• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recruiting Members for a Poject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I am makeing a new Footemn Wars/Hero Arena hybrid map. The gameplay works like this:

-Game time is capped to iether 30 or 60 minutes. This is decided by the host (Player 1).
-Players are divided into four teams of three. Each team has three bases (one for each player) at one of the sides of the map (north, east, south, west) surrounded by walls except for one opening. Each corner of the map will contain a creep(s) and item shops.
-Each player must purchase one Hero at the start and also gets an upgradeable base which spawns units.
-Bases can be upgraded into different tier types. Items can be purchased at shops in the map. Gold is obtained by killing enemy units and Heros, in addition to bonuses.
-There are two ways to win:
1. Destroy all enemy bases.
2. Kill the most Heros before time runs out.

Recruiting:

Terain Detail Must be skilled at terraining, not just mediocre since I can make good terrain myself. I say "Terrain Detail" since the base of the terrain is perrty much done; I just want a sence of style in my map so it won't be basic terrain.

Object Data Team The object data team should come up with good ideas for items, Heros, units, and abilities. The team must also try to balance the data. I need at least one person who is adept at JASS triggers on this team for custom spells that require JASS enhancements. I will be the overseer of this team.

Game Preview Designer I need an artwork pice at the mini-map preview of the game to attract members.

Skinning, Modles, and IconsI may need custom Modles, Skins, and/or Icons for this project. particularly icons, since I don't want to be useing the same items over-and-over again. To qualify for this field, you must show me your previous work.

If you are interested in joining the project, contact me on MSN and/or post in this thread. I may post more information on the map project later.

Last edited:
Level 9
Hmm wouldn't mind throwing in a few ideas for the Object Data Team but i would rather just be lyk an adviser if you dont mind?

Btw have you started makeing this? because i wouldn't mind seeing what you've go so far?

EDIT: Btw im nt bad with JASS...

Last edited:
Level 8
Game Preview Designer I need an artwork pice at the mini-map preview of the game to attract members.

All that person has to do is make the minimap preview? Why not just request this from people in general, and choose the best from the lot?

one person who is adept at JASS triggers on this team for custom spells

Why would you need to be adept at Jass to create custom spells ?
You only need a few Jass functions for some of the long math and possibly a few effects.

I would be glad to help, but my skills mostly lie in Triggering. I could try to create a Minimap Preview for ya, if I get some spare time. Though, before I even start it, I'm sure all of us would like to see what you've done so far. Nothing worse than joining up with a map that isn't going to get finished.

Also, you may want to add a bit more flexibility in the time-limit.

Level 7
Kixer - That wouldn't be a problem (being an advisor) since I'm perrty adept at the object editor myself and your JASS skills could come in handy.

Tonks - That might be a better way to go about getting the map preview, although if you could make one yourself that would also be great.
Tonks said:
Why would you need to be adept at Jass to create custom spells ?
I didn't say you did need JASS to make custom spells, but the best spells are done in JASS. I'll rephrase that part of the post to be more accurate.

I cannot shocase what I have done so far because 1) there isn't much to show at the moment and 2) I don't want others stealing my work. I do, however, have all intents and purposes of finishing the project. Also, I have attached an image of the terrain's base to this post.

As for the time limit, I may make it so that "the host" can set it to whatever he wants. If I choose to go this way, I will probably design it so that the time limit cannot exceed one hour because a game shouldn't take longer than that.

Attachments

• Map Terrain Preview.jpg
    Map Terrain Preview.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 115
Level 9
Well im still quite new to JASS...
I'd mainly go for hero,ability and creep ideas ect...

Sum suggestions i'd like to work in...
*Give all creep types different abilities. like passive, positive buffs and negative buffs.
*Add a unit that controls unit movement. aka all units top,bottom,left,right.
*Add gangs of creeps that live in the corners. They build up armies and send them to the middle to kill every1!
*Add upgrades for everything: movespeed , health, damage, armourm ect.
*More to come

And when you do have enough done to look at email it to the team.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds very uninteresting.
Wc3 has too many "wars" and "areana" maps already.
And I hate maps with time limates since it encourages cheap kills and hero focus.

May be good if you add unique abilites to all heroes that do not suck like most other Wars maps.

If you need jass help im mostly on the chat system but NOTE that I am not going to write any spells or triggers for you, I am offering my advice if you are stuck with a jass trigger or it functions incorectly.

I am makeing a new Footemn Wars/Hero Arena hybrid map. The gameplay works like this:

-Game time is capped to iether 30 or 60 minutes. This is decided by the host (Player 1).
-Players are divided into four teams of three. Each team has three bases (one for each player) at one of the sides of the map (north, east, south, west) surrounded by walls except for one opening. Each corner of the map will contain a creep(s) and item shops.
-Each player must purchase one Hero at the start and also gets an upgradeable base which spawns units.
-Bases can be upgraded into different tier types. Items can be purchased at shops in the map. Gold is obtained by killing enemy units and Heros, in addition to bonuses.
Hmmh I think I have already played this kind of a map in Bnet for a couple of times.

Footman Wars with heroes...

I think all the footman wars have heroes these days, don't they?
I don't want to sound offensive, but the map idea sounds like old, used and worn...

Level 9
Ideas

Ok here is some more input...

And I hate maps with time limates since it encourages cheap kills and hero focus.

I agree totally... Stay away from time limits...

Take out the Hero kills bit... A footman war style map should stay away from hero kill focuses... It will make players gang Heros instead of killing creeps...

Footman Wars with heroes...

I think all the footman wars have heroes these days, don't they?
I don't want to sound offensive, but the map idea sounds like old, used and worn...

I don't think I have ever seen a footman without Heros, nothing original about that. So I think all originality should be in hero spells, unit abilities, race units, upgrades and neutral creeps.

Some of the points I have come up with:

- All custom Heros and hero abilities! No melee Heros!
- AI... you must have AI if you want to see this do well
- Working Rally Points! When creeps spawn they must move to a set Rally point.
- Creep orders. Add a unit ( like a pedestal or something ) that allows you to order all your units to move to a point. Some orders I think should be added : Attack Left, Attack Top, Attack Right, Attack Bottom, Attack screen. Attack screen orders all units to attack move to the players current screen position ( I'll do this if you want me to, Requires JASS )
- Upgrades for unit move speed, attack ( damage and speed ), defence ( armor and health ), Race bonuses ( aka for Fel Orks bonus damage ).
- All custom Races. High Elves, Fel Orks ect.

More to come...

Level 9
Well on a scale of one to ten what would you rate those maps you made?
If you want a footmen to do well u have to put in alot of effort and variation to make a sucsessful footies....

Level 7
In case anyone didn't know this already, FW is short for Footmen Wars.

Okay, 'bout time I gave a reply to this thread.

My map isn't just going to be "Just another footmen" or "New footmen with style and jass", this one is going to be a great FW like Footmen Frenzy. Also, you could make a FW in a day, but to make a good FW you have to spend alot of time on it just like any other map. In my desire to speed-up the project I am trying to get more people involved so instead of taking a half-a-year to release there will be a finished version in a month.

Concerning the time limit; it's staying, period. The map is actually a combination of a Footmen Wars and a Hero Arena as originally stated. Therefore, I want to encourage Hero killing by making it an overall objective; however, I may add a two-hour option in case that isn't your thing.

Kixer - I like most of your ideas, although I assure you there will not be any AI as it is a useless feature that will probably never be used and makes the game more like a puzzle than an actual test in skill. The only reason why I would add AI is for a special 1-player mode so that players can get a "feel to the game".

--------------------
I'll give an update as to where the map is at and also say who's "officially" on the team after I get a few more replies.

Level 9
Kixer - I like most of your ideas, although I assure you there will not be any AI as it is a useless feature that will probably never be used and makes the game more like a puzzle than an actual test in skill. The only reason why I would add AI is for a special 1-player mode so that players can get a "feel to the game".

Thanks but i still think you should put in AI for single player... I mean if you want someone to get to know your map then u have to have a single player...

[size=1Concerning the time limit; it's staying, period. The map is actually a combination of a Footmen Wars and a Hero Arena as originally stated. Therefore, I want to encourage Hero killing by making it an overall objective; however, I may add a two-hour option in case that isn't your thing.[/QUOTE]

BTW i would be activly involved in any work if needed...

Ok if your keeping the time limit then atleast have a scoring system...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.