• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Purchasable in-game skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello everyone.

Images like this:

875746.jpg

Suggest, that there will be in-game blizzard skins, that are unlockable, most likely through payments. In other words, this suggests that microtransactions will exist, similar to Dota2, for example. But if we are given fully functional (and upgraded) World Editor, how would such microtransactions even work? Does this also imply, then, that Blizzard will limit players' ability to create and import custom models?

Such implications, on top of all the other concerns (e.g. Reforged being made for WoW fans, and not Warcraft 3 fans) make me glad I did not pre-purchase the game...

Level 11
Probably, hopefully, 'melee' only.

Imagine breaking archmages in custom maps, because they become Jainas. Lul

I wonder if Blizzard will allow us to use them in custom maps, and how that will work. Do we have to pay to use lore skins? :vw_death:
Blizzard cannot make us pay for in-game skins if we ourselves can create skins and models, and use them. That's the point.

To me it seems, that any kind of control over custom content, that is exercised by Blizzard, is a MASSIVE minus to the game. The entire point of WC3 till now, was that it was entirely community driven, with no control. We created our own maps. We created our own models and imported them. If Blizzard limits our ability to do so, they are going to kill Reforged before it even went off.

WoW community is not what kept WC3 alive till now. Wow Community won't do it in the future, either. They simply don't care about RTS genre, in general.

Then again, it seems, that Blizzard is mostly targeting Eastern markets today, with all of their products. CoughDiabloImmortalcough. Honestly, seeing how they marketed Reforged in Eastern regions, and we merely got the leaks of the thing, feels almost like Western fans are being abandoned... Almost...

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
To me it seems, that any kind of control over custom content, that is exercised by Blizzard, is a MASSIVE minus to the game. The entire point of WC3 till now, was that it was entirely community driven, with no control. We created our own maps. We created our own models and imported them. If Blizzard limits our ability to do so, they are going to kill Reforged before it even went off.
StarCraft II?

Level 11
StarCraft II?
Well, Warcraft 3 is a different case. The community is a modding community. I mean, this entire site revolves around modding WC3. If Blizzard takes this away, people will just stick to older patches. Something, that many already do, or are considering doing.

Level 11
You don't know people :)
Most of them don't sit here.
It will be solitary outcry.
I was referring to Warcraft 3 fans. And yes, a good portion of them do "sit here". And they've been expressing various concerns about Reforged, including similar to mine, for some time now. Even people in official forums are expressing concern over microtransactions. This is going to be anything BUT a "solitary outcry", my friend. :)

Level 7
I was concerned about this myself but don't worry, its already been confirmed purchasable skins will be available for custom mappers to use in their projects free of charge.

Even if Blizzard did try and make map makers buy them it would be a waste of time as we can just import them into our maps, so would be completely pointless to try to enforce. Personally, even though I don't play melee maps I'll be buying the skins off Blizzard anyway, just to show support for more WC3 content, as long as they arnt ridiculously expensive of course.

From what I've seen so far they will be lore-based skins, and hopefully stay away from the silly skins like Candy Anubarak and stuff.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
its already been confirmed purchasable skins will be available for custom mappers to use in their projects free of charge.
Source please.
Even if Blizzard did try and make map makers buy them it would be a waste of time as we can just import them into our maps, so would be completely pointless to try to enforce.
A contradiction?
From what I've seen so far they will be lore-based skins, and hopefully stay away from the silly skins like Candy Anubarak and stuff.
I wouldn't wager on that.

Level 7
My source is Dr Super, who seems to know what he's talking about! :)

But what I'm also saying, is that even if my source is incorrect, and they put the skins behind a paywall in the editor, there is a very easy way around this and it would be futile and time-consuming for Blizzard to try and police this. So either way, map makers do not need to worry about this.

Level 11
[...] we can just import them into our maps, so would be completely pointless to try to enforce.
[...]there is a very easy way around this and it would be futile and time-consuming for Blizzard to try and police this. So either way, map makers do not need to worry about this.
What I am worried about, is that precisely for that reason Blizz might try and limit our ability to import custom models.

Status
Not open for further replies.