• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Re-Animated Skeletal Archer V.305

A model I started on the 2nd of june, for a total of 19 days, This one has a strange story.

after watching season 5 episode 8 of the hit TV series ''Game of Thrones'', ''Hard Home'' I was so inspired, I decided to have more undead in my mur'loc map, so rather then just undead mur'locs I decided I should have all kinds of undead.

re-remembering 67Chrome's ''Returned Skins'' from long ago, I figured id use those...

But disgusted at how hideous blizzards skeletal archer was in both mesh and animations, I began making a few changes to it starting with the ''Burning-Archer'' model, the plan was to change the bow and head emitters to look blue and frosty while shooting cold arrows.

dubbed the ''freezing skeletal archer'' one by one I changed every bone and every piece of mesh, deleted over 57 bones, over 900 polys all spam imported by blizzard for all the skeletons used only in death, 3 emitters, adding over 10 new animations, and re-building all original animations from scratch, I present to you: the Re-Animated Skeletal Archer.

credits to 67Chrome for the original texture.

how to use:

set the walk speed/movement speed high, the animation for walk was rigged to be fast, to look as though he is booking it, really fast. sprinting towards his enemies. not a slow, shambling thing, as was the original. if you want it slower, make sure to set the walk speed accordingly. the standard skeleton archers unit data will not work. so simply replacing the model is not an option.

set his death time seconds to 0.600 seconds.

unlike the normal skeleton archer model, do not worry about the ''cannot be raised, does not decay'' setting as I have added the decay animation. he can now be properly revived over and over...and over.... and over.... AND OVER again, using the paladins ''Resurrection'' spell.... but stuffed onto the death knight, necromancer, obsidian statue, or what ever the hell you want repetitively resurrecting fallen skeletons.

set to amphibious if so desired, as I have added swim animations as well, inspired by Olympic swimmers, including birth swim, death swim, attack swim, decay swim, and walk swim. ''why'' you ask? for the glory of the mur'loc god of course. all models must be amphibious to be useful to me. its the only way.

import the special projectile model called ''ReAnimatedSkeletonArcherArrowV.009'' for the projectile art, so that the projectile fired matches the projectile summoned in the model its self.

I suggest making your skeletal archers attacks weapon type ''artillery'' so that the projectile can miss moving targets, unless you need it to shoot at air, then don't do that, and instead imitate the night elf archers attack settings.

give credit to me as a mur'loc in your map named ''kellym0, god of the mur'locs'' enjoy the model.

edit: because of this models strange mesh, strange style, and how badly it un matches the other skeletons, I will also be uploading the ''ReAnimated Skeletal Warrior'' ''ReAnimated Skeletal Mage'' and ''ReAnimated Skeletal Orc'' later. I may also Include a variant of warrior called ''ReAnimated Skeletal Spearman''

edit 2: because of gross tendency for map makers to use in game vertex coloring to make ''elemental'' skeletons, such as greened skeleton archers with poison arrows....

and because of the eventuality that, people will realize, this model does not work with many attachment arts, I will be uploading more attachment arts and custom projectile missiles, including bow string emitters, hand emitters, eye glows, and helmets, all in variant elemental styles of poison fire shadow and ice.

suggestions are welcome, feel free to rip on me for this one, for unlike other projects of mine, the skeletal archer model, while low quality, is one of warcraft 3s most iconic units, and there for a big thing to try and replace. tell me if something is broken, for I may have missed something.

import the skin under the name of:

ReturnedArcher.blp

and yea. enjoy.

Keywords:
Undead, Skeletal, Skeleton Archer, Summon, Amphibious, Im Immune to Arrows Swords Spears, and Resistant to Clubs! mafas!
Contents

Re-Animated Skeletal Archer V.305 (Model)

Re-Animated Skeletal Archer V.305 (Model)

Reviews
16:45, 4th Jul 2015 MiniMage: For all your undead needs. Approved.
Level 13
Nice Kellymo, it has an attack swim too. This looks like an elite skeleton archer sent to destroy humanity, I guess you'll be doing the skeletal warrior too.

He walks like he feels the freedom from hell.

You can work more on its feet animations, what only move in attack animation are the hands, which is unrealistic, you should atleast make him step backwards then shoot an arrow, something like that.

Other animations are good to be honest, just fix the attack animation ^_^

Last edited:
well.. these responses came..... fast...

''that Looks like more than Reanimated, How bout redoned?
Anyway, Well done''

lol thank you glad you like it Hayate, it is pretty much a renovation

''Nice Kellymo, it has an attack swim too. This looks like an elite skeleton archer sent to destroy humanity, I guess you'll be doing the skeletal warrior too.''

thank you JonBon29, glad you like it, and yes I will, but it wont be the next one, the next one coming is the mage, its truly the second most awful.

''He walks like he feels the freedom from hell.''

glad you like the walk Stryderzero, that was the idea =D

''You can work more on its feet animations, what only move in attack animation is the hands, which is unrealistic, you should at least make him step backwards then shoot an arrow, something like that. Other animations are good to be honest, just fix the attack animation ^_^''

attack is built to be fast, its actually hard to animate every thing else to look good in an animation that is one eighth of a seconds (0.8) long =)

other wise it looks weird and glitchy. the feet where problematic to me, it is why they seem blank in attack.

attack actually moves alot of bones, not just his hands, his 4 spine bones, neck bone, skull bone, and skull jaw bone all also move, in addition to the 2 arms, and 2 shoulder plate bones.

''Nice, he even moves like skeleton :D. I like it.
Do you have any murloc models? We haven't got any on the Hive yet :D.''

I do actually, I have a mur'loc mounted trebuchet mosasaurus, a mur'loc mounted allosaurus, a mur'loc mounted dragon turtle, a mur'loc 5 tier town center, and an rpg mur'loc with 157 animations on it, for bows arrows spears spell casting, wielding a rocket launcher, a golden ak-47, and other stuff.

all in-complete

EDIT: ''now we have swimming skeletons? o_O awesome!''

yea lol I figured swims were not the most necessary thing but what ever. glad you like it misha

Level 42
well.. these responses came..... fast...

''that Looks like more than Reanimated, How bout redoned?
Anyway, Well done''

lol thank you glad you like it Hayate, it is pretty much a renovation

''Nice Kellymo, it has an attack swim too. This looks like an elite skeleton archer sent to destroy humanity, I guess you'll be doing the skeletal warrior too.''

thank you JonBon29, glad you like it, and yes I will, but it wont be the next one, the next one coming is the mage, its truly the second most awful.

''He walks like he feels the freedom from hell.''

glad you like the walk Stryderzero, that was the idea =D

''You can work more on its feet animations, what only move in attack animation is the hands, which is unrealistic, you should at least make him step backwards then shoot an arrow, something like that. Other animations are good to be honest, just fix the attack animation ^_^''

attack is built to be fast, its actually hard to animate every thing else to look good in an animation that is one eighth of a seconds (0.8) long =)

other wise it looks weird and glitchy. the feet where problematic to me, it is why they seem blank in attack.

attack actually moves alot of bones, not just his hands, his 4 spine bones, neck bone, skull bone, and skull jaw bone all also move, in addition to the 2 arms, and 2 shoulder plate bones.

''Nice, he even moves like skeleton :D. I like it.
Do you have any murloc models? We haven't got any on the Hive yet :D.''

I do actually, I have a mur'loc mounted trebuchet mosasaurus, a mur'loc mounted allosaurus, a mur'loc mounted dragon turtle, a mur'loc 5 tier town center, and an rpg mur'loc with 157 animations on it, for bows arrows spears spell casting, wielding a rocket launcher, a golden ak-47, and other stuff.

all in-complete

EDIT: ''now we have swimming skeletons? o_O awesome!''

yea lol I figured swims were not the most necessary thing but what ever. glad you like it misha

Well, The Attack Anim looks Fine to Me, Since It's a Skeleton, It's Ok
It's Only too static on the Lower Part (Some Small Movement Might Make it Look Lively, Real move abit or whatever, but since it's skeleton, :O Nah) , But really, It's Fine

The animations are very stiff, and rather jerky. Try to make them more fluid and natural.

its really hard, and they are fast, most of the lively fludiness is in stand 1-2 and walk, the rest is kinda stiff I know.

but in game they are not jerky at all, the viewer is breaking them. (only noticed that now)

The viewer only messes with Bone Scaling, Geoset Animations, Particles and such.

I'll tell you what I tell the other new animators. Take a good, long look at my models. Observe their animations. I do my best to make sure the animations are as smooth as I can get them.

that's not 100% true as in game the animations don't loop improperly, like they do in the hive viewer.

the best example being ''stand'' where the shoulder plate constantly hops up and down. this doesn't happen in game.

another good example is ''decay'' which looks absolutely 100% different from what it should be...what the hell is even happening there....

lastly and to the least extent is stand 2, again the shoulder plate hops up and down.

its not that the animations are not smooth, they appear very smooth to me in mdlvis editor, the world editor, and in game. the viewers not good at judging this.

im obsessed with smoothness. and vertex clipping.

I think ''bone rotation'' and ''bone movement'' should be added to that list as well, specifically bones that I have trouble with even in mdlvis editor, the left shoulder for example, in mdlvis editor, bugs out if you try to copy/paste a frame from the start of an animation to the very end of an animation 3 times over. not sure why. but its weird. I did manage to fix it though.

basing models off blizzard models does weird things, but this looks good to me in game/in world editor/in mdlvis, just not in the hive viewer, war3 model viewer, or magos.

don't know about any thing else, but I checked all of those mentioned viewing ways, and all seem to be different, save mdlvis and worldeditor/in game.

magos completely breaks attack, and stand swim is totaly off the wall retarded in the war3viewer

by the way direfury, your models are very nice =), and I appreciate your comments

Last edited:

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
This struck me as very creative due to the swimming animations. Love it! I have only one issue, but it's really bothering me. I dislike his leg posture during attack animation. Archer legs should spread out:
archery-1.jpg

Other animations could get some love too, but the attack animation is bugging me the most currently. Overall, this is really creative and has great potential. Would love to see it get improved. :)

This struck me as very creative due to the swimming animations. Love it! I have only one issue, but it's really bothering me. I dislike his leg posture during attack animation. Archer legs should spread out:
archery-1.jpg

Other animations could get some love too, but the attack animation is bugging me the most currently. Overall, this is really creative and has great potential. Would love to see it get improved. :)

yea I know, its the attack rate/speed I aimed for, the foot posture needs to be the same for stand as attack, perhaps stand should have a leg forward/backward, he does attack every 0.8 seconds, and if he stands with his feet together military style, and has a foot some where else during attack, it will flip back and forth very fast, and it looks just awful.

I wanted stand to look almost military, with both feet together, imposing, loveless, un relenting, but a lot of people are really hating on my legz..... I'll think about it.

I think the reason it bothers you so much and not me, is because archers tend to have to be strong to be able to hold a bow, and this stance is part of it, but I imagined my skeleton not really being weak and needing it. I rather like attack my self. but then It took me over 15 days to rig just the arms for attack, maybe I was just lazy on the legs for that reason. could be my fault.

glad you like it any way spasorc

funny you'd say that Stryderzero, but not among my plans (for the direct abomination any way)

thank you mike glad you like its swimmyness.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Well, the only thing I can suggest that might help you out is to take a look at this model. It's one of my favorite models. I am certainly not suggesting to copy it or anything. You seem to be very creative on your own, but in terms of animations, this might prove to be a good source of inspiration for you. :)
Good luck!

Level 17
i DONT like how it stand like (real life solder its feet are stick togather and and it moves like a robot ) other then that its skin looks nice but CMON man ita a perfect Model if its feet arent like that PLZ make it a little bit down low when walking like the orginal skeletal archer,

StormKnight: At the time I wanted it to take less area on the ground, or less ''space'' during the stands, for a more ''compacted'' ''sqiushed'' or ''game of thrones'' style undead look, which is a less spread out one, my experience in making a good looking stand was limited, the goal was walk more then stand. and death too.

the problem is im lazy. my fault sorry.

still need to upload the other 3 uhg

Santacruz: thanks glad you liked it.

Last edited:
Level 17
kellym0 okay i seem to understand this but if you ever updated this model in your own good time this guy right here can be an awsome skeleton archer if it walks like the last one and have all the other contant

but come to think of it hmm can you wipe out all the other animations and just make this same model to walk like the old one ???
now dont get me wrong keep this model and just remake another based on the same with the old walk anim
then you have the full package if ppl want a skeleton with all other animations they got it
and if they just want to have this great model just in old walk form they gotta pay the price with not having other anims but still use it!
cuse it looks great!
sry for bad english.

the head is too big? technically I never really changed it, its similar in cartoony size to the burning skeletal archers head, actually shrank down a bit, but its an easy change to make, your welcome to change any of my resources in any way you see fit for them to be of use, if his head is too big for you, you can use mdlvis editor to shrink the geoset down a bit.

thanks edy and broth glad you liked it.