• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Red Alert 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Yes i know i should change the terrain but i still dont got any idea what tiles to use or if i even gona use custom tiles.

And illidan dont you know any one who could model for us. We really need a person to model so if any one knows a person just tell me or wuss15

Level 3
Don't worry about terrain for now, and work on getting fundamental aspects of the game worked out. Also, the terrain sets in TFT should be sufficient for Red Alert 2; you don't really need custom tile sets. I believe the comment about the terrain was said due to the fact that you're not recreating a RA2 map, and was not said simply because he doesn't like the colour of the grass.

Concerning modelers: ask for help in the requests forum. If someone who models is willing to help, then that is probably where you'll find him. Most of the "big" modelers on this site are not very keen on just randomly taking requests like this. If they did, then they'd have half the site's population sending them requests to create anything and everything.

Oh, and the Kirov looks very nice!

Last edited:
Level 8
Here is a basic showing of the system I made, along with a model I found to be fitting for gold ore (silly me, forgetting the ore part :p)! Be sure to give credits to the owner (go into the world editor to view).

EDIT: GJ with the krov!

Attachments

• RedAlertWarcraft_Gold_Test.w3x
    26.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 18
Ok great. I just heard that illidan evil is working on a Red alert 1 mod. He and me have som iseus. But nothing to wurry about i wish hime luck with his project. Anyway now som other news. I got the soviet construction yard ty to magla and thats a great new model :) one of the most inportant ones

Level 4
yeah :D

i have some updates to:

-some bugs removed
-MC vehecle made, testing unpack funktion.
-testing sovjet war miner for auto attack.
- think how to make my survival system better when terrain is done :D

Level 8
yeah :D

i have some updates to:

-some bugs removed
-MC vehecle made, testing unpack funktion.
-testing sovjet war miner for auto attack.
- think how to make my survival system better when terrain is done :D
-Use an edited pheonix fire ability for that, then have the war miner have a attack to show how much damage it does (but do not have it be able to attack anything, other than attack two which will be for gold ore/harvesting)
-Survival system?

Level 8
I "quickly" made this Red Alert Warcraft (a new name suggestion for this) logo.

137039-albums212-picture11262.png

I also made a blank version so one of you can do a better job around the edges of the text (as I cannot do special gold (nor' another color) around objects with GIMP; at least as far as I know. wuss15 seems to be able to, so he could make a better one (all caps remember ;)).
137039-albums212-picture11263.png

Level 22
seems that you got a lovely project here, in fact I'm a big fan of RA2 so I'm just wondering of one typical question.

How in hell are you going to trigger the building thing from RA2? Really I thought of that a loooooong time when I saw this thread and haven't found it out so you got any on this?

also I think (dunno if you've done) you should make the map epic size and have loads of different RA maps inside so you can choose map inside, random map, and choose mod, battle, ffa etc

that would have been awsome but right now I wish you guys the best of luck!

Level 18
Ty very much for the support baasee and we are currently thinking about that building system if been playing RAII for a couple of years. And i think we may have a solution for the building stuff. Also about different maps inside one map (i knwo what you mean) we dont do that in the beta but it sure is a idea for later. Now lets talk about that banner what roughneck made. It looks cool but isnt it just putting text over a picture and your done? or did you cut out that RA II picture? anyway it looks ok show me more :p

Btw i made a screenshot of how the soviets currently look. We also got a cool sentry gun model but that still needs animations so i didnt use it in here.

Also i tryd to make a banner im not good in it but here it is :smile:

Last edited:
Level 18
Ty very much for searching we maybe use thoose ones if we dont find better ones. We appriciate your help. o btw i got som news.

RED ALERT II BANNER CONTEST!!!!!!!!

You think you can make the best banner for are game and website?
well make a banner post it in this thread and on 12may we tell who the winner is.
The winner becomes a Beta tester and gets his name in the game.

Level 3
How in hell are you going to trigger the building thing from RA2? Really I thought of that a loooooong time when I saw this thread and haven't found it out so you got any on this?

Making a high quality structure placement trigger which very closely imitates the original game certainly is possible, as you can see here in IllidanEvil's screenshot of his RA project:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/114948-albums274-picture2212.html

Also about different maps inside one map (i knwo what you mean)

I have tried to do this in a map of my own, and I can tell you that it doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory.

This is because there are no triggers which actually allow you to lower or raise the terrain itself. Yes, you can make hills and craters, but you cannot create water or actually elevated ground. As a result, your only option is to make a gigantic map, and divide it into separate zones. Each zone would act as a map on its own, and with triggers you would block off the players' ability to see the other maps. Unfortunately, this forces you to make small zones/maps.

Even if you make the largest map possible (244 x 244), if you tried to make four separate equal sized maps, you would still end up only having 61 x 61 left for each map. This is far too small for a proper RTS match; even for 1 v 1.

On the other hand, dividing up the map could work very well for the various modes of your map.

Level 8
I'm not experienced with JASS, but I do have a idea for the building system; it wouldn't be as good as IllidanEvil's, but it would be a start. I'll also try and work on this system tomorrow.

Using GUI, you could make triggers to detect when a building isn't built in a certain radius from certain buildings, and then stop the building from being built there.

As for actually building the building like in Red Alert 2, I have another idea (incase you don't already have it), you could have a off-map invulnerable unit that would build your building like a barracks. When it finished, it would become unselectable. Your "building" would spawn beside the invulnerable unit, with a blink-like ability to select the location. If the blink-like ability is not targeted at a location within a certain radius of certain units, then the blink-like ability is canceled and they must select a new location.

Level 4
Edit: first to rough ( is it okay i call you that? )
it sound interresting, i do maybe have a building system tomorry but if not ( and anyway ) i would like to hear more about you idea.

i had some free time today so i did made this:

i can resize it and change it as i want.
so if anyone have better ideas to it i'll be glad to hear :)

30c5ac1aredalert2.png

Level 3
The "blink-like ability" solution would work, but it would be messy. You would not be able to choose precise and exact structure locations, which is important if one wants to optimally design a base.

I do have a solution of my own. The Construction Yard trains a unit, which represents a structure. This unit does not come into being upon being trained, but instead the Construction Yard is given the ability, or an item to place the structure - much like how in standard TFT Humans can purchase Ivory Towers which place down Scout Towers. This allows you to properly place structures, as you would in Warcraft III. It's not nearly as sophisticated as Illidan's, but it's still a good idea to start with and one can always improve on it.

Unfortunately, the drawback is that it prevents you from being able to construct both your passive (power plants, factories) and non-passive structures (turrets, super weapons) at the same time, which was an important feature of RA2.

Here, it works perfectly:

Farm1.jpg

Farm2.jpg

Farm3.jpg

Farm4.jpg

Level 4
if i can get my fingers in a spicial system i have the solution so you can build both in the same time :)

Level 18
That banner looks amazing. Anyway about the buildings system in red alert II you have a bar with buildings when you select a building its get build and you lsoe the money it costs when the building is ready you click on it and select a place near your currently buildings and put the building there. Here are som screens of what i mean

Last edited:
Level 3
I modified my post to include screen shots.

if i can get my fingers in a spicial system i have the solution so you can build both in the same time :)

I hope you do.

Anyway about the buildings system in red alert II you have a bar with buildings when you select a building its get build and you lsoe the money it costs when the building is ready you click on it and select a place near your currently buildings and put the building there. Here are som screens of what i mean

I assure you, everyone who is reading this thread has probably already played RA2.

Level 3
Of course, and I hope you do find such a system. :)

Somewhat of a random question, but I noticed the Apocalypse Tanks in one of your screenshots have mana. Is that intentional? And if so, then what do they use mana for?

Level 18
The tanks shall not use mana. for sure is that 1 air unit of the allied is going to use mana as his bombs. About what baassee said baassee you think you could find somone to try that or do that? or maybe try it yourself. If we had that would be awsome.

Anyway i got som great news my team now has a new member and he is a modeler his name is Amaruak. We hope we could show you somthing new soon until that time just be patience :)

Ty to wuss15 and roughneck the progress of the map has become much faster wuss15 now finished the unpack/repack system (its not perfect yet but works) and also the Ore miner system works (i just need to change the sound of that)

FUNNY NEWS: we now got a small movie that has to do with red alert II its more like a test here it is

YouTube - Red alert 2 Warcraft News

Last edited:
Level 3
What baassee said will not work, as I already explained why:

I have tried to do this in a map of my own, and I can tell you that it doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory.

This is because there are no triggers which actually allow you to lower or raise the terrain itself. Yes, you can make hills and craters, but you cannot create water or actually elevated ground. As a result, your only option is to make a gigantic map, and divide it into separate zones. Each zone would act as a map on its own, and with triggers you would block off the players' ability to see the other maps. Unfortunately, this forces you to make small zones/maps.

Even if you make the largest map possible (244 x 244), if you tried to make four separate equal sized maps, you would still end up only having 61 x 61 left for each map. This is far too small for a proper RTS match; even for 1 v 1.

On the other hand, dividing up the map could work very well for the various modes of your map.

The point is, if you want separate maps to play the regular game on, you'll have to create a new maps altogether, because there simply isn't enough space even on the largest map to be shared.

Have you ever played the map 'Uther Party'? This system was done very well in that, with various smaller zones existing in the map. However, each zone was very small, and that is why the system worked for Uther Party. For an RTS game it simply won't work. =/

Level 4
Hey all.

some info

i have made what i think would be a nice beta building system.

but i need help with a bug in it:

i use spell book to make primary build and secoundere build.

then i use the item spells there can make the units like farm.
i made the item spell to unit spell and made ome work on it.

now i wanna made it so when you build a thing in the prmary build the primary build disappered until the building is cancelet or finished.
i can get the spell away but when i'm makeing the trigger to get the spell back it dosen't work, insted it gives the building unit the spell. i know why it does that but i cna't find a way where it dosen't do i.

i have to make this work so it can work seperated so you can have like 4 headqueaters and it work on each one of them in the same time.

the trigger is only made for one building, and when it works i make it for all buildings :)

trigger:

• ore refinery
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Ore Refinery
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Primary Build from (Triggering unit)
  • ore refinery Copy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
      • Unit - A unit Cancels construction
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Ore refinery
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Primary Build to (Casting unit)

here is the screens of it:

bcb032d0build1.png

fcbbcc9build2.png

067aa87fbuild3.png

42d9ab47build4.png

Level 8
That system can work; but what about when you want to build out farther than your base? What about building a defense tower at a capturable building?

As a note, for the blink ability spell I was talking about could also be used for items; if its cast in a place that isn't in X radius of Y building, or Z building, then it does not build.

Level 4
hmm rough i know the problem and what you are saying but i think you have to make a map with one building with it to test it....

the system i make is only for beta and if you system works better we'll use that :D

Level 3
Wuss, I do not know how your Refinery is getting that ability. The trigger you put in shouldn't be working in the first place, because your second trigger has no casting event.

Okay, what you want to do is create a unit type variable. For the first trigger, set the variable to the 'casting unit', which is the Construction Yard in this case (triggering unit works as well, but generally don't use triggering unit unless there is no other option). For this example, let's just call the variable 'Construction Yard Variable', but you can call it whatever you like.
Now that the Construction Yard has a variable attached to it, the game will remember the Construction Yard for later use in other triggers.

Now, let's put that variable to use. In your second trigger, change the action 'Unit - Add Primary Build to (Casting unit)' to be 'Unit - Add Primary Build to (Construction Yard Variable)'.

This way you specify that you want the ability to be given to your Construction Yard, because as I said, your second trigger does not have any spell casting events, and so there is no 'Casting unit' to give the Primary Build ability to.

I hope I explained the answer in an understandable fashion.

As a note, for the blink ability spell I was talking about could also be used for items; if its cast in a place that isn't in X radius of Y building, or Z building, then it does not build.

Ah, sorry then.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey wuss15, been a little busy lately but I just got back. I was gonna send you my build system yesterday but I found a little bug in it, and since your project seems to be of more demand than mine, I'll take more time polishing the system before passing it to you.

And btw, I suggest you use the original properties of RA2 instead of custom ones; by that I mean make the damage and hitpoints all the same as RA2, like I did with my map. By now I guess you would have played Illidan(Evil)X's Red Alert map.. great concept but the gameplay was so incredibly slow it would no way be a decent C&C map regardless of how good it looked.

Level 4
XxpeddyxX

it great to see you :)
im really glad that you wanna help us with the system :)
im glad you try to fix the bug so it will work fine :D

what you say about the gameplay thing i do think we have changed it. i know that we things cost the same as in game :)

but the problem with how much life and attack the units have is hard to fix because i havn't found a list over it yet.

my mate doom have the game and he can't find out how to see it.
(i had i the game, but 1 year ago it disappered and now i can't find it :p )

but i'll try to find the a list over it this week.

XxpedduxX if you have msn and wanna talk to me or doom you can add our msns:

me ---> [email protected]

doom ---> [email protected]

and in the end i will say thanks to Istvan Kiraly for try helping me with the system, but a error in you suggest is that if a player get more sovjet construktioin yards it will bugg and use the varibel at all the yards not seprarated, if you understand what i mean.

then i will say that my english is not the best but i hope you did understand this :D

best regards

wuss15

Level 18
That system can work; but what about when you want to build out farther than your base? What about building a defense tower at a capturable building?

I told this to wuss15 already and he is working on it. I also got som news.

Dont know for sure if i posted this already anyway we got a testing movie of how we gona announce big news and all. here is the link YouTube - Red alert 2 Warcraft News

and i alsao finished the Engineer unit this unit can take over buildings when you got the building of the enemy the engineer is removed from the game and you keep the building.

Anyway where i whas talking about with baasee (sorry if i spell rong)
Is the interface of building buildings (im searching a way to make a building interface like red alert II this is not a easy job so it can take som time until i find out how to do it or with what i need to do it. If this needs Jass than i prolly need somone who can do that

Level 3
Wuss, you could use a variable array, couldn't you? I think it would work fine despite having multiple Construction Yards. Oh, and don't worry, I can understand your English.

Level 22
What baassee said will not work, as I already explained why:

The point is, if you want separate maps to play the regular game on, you'll have to create a new maps altogether, because there simply isn't enough space even on the largest map to be shared.

Have you ever played the map 'Uther Party'? This system was done very well in that, with various smaller zones existing in the map. However, each zone was very small, and that is why the system worked for Uther Party. For an RTS game it simply won't work. =/

The thing I jsut wwanted to tell was that I've seen the multiboard system (used for heroes and items) just a little big one but on the other hand great. Check Rise of winterchill map if you don't believe me.

About the alot of maps in one single file. The thing is that you actually can have lots of maps in one single one. Just make the "map area" visible and the rest you black. And also you can re-enter the map cause you only want the terrain. The units are trigger able.

Check EOTA and you will get what I said above.

Level 4
Added on msn, I can give you the list if you want.. for the unit values that is. (YR too if you want)

we would be happy if you could do that :)

im first on msn here tomorry because im at a party right now.

btw i´m allso makeing so if you use repack and unpack the base have same lives as before unpack :)

for the first versions and right now we would allso like to use you repair system, or just get a little info on how you did made it and then make the system so it fit the map :)

Level 18
Since my team is working hard on this project im wondering what i could do extra for them. So if any one has a sugestion PM it to me.

News: On warcraftIII europe alot of people ask me if thay could be beta testers. No thay cant since im going to choose beta testers from the hiveworkshop since thay are more experienced with this kinda things. If you wana be beta tester for later Just PM me or wuss15

Level 3
About the alot of maps in one single file. The thing is that you actually can have lots of maps in one single one. Just make the "map area" visible and the rest you black. And also you can re-enter the map cause you only want the terrain. The units are trigger able.

Check EOTA and you will get what I said above.

Yes, it does work in other maps. The key word here is other. EOTA and Uther Party are not altered-melee maps. They do not follow an RTS style of game.

The maximum possible playable map size is 256 by 256, and even that can only be reached with editing. That might seem large, but it really is not. A good four player map in an RTS is 128 by 128 - that is only a single four player map, and yet it would already take up half of your available space. You simply cannot fit that many RTS styled maps into a single map. Yes, you could do 3 or 4 1vs1 maps, but really what is the point? Warcraft 3 allows for advanced team functions, so we shouldn't ignore that.

I will try to make myself clear:
Putting multiple areas onto a single map only works if those areas are small, as they are in EOTA and Uther Party; however, altered-melee maps cannot do this because RTS style gameplay requires maps be decent sized, and not small.

If Wuss and I bring Doom would really like to do it, it might be possible to make one four player map and another 1vs1 map, and then try to fit in a bunch of the special modes into the remaining space, but realistically we will not have a lot of map options.

Level 18
We are not planning to do that. We make a beta map and on that one we keep updating and making better until a public one when the public one is many times updated we shall make different maps with other terrain but evrything stays the same only the terrain is different.

Info about the team

Project leader: i_bring_doom
System maker/ second project leader: Wuss15
System maker 2: Roughneck
Modeler: Amaruak
Beta testers: Baasee and Istvan Kiraly

Level 4
news:

we are currently looking for some people to work seval system finish :)
right now we test if its better to use another attack and live for the units.

Status
Not open for further replies.