• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

No more recolors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I've lately seen a lot of complains from people, that certain recolors are accepted, and others are not. Since everyone asked for a purge and we don't want to have anyone discriminated around here, thinking that we are impartial, I have decided that pure recolors will no longer be accepted.

Exception files are Darky's icons (why? because he owns the site) and Blizzard icons (because they were put here by Darky himself). If Darky allows me, I will remove these icons as well. Until then, they will stay. But any other icon, purely recolored, will be deleted.

Level 9
Yay we get to see the old crappy crap get thrown out :)

Oh and what does ftw stand for?!

Level 14
Sure I can help you gather the links, I ran today through all icons except WoW ones and downloaded the worthy ones...

Do you want every recolour icon? (including yours kekeke) Some are very high quality recolours like Mc!'s Fire shield

Level 6
I disagree. Many recolored icons are quite useful - potions especialy and items overall. Why should I make it my own and spent long time if someone else already made it and shared it?

And another thing. Is taht recolor or new icon?
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=10033
Looks cool and uncommon, but it is proudmoore. Could it be deleted? I dont think so.

Level 6
Yes, it may, if you are hurry and if you are recoloring one icon, but it is much faster to download it especially if you need more than one icon.
What is wrong on recolored icons? Skins are much more useless and noone making such "genocide".

Level 11
Alvatar said:
What is wrong on recolored icons? Skins are much more useless and noone making such "genocide".

They are not art, and they are not proper icons anymore for the site. This genocide is necessary to prevent other complains about "why can a recolor stay and mine can't?". -looks good- is extremely subjective, just an opinion. I don't want any more complains about discriminations and some being accepted, while others not. Lame or not, this is the reality, and the best solution.

~Daelin

Level 6
If this is best solution, then Im jumping pumkin. It is not art? And this is?

http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=12056
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=12096
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=12066
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=12063
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Icons&ID=12009

Last one is just copied MtG card - Necropotence. Coping art of somebody else is more art than recoloring? And making icon from unit portrait?
Do you really think replacing "discrimination" (accept some recolors) with bigger one (no recolors) is best solution, I can only say it is stupid idea

Level 45
no recolours. simple as that. i would rather make a icon so i can make it how i want.

we are talking about recolours. not how unfair this or that is.. or stolen art.

recolours are basicly stealing, its like recolouring an artists work and saying its yours.

and those art cnp do p*ss me off alot..and i hate the people who submit those stolen icons(in my term)

Level 11
Alvatar said:
Last one is just copied MtG card - Necropotence. Coping art of somebody else is more art than recoloring?
Thank you for pointing those CnPd up. You can't really expect me to know every single image from the web, or from a card game or something, do you? I do not play craps like MtG so I can't possibly know how those damned cards look.

Alvatar said:
And making icon from unit portrait?
Complain to VGSatomi, he told me to allow such icons. Exception from the rules are the icons for skins/models of this site, rule imposed by Satomi himself. I will take when I have more time all the unit icons, and those which are not linked will be simply deleted.

And no, I don't think it's a stupid idea. It is IMPOSSIBLE to detect every single stolen icon. I asked members of this site to help me by PMing every single stolen icon they notice on the site, but apparently accusations are far better than actually helping. Thank you very much Alvatar, you couldn't have complimented me better.

~Daelin

Level 6
You are welcome,
I do not expect you or anybody else to search&destroy any stolen icon, because as you said it is imposible. The difference is that recolored icon is recognized to be just recolored on first look, stolen ones no.
Then your argument of "no discrimination" is pointless, because you are discriminating recolored to stolen ones.
Sometimes less rules makes more order

Level 9
I agree, indeed there is potential in some of the icons, but why would you delete one and leave another when it is just as bad as the deleted one... (i belive Daelin has already said that but what the hell)

Level 11
Ugh... you have a fixation and no matter how hard would I try to explain you stuff, you understand only what you want. Okay, let's try this another way.

It's obvious that stolen icons are not supposed to stay on the site either, there is NO DOUBT about this!!! HOWEVER, just because we cannot find all stolen icons, doesn't mean that other crappy icons should stay. Excuse "stolen icons still exist on the site". This is so damn lame! NO, I'm not saying that "I delete some bad icons, and leave other as bad as the first". As long as I find out that an icon is stolen, I delete it, because that's the obvious thing to do! So do not accuse me of leaving stolen icons ON PURPOSE!

And nonono, I'm not discriminating anyone. Just because I don't notice all stolen icons doesn't mean that I'm deleting recolored icons in the favor of the stolen ones, let's make this clear ONCE AND FOR ALL! You expect me to leave recolored icons, just because I can't remove stolen because what the hell? Let's leave crap to expand instead of trying to reduce it.

This rule shall stay until disbanded by higher authority (administrator).

~Daelin

Level 6
I never accaused you from nothing, I only trying to show you how this all is pointless.
As I said, recolored icons may not be crap (potions), but it is recolored, then it will be deleted. Another crap, because its not recolored is "left to expand". It is nonsense.
And even if not, this is poinless (not because you lower authority needs to be overwhelmed by higher autority, but because all this stuff are lost).
Go on, keep "quality":x

Level 5
Vexorian said:
Removing all recolors is the equivalent of removing all GUI spells. 99% of the times you are doing the right thing. But still 1% of them are good things that should be kept. Such generalizations are lame
Agreed. You've always been one of the biggest supporters of the "method of a resource's creation is not important (except if stolen) as long as it is good when looked at in-game" arguement that I hope the rules will one day reflect. This whole no recolors thing seems to imply that method is more important than its in-game quality.

Level 3
Are icons from World of Warcraft stolen icons?

Oh and are you gonna change the icon rules?

These following types of icons are allowed.

Have to have the metal frame
Recolors but have to look Real good
Well done icons shadowed

Status
Not open for further replies.