• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about adding/creating things in the World editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Ok so I am back to work on a new project called WC3 Duel Monsters. It is a sort of recreation of Yu-Gi-Oh only warcraft 3 style. I plan on making as many remakes of Yugioh monster, trap and magic cards as possible and would like to know how much databytes (KB, MB, etc...) would each addition or character creation roughly take up in a map... Thanks :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, do you want to re-create every Yu-gi-oh card as actual model ?
If so, forget it, even if it sounds harsh of me. If you cannot do it yourself then none will be ready to create such an amount of resources.

If you use place-holder models, hm, if you are not using default resources, you will fast reach 8 MB, which is the BattleNet Multiplayer maximum, as you have to think about, a good model is around 200-400KB big, you can import around 11.000 KB before the map becomes unplayable in BattleNet. This would be only 55 custom models of average to high quality ( speaking of unit/hero models) models.

Level 5
I dont think many of the WC3 model sites have any yugioh models at all that will worj on the world editor so far but I was more thinking of using either some default models and develop cards similar to yugioh but not the actual monsters, spells or traps in yugioh. Maybe make my own versions of them with what is available with WC3 and so on. I do imagine if i reach the 8MB limit, I'd have to have players download the 8mb patch if it even works. I have a thread in Map development if you want to look at it. Can be found here... http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...sters-project-idea-thread-270621/#post2737911

Level 24
@Ardenian
You can create a single model that is a rectangle with one side to be the back of the card and the other filled with a replacable texture.
This texture can then be used by destructables to create a generic card model.
All you need is a (x, y) .tga/.blp texture of the front side of the card to use it as an actual destructable in-game.

You can also just draw the image on the field (not screen unfortunately) and use that, however that means it is like the image is the ground texture so you cant have it stand up or something like that.

You would require some brilliant algorithm to use the destructables by trackables or you could try to have a unit that has abilities targeting destructables.
Anyway, your choice.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

@Wietlol
I thought he would like to have actual models, being summoned, not only the cards.

@Darkshooter1986, using in-game models allows you to re-create a lot of cards without even increasing file size a lot.

If you would like to create Yu-gi-oh cards in the way Wietlol describes I could link you two threads that are very useful regarding custom interfaces ( the hand of the player)

Status
Not open for further replies.