help me in this regard?

Last edited:
Level 1
Hello, I own Warcraft III french CD and I use the 127b update, it's lastest update for the W3 CD version.
How can I use RenderEdge with my W3 version?

Level 3
Hopefully someone creates a similar mod for other versions (specifically, v 1.28, xD).

This thing is better than default Reforged graphics, IMO.

Level 1
I need help with getting this thing to run
I have Visual Studio 2017 installed, yet I am still getting an error which says: Failed to load the RenderEdge.dll