1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Punish negatively repped users?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Linaze, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nah, the basic breakdown is as follows:
    1st Offense = Verbal Warning
    2nd Offense = -rep
    Continued Offenses = More and more infractions based on severity.
    AFAIK, that's how most moderation systems (not only in forums, but say, in schools) work (verbal warning, slight punishment, additional punishments).
    Depends case by case, but I find in this case this works quite well.
    --donut3.5--

2. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Rui doesnt give verbal warnings very much.

3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's because you should have read the Rules. They are supposed to be read (or given a fast look-at) as soon as you enter the forums, not once you step on the spiketrap.

4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Guys. Look at me, I get shitloads of neg rep, but I get fifty times as much positive rep. So you are saying that...?

5. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    HT ->

Rep
    Shading in Photoshop->Punish negatively...->Just_Spectating:bwahhahahahaahaha
    Just For Laughs->Septimus:I AM FIRING MY LAZOR.
    Warrior of Khorne->FrIkY:grawwwrgg
    Comic Contest #1->SuperCow:i like cows better
    ArcaneKnight(HT&ike_ike)...->Falconeye:A useful model.
    TeamGlowWhite.blp->DevineArmy:and thats why i <3 you +rep
    Squiggy's Gallery->-BerZeKeR-:Emo cowZ? I must be in da wrong world. D: =P
    Lure Breaker Keyblade->Ash:HAHAHAHHAHAAAAH NICE MAN, U GET REP 4 THAT!
    No rep->Kaitech[SanD]:Lul

There's you shitload of rep.
    Not much of this rep seems to be gained throug helping people.
    If people could give -rep for same kind of reasons, thoose people gives +rep.. Then the system is so failed.
    Neg rep should exist. There should be other systems, not taking awards from you. And rep should neither be "reward points" as we see in HT's rep point, he gained an awfull lot, for doing allmost nothing (No offense.)

6. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are right. I got most of my rep for THE LULZ. For making people smile, laugh, or ROFL. But well, laughing is healthy, and I get rep for that! DOESN'T THAT COUNT :D

7. Joe-black-5

Joe-black-5

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i just have a fight with someone and i got 1 -rep, and 4 +rep
    guess people like to watch fights XD

8. frostwhisper

frostwhisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh dear. HT just earned another gem.

9. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    <3 4 the lulz.

10. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This wasn't supposed to raise discussion about how pplz get theirz lulz gems, but about negative repz downsidez, k?

11. Kaitech[SanD]

Kaitech[SanD]

Resources:
    Resources:
    HT helps people in the better of ways, laughter is good for you. Giving you answers to a trigger won't make you see the bright side to something. HT is the clown of the Hive. He's a funny guy and unless you piss him off he's generally very kind to other members. He deserves his rep.

~~~

To be honest I think Rep is un-necessary. You get a member join who is going to request one thing or ask for help one time in the WEHZ. Let's say someone constantly patrols there offering as much help as possible. Most people ignore the request section and WEHZ because there's next to no reward at all. Most people requesting or asking for help don't even know rep exists, so they get the solution to their problem and say "thanks" then never come back to the hive. Therefore the person helping all these noobs has minimal rep, yet he deserves so much...

The other thing annoys me about rep is people like TDB. He was ALWAYS starting rep parties (Where you trade rep with other people; It's now against the rules) and he has crap loads of rep. He also gets repped for saying things the 10 year olds find funny, but everyone else tuts and looks away. I havn't seen much at all that he has done on the hive except spam failed attempts at being funny. Also I do recall in earlier stages he'd stalk the WEHZ zone quoting the helpful people and saying "Do this and it'll work" therefore getting the credit for it. I think TDB has spammed so much it's pointless even giving him neg rep. On top of that he's donated, which will also lower his chances of being banned.

/rant off XD

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.. Do you think people with negative rep give a shit about Avatars, Signatures and User Titles? They are the most retarded suggestions for punishment for having neg rep EVER. I think the whole "Uploading the same map twice = neg rep" is a bit stupid. Maybe after clicking on Upload a map there should be confirmation to check if you're uploading a completely different map or updating it. There should be a scan to see if maps already have the same name and linking to the resources they have already submitted, making clear there is updating.

Neg rep and positive rep is given out too freely. As suggested somewhere else there should be a system based on stuff like Helpfulness, Funny Factor, Friendliness, Respectfulness, Spammy, Flaming, Accidental rule-breaking (Multiple uploading, accidental double post). Funny Factor and Accidental rule-breaking shouldn't add to the overall score, but instead to a secondary thing. Of course, there'd have to be restrictions to stop abuse, like for instance members who havn't been here for up to 3 months can't add to negativeness.

12. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot, I've read the rules, I know how the system works. The problem is that it achieves nothing except obfuscating real punishment from some false attempt to punish. You're trying to compare a school to forums, which is great and all, but no matter how you slice it the internet is not real life. The internet is not serious business.

You are the forum on the internet, in case you weren't aware, and because of that you can define your own rules. You can choose rules that make sense and you can then enforce them in ways so that others will make sense of them or leave. Now consider that the internet is probably more stupid than your school, no, as a matter of fact I guarantee that it is. It's either filled with smart people that willfully abuse complicated systems (HT, etc.) or stupid people that can't understand complicated systems. This is why you make systems crystal clear, simple, and unavoidable.

Negrep is your ban factor. If HT earns enough negrep, he's done. End of story. Hell, he'd already be gone if that were the case. So he'd either learn to abide the rules (Like I know he would, because he's smart), or he would leave. Trust me, he'd abide the rules. Hey! Guess what! That was the goal of the rules in the first place.

I rest my case.

13. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How come Rising_Dusk = So much win? Oh, because his opinions are awesome, that's why.

14. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome how he used me as an example :p Though it is true... Hell, combined together, my infractions weight 17 points. And that is one ban plus 7 points. All my neg rep combined is probably -100. But my 1000 positive rep outnumbers it. Whenever I post something that makes no sense I also add something relevant to the topic... An easy way to fuck with a flawed system :p

Forgot to mention. I prefer smart trolls to stupid posters. Period.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  15. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    maybe ther should be another type of +Rep system for Just the Lulz.

like, little trophies, underneath the rep, and people can check mark the +rep to be for +rep for Lulz.

16. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, enough users give him rep so that he wouldn't ever go negative, as we can see. And if you simply want to measure how many times he's been neg repped, I think what you actually want is a removal of neg rep and instead using infractions. Or maybe combine the two. Iunno exactly, but it sounds very similar to what we have right now, so I'm not sure what the point of what you're saying is anyhow :p
    --donut3.5--

17. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    How what is already there isn't working, as if my previous posts weren't absolutely clear on that. It's a combination of enforcement and the system itself. Negrep is actually a much more useful system than infractions because the user can 'work' it off by helping or participating with other users. This is a sort of self-redemption policy that works great if the punishment system is taken seriously.

However, mods and staff can always keep track of how many times a user has been punished, particularly easily in cases like HT that are so few and far between. If they cause enough trouble and are then more trouble than they're worth, toast them. In HT's case, he probably isn't given enough negative reputation for his attitude and general demeanor in most topics. It's not tough, and yes, I'm sorry, but it requires the staff have half a brain about them and make solid judgment calls.

18. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If we magically removed "lulz" rep, then maybe.
    You do bring up a good point of the mods just banning anyone, but I don't see why you can't just replace "insta-ban" with "10-point infraction" in your mind.
    --donut3.5--

19. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, guys, shame on you. You need to TOAST ME. Too bad I am sooo "important" that I just don't get banned :p

20. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, you are correct. But people who get neg reputation usually begin to neglect the entire reputation system. It's also a lot harder for people to who have neg rep to get rep unless they do something really good, that can be good and bad though. People may work harder for the rep, but they might also just give up.

As for infractions they're more or less for one people don't smarten up after being neg repped multiple times.

It's called rules. :p

"NO GIVING LULZ REP"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.