• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recolors allowed?

What you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
no way, unless the icon had a recolor in a good environnement. iconning is serious business, most of the times, it shouldnt be allowed cnping or recoloring an icon, that's barely editing it..

it's a fundamental question here, maybe there could be a section for barely edited icons!

Level 4
Afronight_76 said:
if you dont like them then dont dl them its as simple as that. just because its not good doenst mean that you should persecute those with lesser artistic talent. everone should have a right to post any type of skin they want(except those unacceptable for certain reasons).
True, but there are things you have to keep in mind:
1) This isn't your site. This is Darky's site. If he doesn't want a crappy icon on it, it can be deleted. His laws extend to the moderators he picked himself. This isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship.
2) Uploading icons that have obviously no work, and nobody is downloading them is a waste of space on the site.
3) Artistic talent does not involve changing red to blue using a digital imaging program. My 9 year old sister can do that.

Level 13
the only reason recolors looks good is that blizzard employees made the icon with love, devotion, and hard work, that's why the default icon rocks so much. basicly when you recolor it, it's still the default icon, with same shading, but not same colors, but its completly still the default icon. if you had to do icons from scratch, you would look smart don't you recolorers?

recoloring takes nothing more than a command, that does it all for you. artists in older times did not had this, and that's how you learn, by doing it yourself, not with a machine. You learn absolutly nothing by recoloring.

Ignore the poll results, these peoples will be better without recolorings, where recoloring be restricted, it's better for their learnings and developement.

Please, restrict recolors, on my daily commenting, it's a hell to comment recolors, some people might know what i'm talking about.

Level 13
TimeMachine said:
I think some recolor icons may be very good!
I think yes, but no if theres some really bad recolors.
But though, i think except the most horrible icon, all icon should be accepted...

very good? the icons have been made by blizzard one or two years ago, just recoloring them in another color is easy as hell! this isn't a kindergarden or anything, even i could intentionally take an icon, recolor it purple, convert it to .blp and submit it here under 2 minutes, instead of wasting 1-2 hours on a freehand icon.

seriously i doubt anyone likes to see recolors, it's more pleasant to the eye to see DIFFERENT icons, and not a clone of an icon

Status
Not open for further replies.