• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

An Odd, But Very Important Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey guys,

I don't exactly need help on any specific problem but I do have a question that might or might not be easy to answer...

Basically here is how it goes, my map currently a .01 periodic event throughout the game on one trigger for all picked players. Finding 10 dedicated players to test its playability is very difficult so I thought maybe if I had 9 fellow computer players act as human players then it would correctly represent what it would be in game minus the lag of course. To my standpoint, I am not worried about lag as much as I am frame rate. Currently, when I am running the map with 9 computers which runs the periodic for the computers so it acts as a real player, it is very bad frame rate... It dips down to the single digits. So I have been optimizing my periodic firing and removing any excess lines and conditions that can be ran less.

My question is, does running me + 9 cpu's act the same as me + 9 players? Or is my frame rate horendous because each computer uses CPU power? I am simply trying to accurately represent the playability as much as possible for each player if there were to be 10 players in the map. I know each person has a better or worse computer but I have no idea how triggers are ran online. As in, if a pick every player periodic is run every .01 will each players computer run all 10 players on each pc or does the trigger only run the players information that is picked. It is a difference of 100,000 lines per second to 1,000,000 lines per second.

if I confused anyone on what I am tryign to ask, I can better explain myself and what exactly I am trying to say, but then agian I may just be confusing myself as well. ^_^

thanks

Level 21
I know 8 insane computers make my PC lag a lot. It's probably going to be the AI that demands too much of your pc.

And yes, each player's computer will run all 10 players on each pc separately. Only "local code" (using the GetLocalPlayer() function) is executed on a single computer. Local code can cause desync if you don't know how to use it though...

Level 8
hm i see i see, some of my stuff is already local code but im not very good with jass so I dont think I should try converting more. I have redone the periodic a bit and removed alot of stuff and I now get 25-40 frames per second with 9 pc players. I had way too many lines running on the periodic, i notepad pasted it and it was over 1500 lines so I rearranged some of the conditions to run differently. So would it be safe to say, if I can run 9 pc players sucessfully with 30+ fps that online everyone else would have atleast 30 frames per second assuming they are the average pc. This is not including ms though, most games would likely be ran through lan programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.