• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about game engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi guys...

Well, I alone with some of my friends decided to make a game. I worked with warcraft-3 world editor for some time.

Now, we are planning to use some other game engine to make games just for fun. Well, my question is are there any free to use game engines? We want to make a 3rd person hack and slash type game.

I guess it might be really hard to make something good. But at-least, we want to give it a try.

Level 7
You can try Game Maker Lite, Unreal Development Kit also has a free version, same as Unity 3D...

Though take note that you will need programming skills and maybe model creation skills if you want to work on a 3D game... especially if you don't want to pay for your resources...

Ya, i am good at programming and I have 2-3 friends who are good at model making.

What would be difference in Unreal development kit free and paid? Can all these engine be enables for lan play and online play?

One basic difference is how you release your game... I think games made in UDK Free license, cannot be sold... And I think it also has an impact to how many times the UDK can be installed and used for real-time collaboration...

anyway, they have a description and comparison of the licenses on their site the last time I checked...

and you will also need a powerful computer btw... Making/editing the game inside the engine takes much much more power and resources than running the game...

IDK for LAN/Online... but one thing is for sure, if you want to do online play then you would also need a server...

Level 7
Planning to go with udk engine. Cause both of its free and pro editions have same features.

What about gamemaker light and its pro version?

Level 15
Stick to Unity imho... It's free license is waaay better than UDK, not to mention it needs less performance afaik.

But, to be perfectly honest, I don't like these engines that much - I rather just take a graphics engine and create everything else myself, since it's easier to follow for me.

Level 7
Hey thanks guys for your replies. I have started work already. And I finally choose UDK as my game engine.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

The future of DirectX is questionable. Knowing how MS has pushed Windows Store and Universal Apps, they could easily restrict your options on commercial DirectX development. I recommend to stay away from it.

OpenGL is the way to go like I said in the other thread.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yea sluk way to go.

Anyway the objective answer is OpenGL. This thread can be locked now.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well I don't think you've described us your problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.