• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

question about maps with elaborated spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
can a map with a lot of custom elaborated eye candy spells work well and not lag when theres 10-12 players?

i ask because my map still lags so right now im lowering the periodic events (instead of 0.04, 05/.06)

Level 20
The effects (eye candy) takes most part of the lag in a game. If you code the triggers correctly they don't prone to lag. Have you ever played DotA? There you can have 10 players casting up to 50 abilities in 5 seconds with no lag at all, because they're very well coded, and because there isn't many heavy effects.

Level 29
The effects (eye candy) takes most part of the lag in a game. If you code the triggers correctly they don't prone to lag. Have you ever played DotA? There you can have 10 players casting up to 50 abilities in 5 seconds with no lag at all, because they're very well coded, and because there isn't many heavy effects.

from what ive heard Dota has pretty poor coding.

Level 29
And yet, you can have 10 players casting all their abilities in a second withtout major or noticeable lag.

yup. Spell lag can still be caused by bad coding. Looping through unused indexes. Not destroying leaks. creating to many units as units always leak even if removed. and many other reasons. The other big reason is as already stated the effects with high poly count. When to high of a poly count is in the players camera view then it will lag.

Level 20
I don't think dota is bad coded. Dota is the most popular Wc3 map, the best of it's tipe (AoS). IceFrog team was hired by Valve to make Dota2. You can have more than 90 minutes games with no lag at all. Abilities are smooth and some are pretty "complicated". The only way to achieve that is not having leaks and having good coding.

Level 20
I know, I'm also talking about Dota. What I mean is that "bad coding" is evidenced by lag, spikes, bad "playability", etc. Bad coding doesn't make a famous map, and the fact that Valve hired icefrog team shows that these weren't kids playing, they're coders.

Level 6
from what i remember dota spells are nothing compared to elaborated eye candy spells

im talking about lots of dummys and stuff

on the DotA thing, well DotA has improved a lot in terms of the spell coding... it doesn't lag now as it used to many versions before... some years before, you can see dummies, spells are non-mui etc... but now, they're far more better...

btw, lag depends on the comp too... but as long as you don't spam effects, your map shouldn't lag... it will also depend on the amount of polys that your effect models has... more polys are better looking but it takes more power from your computer to execute...

one high poly model can have the same lag effect as many low poly models...

@Spart - I believe IceFrog is assigned as the head or something but doesn't do a thing on the coding stuff of DotA 2...

DotA has bad coding because of their bad algorith,slow codes,etc,not because it leaks or whatev.

IceFrog team(yes,its a team) didn't do anything in DotA2.They left to job to Valve,and Valve just copied and observed how DotA works,they implemented it.

0 Leaks was just a reason why DotA has a smooth gameplay. And not just that,they're balancing was a god-like.

Actually,due to my discoveries,some DotA dummies are still selectable these days,notable was the Light Strike Array by Lina,which has the Shade icon.

DotA has very simple code,that's why the gameplay is very smooth and efficient

Level 26
DotA is just cheap is every aspect. It goes with the normal wc3 engine, which is of course much faster than jassing everything. Good/bad coding is very vague as there are multiple interests to be balanced. If you realize something in a slickly clean way, it probably achieves a lower performance than if you made compromises and waived extendability.

And no, a map does not need to have sophisticated triggering to become famous.

Level 6
making lots of dummies is a very bad idea. u can create one dummy then make a loop and move the dummy to the position of the unit then order the dummy to do whatever.

sometimes you need a bunch of dummys or the spells wont look the way you want, anyways i heard dummys are a lot better than special effects

Status
Not open for further replies.