• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] Recreating WC3 in Dota 2's Source 2 Engine

Level 9
User @Noya already tried to recreate Warcraft 3 gameplay in Dota 2. I think he ended up giving up. Here is the source code of his project.
Just warning you that several good Dota 2 Custom Game projects died. Most of these were I think for Dota 2 updates break many of these Custom Game, requiring the developers of these Custom Game to fix the new bugs that came out of the update.

The source code from Custom Game Castle Fight maybe may be useful for you. Since the Custom Game uses some skills and mechanics equal to Warcraft 3.

Level 2
User @Noya already tried to recreate Warcraft 3 gameplay in Dota 2. I think he ended up giving up. Here is the source code of his project.
Just warning you that several good Dota 2 Custom Game projects died. Most of these were I think for Dota 2 updates break many of these Custom Game, requiring the developers of these Custom Game to fix the new bugs that came out of the update.

The source code from Custom Game Castle Fight maybe may be useful for you. Since the Custom Game uses some skills and mechanics equal to Warcraft 3.
I saw DotaCraft and was sad it was discontinued. Thank you for sharing but going to be coding all the mechanics myself.

Some of the Dota 2 updates break custom games which can get pretty tiring to fix. The recent one was "The Summer Client Update" which caused a crash when starting a game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is my understanding that the DotA 2 engine uses state streaming, like League of Legends or games like Diablo IV, rather than lock step. This would limit its suitability for RTS gameplay, especially if the server it is run on has resource constraints. It might work for small 1v1 or 2v2 Warcraft III style melee play, but I would imagine it having technical issues with 6v6 or if players spam low food units or if all units end up in the sight range of each other.