• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Impale as an attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all,

Is it possible to turn impale into an auto attack?

I would like my unit's auto attack to deal the Hero damage of the unit in a line and fling opponents into the air, but not stun them. I turned projectile art into impale, but it looks terrible and also doesn't do the art from the caster up to the maximum range and also changing projectile type to missile line or artillery line also doesn't change the animation nor attacks in a line.

I'm thinking trigger:
Event:
Unit attacks
Condition:
Unit = Crypt lord
Action:
Cast Impale dealing unit damage.

Level 3
Yep and make stun duration to 0.01 - beware! 0.00 probably will make the stun last forever (not sure if every cases, but sometimes I experienced it)

Level 4
Impale.png

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. The fling up in the air doesn't work at all and also the Impale art appears at the enemy unit's feet and not in a line and also the effect sound doesn't work :S. I gave this to the orb of lightning item since when I gave it to my hero it became a castable ability and not an auto attack effect.

I do see stats - Effects, but there is no "Impale" on the list to select it so I don't know if that part is bugged on my side since my editor got a bit screwy not too long ago for some reason.

Level 4
here you go :)

also check the triggers i added, because the effect otherwise only procs when you issue the order to attack

Thanks for the effort. + rep. This will give me the ability to make a few units I want.

Just a few issues though.
- The Impale happens a slight delay after the attack happens. I can live with this if it's not fixable.
- The damage of impale is separate from the attack so it's a double strike dealing damage to the targeted target, then in a line. I can live with this too if not fixable, but I'd really like armor reduction to come into play, unless it affects the damage of impale itself already?
- I'm trying to understand your trigger to see if I can fix it myself to no avail:
  • Attack
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Targeted unit)
  • variable
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.10 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set yourhero = Crypt Lord 0001 <gen>
      • Trigger - Add to Attack <gen> the event (Unit - yourhero Acquires a target)
The issue is, when I tell the crypt lord to attack, he attacks all targets randomly instead of focusing on the one I ordered him to attack.

Level 13
- i'm not sure how to fix the delay
- i missed that point when i read your post :D ; you could make the impale deal 0 damage, and instead trigger the damage. then you can choose the damage type (threads for damaging units in line: Damage in a line and
Area of Effect in a rectangle? ) you would somehow have to track the damage of your unit
- the reason is probably if you use the "acquires a target" event, he will attack the nearest unit which is not affected by the previous impale. if you always order him to attack "by hand" you don't need the trigger

Level 11
I gave it a try, I enclosed a test map (Thanks to @Diegoit , I got inspiration from the map he provided in this thread: Passive chain lightning item - Maelstrom - dota 1)

It seems there is no delay, no random attack. However, I didn't solve your double damage problem. As UreDe4D said, you might want to trigger the damage. You may also play around with your unit's damage, the number of levels for Impale...

Attachments

• Impale.w3x
    23.1 KB · Views: 44
Level 4
I gave it a try, I enclosed a test map (Thanks to @Diegoit , I got inspiration from the map he provided in this thread: Passive chain lightning item - Maelstrom - dota 1)

It seems there is no delay, no random attack. However, I didn't solve your double damage problem. As UreDe4D said, you might want to trigger the damage. You may also play around with your unit's damage, the number of levels for Impale...

Thanks, the impale strikes immediately. However, on my side the crypt lord still attacks one target, then switches target to the next enemy and attacks it instead of killing the first target.

On another note, if anyone can assist me: I added Vorpal blades to my unit, since afaik it deals damage to the original target and any targets behind it, but it's not working with the trigger, I see vorpal blades' information sheet is pretty much empty, if that's the issue?

Level 11
However, on my side the crypt lord still attacks one target, then switches target to the next enemy and attacks it instead of killing the first target.
I think it's normal: when units are thrown in the air, they become untargetable by the crypt lord. Therefore, he switches to another target.

Level 21
Vorpal Blades does literally nothing. It's just a dummy ability to tell the player what a certain upgrade does, but all its effects are actually from that upgrade.
Maybe you can make use of the approach I used here. In that thread I basically show a way to detect the damage of any spell and thus to change it, although I also use it for other things that are more fun.

Level 4

Greetings, I've used this trigger in my map, but I only recently tested it against mechanical units, but it doesn't work. I even changed the orb and the ability to include mechanical units, but it still doesn't want to work on mechanicals. Any assistance please :S?

Status
Not open for further replies.