• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Railroad Raid v0.7

I had a little speed mapping contest with a clanmate of mine, in which the theme was Guerilla Warfare, and after 6 hours I came out with what I think is quite a good map. I have since improved it, but I think it has a achieved a good sweet and simple element. :grin:

Defend or destroy a damaged Imperial Cargo Train as it carries it precious cargo west.

In this map there are two factions the Imperials and the Rebels.
While the rebels have the ability to replenish their troop supply they are heavily outgunned and out numbered, forcing them to use teamwork and strategy in order to have any hope of winning.
However if the Rebels play well the same is true of the Imperials, creating a need, largely for in combat tactics, rather than over all strategy.

- Don't spread out too much or a good Rebel team will rip you a part.
- If you can get close use melee combat, your units deal high amounts of damage, but in melee they attack at the same speed as the rebels.
- Be careful about pursuing the rebels, they can easily out distance you and return to harass you.
- You will receive reinforcements every time you reach a town (except the last)

- Do not engage in melee combat unless they do first, although their melee is superior to yours, your melee is still much faster than ranged.
- Remember to strike and then run, your units can attack much faster so try getting off a couple shots before they can reload too many times, and you can deal some serious damage.
- Field Cannons are devastating weapons but they have a massive 15 second cooldown, fire and then retreat your cannons to reload.
- Remember to make joint attacks with your allies, prong attacks can be good to draw the enemy off and then strike and a different location, or you could also strike at one location and then retreat when reinforcements come.
- Imperial players will often heavily defend the front of the train, expecting and ambush or the like, try attacking from the rear.
- If the Imperials lose if one train wagon they will lose, try to focus your fire on one wagon.

Picture1-4.png
Picture2-5.png
Picture3-6.png
Picture4-5.png

v0.7
- Fixed Loading Screen Name
- Rebel Skirmisher "Gold Cost" increased from 20 to 25
- Imperial Guard "Base Bounty" increased from 4 to 10
- Rebel Income changed from 1 per 5s to 2 per 7s
- Added instructions relating to Rebel Recruitment and Imperial Reinforcements.
- Rebel Recruitment buildings now have special minimap icons.

v0.6.1
- Captains implemented
- Fingolfin's Captain Model Added

v0.6
- Name changed from Train Defense to Railroad Raid
- Field Cannon "Stock Replenish Interval" increased from 120s to 150s
- Field Cannon "Food Cost" increased from 3 to 4
- Rebel Skirmisher "Gold Cost" decreased from 25 to 20
- Imperial Guard "Base Bounty" decreased from 10 to 4
- Rebel Income decreased from 2 to 1 per 5s
- Rebel Skirmisher "Stock Replenish Interval" increased from 0s to 10s
- Rebel Skirmisher "Stock Maximum" increased from 0 to 10
- Added Rebel Captain, and Imperial Captain

Keywords:
Train, Defense, Imperials, Rebels, Gunpowder, Cannons, Age, of, Exploration, Muskets, Railroad, Railway, Cargo, Protect, Defend, Destroy, Raid
Contents

Railroad Raid v0.7 (Map)

Reviews
15:21, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 14
Well, sounds good, testing.

EDIT: Well. The terrain was excellent, no complaints on that. The gameplay was fun and balanced, but a Hero would be awesome. The game might get a bit boring after few plays.
Some music could make the game better, but that's your choice.
This + AI = Awesome
Rating: 4/5.

Level 11

Hmm, someone else suggested a Hero too, but I'm afraid that if I add one it will shift the focus of the gameplay too much, it will become all about the hero, just as Melee almost is.

However I was thinking I might give each player a Captain, not like a hero with abilities and everything, but more like just an extra strong unit that levels up, and maybe has an aura and an active ability.

Not sure what kind of music might fit, but I was thinking about trying to find a loop for the train's engine.

AI might be hard... I don't have really any experience in that area, maybe I could ask someone to help make one though...

I played it about 6 or 7 times with my friend with only a slight lessening in enjoyment, but that was because I won every time except the last... but that is likely because I am the creator. I was trying to get BlinkBoy to make me a variation on the unit, but with a Sabre and Pistol, so I could add a bit of unit variation (or use that for a Captain), but he says he's busy :sad:

Level 3
Great Map :)

Love it. Wish I got mine finished on time though, would have been nice to compare them. I'll have it in the next two days. Recommend this map to anyone else, simple but very fun. 5/5. Keep it up :)

And + Rep too :D

Level 3
- Rebel Skirmisher "Stock Replenish Interval" increased from 0s to 10s
- Rebel Skirmisher "Stock Maximum" increased from 0 to 10
- Added Rebel Captain, and Imperial Captain
- Rebel Skirmisher "Gold Cost" decreased from 25 to 20
- Imperial Guard "Base Bounty" decreased from 10 to 4

My suggestions! I WIN!
This was a fun map. GJ on the name change. Hope we can play again, eh?

Level 11
I do, sorry about leaving yesterday, but you and squigee had vanished and it was almost 2 am where I am. :sad:

Anyways thanks guy, but I'll have to update soon, cause I realize I forgot to make it so you can actually obtain the Captains! Must have been the tiredness getting to me. :smile:

I haven't played the map yet, but i will download the musketeer model and see if i can make some variations on it, like give him a sabre and pistol as you sugested.

EDIT: Here are some shots of the new captain mesh:
attachment.php

And the pistol:
attachment.php

I havent changed the animations yet, but i'll try to do that tomorrow. Think i should ask blinkboy for permission first. ;)

Attachments

• Captain.jpg
    Captain.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 4,420
  • Pistol.jpg
    Pistol.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 4,390
Last edited:
Level 3
Those models look sweet, Fingolfin. +rep.
Anyways, Ardnived, you need to find a way to make it so Train cars are weaker, but you have to kill all of them... I found that most people I tested this with (everyone on my friend's list) had that ONE complaint.

Level 11
Fingo, those are looking pretty awesome :), thanks a lot, and nice that you changed the cap too :)

Cam, well what I originally wanted was for the damage to be spread throughout the train, so that all of them would take the same damage, but have higher hp and such. But the one way I did that didn't distribute fast enough to keep up with attacks and the other one caused a fatal error. I might look into rigging that again with Ancestral Spirit, but we'll see.

I think the captain is pretty much finished now, i'm attatching it to this post for you to check. I tried to make the "alternate" mode as distinguished as possible to make the unit better recognizable, it looks a little funny, but i think it's nice.

The arm carrying the sword deforms a bit awkwardly some times, but this is due to the mesh and wont hardly ever be seen since the units are so small.

this model uses an extended version of the original texture - nothing is painted over, only added. This means that you could replace the old texture whith this one, if you know how to do that (can be done in magos) so that both models uses this one.

PM me if you find any bugs or have any trouble with this model.

Attachments

• Napoleonic_Captain.rar
    114.1 KB · Views: 142
Level 11
Whoops sorry not intentional, weird that no one noticed that when I tested before, but I need to update anyways, I'm gonna put the bounty and skirmisher cost back to the way it was before and add some instructions regarding Rebel Recruitment and Imperial Reinforcements, and probably a Quest Log for Credits and instructions for people who miss the starting ones. Also maybe buff the captains slightly

EDIT: Updated.

EDIT 2: Changed the Minimap Preview :p

Also thinking about making another map along similar lines of the models and strategy.

Level 6
how about a map where the rebel bases spawn randomely in a square around the edge of the map (a large thick square mind you) and the imperial dudes (in the center) have to both hold out and hunt the rebels. they outgun, the rebels, but there forces come as neutral dudes (non-controllable) from different roads. therefore, control of the roads is vital to being able to build up a large enough force to defeat the rebels. the rebels simply have to kill the support untill all the imperials die.

Level 3
Cool map =D
heres a little comment:The Rebel have too little soldier and too weak of unit maybe u need to have them make more money? maybe make a barrack so that they could build units without having 1 unit station there

Last edited:
Level 6
no rebels are comps

the imperials have resquable comps that head from different corners of the map towards the center. the center is an imperial fort or something, and the imperials need to 1)deffend the fort, and 2)get as many reinforcements safely to the fort as possible, and 3) kill the hidden rebel bases.

Level 6
my idea would require smart players. the only way the rebels will win is if they can control the roads leading into the fort, while at the same time remaining discrete about there location, wich they must also protect if found.

the imperial players need to find a way to get their reinforcements (wich they get control of the moment they get near) into the fort, while at the same time not compromising their forts deffenses, and simultaneously scouting to find the rebel base and stockpile enough guys to destroy it. it's a mix of search and destroy and a siege.

Level 6
*sigh* all the players are human with the exception of 1 COMPUTER! that computer is neutral capturable, wich means when a human allied unit gets near it it switches to that player. THERE IS ONLY 111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!.

the only reason for that is so that people dont mass at the spawns, avoid ambushes by manouvering the new units all the way around (because the new guys dont know where the enemy is until someone cames and tells em, wich is also why they can be captured)

EXAMPLE: reinforcements arive for empire. guys spawn at road for computer and head towards the fort from north and south. guys in south are ambushed by rebels and kiled. guys in north meet up with a small group of imperial troops owned by red, they then switch to red (this happens automatically and is already in the game requiring no jass/triggering) next spawn, the northern guys do not meet up with anyone and reach the fort, in wich case they are now within the radius set by blizard, and become whomevers.

imperial players must protect these reinforcements and conserve as many men as possible because otherwise they will be overwhelmed. rebels start with less men, and hidden bases, but get reinforcements from buildings (making it much faster) and can overwhelm the fort if they aren't carefull, but at the same time have to be very careful to not waste men, or let the fort deffenders get enough reinforcements to be able to hunt down the rebels. to prevent massing an army and leaving the fort, the fort must be deffended, so if the imperials want to attack they will need a surplus of guys (strategy talk here) maybey i'll just make an alpha to show you how it will work.

Level 11
Oh sorry lam, missed that before :)

Cool map =D
heres a little comment:The Rebel have too little soldier and too weak of unit maybe u need to have them make more money? maybe make a barrack so that they could build units without having 1 unit station there

Hmm well perhaps I could maximize the shop's range for nearby units, and make it owned by one of the Rebels for Line of Sight.

But I intended to make the rebels have fewer numbers, their attack damage is quite weak but they excel in other categories.

Did you read the tips for playing rebels? You must remember the theme of this map was Guerilla Warfare.

I made the rebels in such a way that there is no way to win in a pitched battle. However your attack and movement speeds are much higher. This means you can usually get off two shots while they only get off one (Or none!) and then run. You can bring in your cannons, fire and run (since they have 15s cooldown).

Attacking from different sides is also a good idea, get two rebels to draw their attention to one side of the train, while the third sneaks in with cannons, pounds the train, then runs when the imperials send troops back to defend it.

Level 3
oh k lol i just find it very hard as rebel since the gold u get is too little to even support themself and yah the shop should have further range or u could just create a different bunker for each player maybe make the train abit easier to hit? i find it abit hard to aim at the train

Level 11
Do you mean to click on it? Unfortunately I do not know how to fix that, it is a flaw in the model.

EDIT: Nevermind Lam

You are right I just tested the map and the Imperials are a bit OP, rebels are intended to be challenging but it is a bit too much.

I was discussing with s.kyline (My Primary Tester), and we remember v0.5 be very well balanced, so I am gonna revert all of the stat changes since then.

Level 11
Hmm maybe it could be slightly smaller. When you look at the height of the guys though, taking away the wheels of the train, it looks just about tall enough for them to stand in I think.

Not the most important thing though :) If I update I'll look at adjusting the train size though. :)