• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Range attack question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok... i made a new unit, its a demon and its a siege unit. this means it got long range. my question is i want its attack to damage anything get in the way of its missile (obviously the attack will have no projectile arc). the art im using is crypt lord's impale.. and for those of u that play starcraft, im looking for an affect of zerg lurker's attack. help plz
thx

Level 9
Go to weapon type for that unit and change it to either missile (line) or artillery (line). Then, change the damage spill distance to the appropriate thing. However, this will cause damage to spill in a line past its initial target.

If you want a line from your attacker to the target, you can write up a trigger for it to run whenever it's about to attack (Whenever a unit is attacked; use it as the attacking unit) and force the unit to use a modified shockwave ability. That should do it.

Level 9
uhm.. can u tell me wat missile (line) or artillery (line) means? i just wanna kno. also since this unit's attack is homing, i dont think it will be a straight line (like ur 2nd paragraph...)

How great is the range of your unit? If it's a short range, it won't matter whether or not the projectile is homing.

Missile (Line) and Artillery (Line) are attack types you can set, just like Normal and Missile, which determines how a unit attacks. Missile fires a homing attack that strikes everything after the initial target, while Artillery fires a non-homing attack that strikes everything after the initial target. Either can have splash damage, but Artillery must have splash radius.

Level 22
crap dude. thats imba. um, yah, youre gonna need triggers. (line) means that after it reaches its initial target, it'll hit another target with X range for reduced damage . so it does damage in a line. but i dont think (line) will attack units that it encounters along the way.

ok.... so are u saying that the (line) is comparable 2 ... say ... nite elf huntress' attack? (or if u play starcraft, mutalisk XD)? if thats the case then wast the difference between (Line) and (bounce)? also, u say it hit another target with x range... is this X modifiable? or its a fixed number?
moving on...
is there any chance u can suggest some trigger? (dont bother throwing in any jazz, or watever PC language u guys use,)

PS: if u play dawn of war, u'll notice that the imperial guard's Basilisk has insane range, if placed correctly in a small map, the basilisk can fire anywhere in the map! and of course, Dawn of war is balanced... that means my map is too =)
and most of the infantry is smaller than a rabbit, vehicles are rooughtly the size of a knight.

Level 9
ok.... so are u saying that the (line) is comparable 2 ... say ... nite elf huntress' attack? (or if u play starcraft, mutalisk XD)? if thats the case then wast the difference between (Line) and (bounce)? also, u say it hit another target with x range... is this X modifiable? or its a fixed number?
moving on...
is there any chance u can suggest some trigger? (dont bother throwing in any jazz, or watever PC language u guys use,)

PS: if u play dawn of war, u'll notice that the imperial guard's Basilisk has insane range, if placed correctly in a small map, the basilisk can fire anywhere in the map! and of course, Dawn of war is balanced... that means my map is too =)
and most of the infantry is smaller than a rabbit, vehicles are rooughtly the size of a knight.

What exactly do you need to do? Cause damage in a line? Have a bouncing attack? Or deal damage to everything along the way?

Level 17
I suggest you work with dummy units.
Give that dummy unit a shockwave abilty and ajust it to the values and range u want it.
Then everytime the unit attacks a dummy unit will spawn at its location and shoot a shockwave at the target that was attacked.
After that the dummy unit dies ofcourse.

It's to bad I suck at making stuf like. You should ask somebody else to actualy make it for you. (It's a custom spell kinda thing.)

What exactly do you need to do? Cause damage in a line? Have a bouncing attack? Or deal damage to everything along the way?

i need a unit attack that attack a target (fair enough), the projectile is homing, any destroyabled (... well anything, may it be unit, building, destructionable, wards... u get the picture) item will be damaged (NOTE: becuz the range of this attack is 2700, and its homing, it is possible for this projectile 2 move IN A CURVE.) ...(or better yet, the projectile move like a snake XD)
its basically zerg lurker's subterrian spine, except the spine folos you and can change direction
this is wat i want.
if u need more info plz feel free 2 ask

Level 22
yah, but imperial guards have no starting heavy infantry, and their guardsman suck. a squad of berzerkers ripped apart like 3 squads of guardsmen.
plus, using basilisks to shoot into fog of war is HIGHLY inaccurate.

(line) is the ballista's attack. it doesnt bounce, just hits it and the unit right behind it. the huntress uses the bouncing glaives ability.

you might want to look up the Modern Warfare mod for wc3, made by illidan(evil)x. its got a homing missile system thats pretty realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.