• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PVP Style Map, Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
As creators we all have ideas, but if these ideas are not what the public wants, then they might just be a waste of time! :cry:

Myself and another person are working on an arena/pvp kind of map.

It was inspired by a somewhat supersmashbrothers/fps/mmopvp/arcade style kind of thing. Kind of. :grin:

So here are the ideas, and we would like to know what you guys think!

Money/Honor/Currency

- Should there be money? Ie. DotA, Guild Wars, where we are rewarded for kills/good deeds?
Or
-Should there be no money? Ie. Super smash brothers, halo, where you just get what you can, pick the game up and run with it.

Items/Gear/Rewards
- Should there be rewards? Like where you get better gear and the such for better performance?
Or
-Should there be no rewards? Nothing but you and the other guys, no matter how good/bad you do.
Or
-Should there be independent rewards? So there are rewards, but they are NOT make/break. Example being WoW, if you are WAY better geared, then you will win, no matter the skill, somewhat. So items would effect the outcome, but not a 100% game around item builds, timing, farming, etc...

Experience/Leveling
- Should there be leveling? Should kills matter that much that we get them? Mind you that there are no creeps, this is pure hero on hero action, kills will have to grant a lot of experience
Or
-Should there be no leveling? This would be along the same lines of no gear, everyone is equal, the whole game, no matter the amount of kills/farm/whatever

Hope all of that is clear!

Level 3
Money-you should have gold but as for lumber make like a point system where when you kill a hero you gain a point.

Items-Make it able to buy items but even in a certain mode (kinda like a death match) when you kill an enemie one item from there inventory drops at there corpse and dont make items overpowered, make the items give an advantage but try to keep the heroes to there skill instead of there inventory.

Experience-keep this normal but if you want an interesting idea try making like every certain amount of minutes the hero gets a skill point to spend or after a certain amount of creep/hero kills or do that for your heroes level.

thought this up on the spot but hope it helps

Level 10
Money-you should have gold but as for lumber make like a point system where when you kill a hero you gain a point.

Items-Make it able to buy items but even in a certain mode (kinda like a death match) when you kill an enemie one item from there inventory drops at there corpse and dont make items overpowered, make the items give an advantage but try to keep the heroes to there skill instead of there inventory.

Experience-keep this normal but if you want an interesting idea try making like every certain amount of minutes the hero gets a skill point to spend or after a certain amount of creep/hero kills or do that for your heroes level.

thought this up on the spot but hope it helps

There are no creeps, but thanks, :grin:

Thank you for the input!

Your item idea is a very nice one, I really like that.

Experience, hmm, that would be interesting, say make it so that every minute of game time everyone gets more exp? or more skill points? that would be interesting. Maybe make special things, like every kill gives you exp, but the 5th kill, or double kills and the such give you bonus exp. That might be interesting.

Thank you!

Level 7
I dont think you're asking the right questions.
having or not having a money and gear system is not the thing that will make your map boring, the gameplay its what importent and these things are just additions.
your maps gameplay can be based on getting money or gear, but anyway you should think of a basic gameplay first, and then think how you can enhance it with money and gear.

Level 10
I dont think you're asking the right questions.
having or not having a money and gear system is not the thing that will make your map boring, the gameplay its what importent and these things are just additions.
your maps gameplay can be based on getting money or gear, but anyway you should think of a basic gameplay first, and then think how you can enhance it with money and gear.

Ok, that makes sense.

Would you have any suggestions of a gameplay system that YOU would like to play?

Level 7
you mean you want me to think of a game and you'll make it?

Im working on a map myself as you can see in my sig and that's the gameplay i want to play :p

thinking of the whole map for the maker is a really weird thing, YOU should think of something, write it here and ask what we think about it.

and be original, i want to play something diffrent!

Level 10
Gahhh, fine, then I will spit out what we got, and you can decide if you like the features? lol

I just don't want to go through tons of work and then have everyone go, "eh, tis ok", :grin:

So, main ideas:

-Few Classes
--Warrior, Mage, etc...
--Classes have an innate passive
--Then they will have points to choose the other abilities, 3 of those (4 abilites total.)
--Abilties will have moderate damage, so that one spell will never do the job, but you won't have to spam 50 either.

-Multiple maps
--Not like 6, but about 2-3 different ones. Symmetrical, Asymmetrical, and maybe a somewhat randomly generated one.
--multiple simple modes
---deathmatch, ctf, and a few different ones! (assault, kill a vip, hunt invisible players, etc...)

-FAST gameplay, none of this spend 20 minutes dying crap, yes, faster than dota, :thumbs_up:
-low effect items, they will not MAKE the game, skill and teamwork will
-DEFINED classes, "tanks" will have a LOT OF HEALTH, and will deal VERY LITTLE DAMAGE, ACTUALLY!!! this is not a game where a squishy caster can grab epic gear and not be squishy, they will be squishy no matter what you do, so teamwork is key
-active environment, maps will not be flat and objectless, many obstacles will be there, and be able to be put on the maps. ie. barracades, walls, towers, etc...
-player vs player ONLY
--no creep crap, no farming crap, no gear crap, person on person, team style, or FFA, best man wins.

Simple, straight foreward, everyone starts with 4 gold. Each item is worth one, sells for one. They are SIMPLE, like, an unlimted healing potion that is only usable outside of battle. A piece of armor that negates a couple of damage points. A small mana boost. Things of this nature. They will also start with 1 passive, and 3 abilites. If you are a caster, they will be varied, one fire, one ice, etc... warriors will have one defensive, one offensive, one health related, or something like that. They will have 10 points, that DOES NOT CHANGE, and it is NOT enough to fill all abilites. they will have 3 abilites with 5 levels, so you are either ALL one thing, or split up. The games will be FAST. None of this, 5000 kills stuff. in a 5v5 match, it would have a say 3-5 minute timer, and go to 10-15 kills. VERY fast matches. The maps will be small, but have a lot of obstacles and the such to play with. The heroes will move very quickly, adding to the quick pace of the game.

This is how it is now, and I was trying to get a sense of how people liked the ideas.

I tried to send out a map, and got no response, thought it was the ideas, so I am testing those out to see if they are solid. If not, I will fix them.

Thank you for your time reading all this, :thumbs_up:

Level 7
So this is an action RPG with the regular game mods we've seen everywhere and the abilites thing is not clear...

i didnt understood the abilites there will be. also, it sounds like there is a little choice of things and after a number of times of playing it will just get boring. to avoid this you need options (like many heroes or abilites to choose from), and/or advacment (you keep some gear between the plays with the save code thing) or something.
cuz having 5 classes with 5 abilites each dosnt sound like much from here.

Level 10
So this is an action RPG with the regular game mods we've seen everywhere and the abilites thing is not clear...

i didnt understood the abilites there will be. also, it sounds like there is a little choice of things and after a number of times of playing it will just get boring. to avoid this you need options (like many heroes or abilites to choose from), and/or advacment (you keep some gear between the plays with the save code thing) or something.
cuz having 5 classes with 5 abilites each dosnt sound like much from here.

Ever played Super Smash brothers? The reason it is so fun is because it is fast, easy, and simple.

Yes, the typical Ctf, or Deathmatch, or whatever thing has been done to death, but we have hit a point where people try to add 10,000 things to it. People don't try to make the simple things fun, they try to make it more complicated to make it fun. IMO this is a bad way to do it. Adding complex item systems and complex ability systems will not 100% guarantee a more fun map. I am trying to recreate that magical thing, where the simple, and done to death idea, is made again, but still fun, :thumbs_up:

Level 7
I know what you mean, and i did play SSB (the old 64 one XD), and its really fun.

but you still need some replay value. having alot of heroes will get people to play agein but with a diffrent hero this time, having alot of game mods or other options will get the same result.

while advacment will get people dedecatied to your game.

its just somethings you should think about, so your map wont be a one run and never play agien map :D

Level 10
Alright, here is what is being worked on right now:

PvP map still

You will choose from a few heroes, not to many, something like eight. Once all the heroes are picked, their will be a team or FFA picking, then a map picking, then a mode picking. This will all be done by host, nice and quickly, but back to the fun parts!

Each map will have different items strewn across it.

There are two types of items, replenishment, and ability.

The replenishment items will do just that, they will give health +/ mana to the player.

Ability items are the key to this map. Each item will grant the hero an ability tied to that item. Each hero will have a maximum of 2 items.
(A system is being devised right now, so that no matter what order you pick the items up in, the hotkeys of Q + W and the slots on the card will make sense) These items are broken up into groups: Offensive, Defensive, and under each of those: Active, Passive.

Each hero will have one innate ability, it will be special to that hero. These abilities will be powerful, but take mana to cast. Abilities granted through items will not cost mana. Each hero will have one innate ability, and have the possibility of gaining up to 2 more from items.

Items drop on death, and the abilities are removed upon death or dropping them.

Their will be one of each type of item on each map. They will be spawned at certain preset locations around each map.

Items can be destroyed once on the ground, and will come back on a timer.

The map modes will be standard pvp ideas, ctf, deathmatch, and maybe a few extras if they are fun. The goal is fast, quick, fun as hell gameplay, and hopefully that is the result!

Feedback is appreciated, :wink:

Level 7
Sounds nice.
what kind of abilites will be pickable and what will be hero based? ordenery stuff like raise dead, heal, shockwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.