• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The 2-Player Campaign
Project Updates

What is this?

This thread contains information regarding the project's current status.
Unlike the Subscribe for Notifications thread, this is not limited to map/pack releases and also contains general updates about the project, as well as ocasional screenshots or beta releases of chapters that are currently under development.

Here you can also share your suggestions and opinions on the current or future development. If you have suggestions, bug reports or map-specific questions regarding already finished maps then you can post a new thread in the Player Feedback section, or post a reply in the respective resource's thread.

Last edited:
Level 19
Well, that was unexpected wasn't it? This forum has not received an official update in years but that is about to change! So, lets get started, shall we?

The forum's map and pack links have been refreshed, and now contain those for the last orc chapter and the first 5 night elf chapters, as well as the pack for all orc chapters.
The credits list has also been updated.

The 6th night elf chapter is planned to be release by the end of the month. A beta of the map is sure to be released but I still need a few models and icons (mainly) in order to release it. Everything concerning spells and project-specific systems (such as save-load, tech sharing, upkeeps, etc.) is either done or is easily implementable.

As a side not, after the whole RoC has been completed, there will be a major update to all of the maps.
Older codes will not be compatible (unless you have an older version of the chapter) but they will contain a lot more information than the current ones.
For example, the code will include stats, exact experience, more accurate score tracking and a few other stuff.
Also, the code length will probably not increase. In fact it may even go down.

That's all I can think of for now!

Last edited:
Level 19
Okay, here is an interesting update. The beta is almost done!

Here is a preview of the custom hero:

example.jpg

So, he uses the orbs that surround him as his basic attacks, and some of his spells. They reappear a shortly after being used.

His passive ability enchances his basic attacks based on what orb is used. Fire adds extra damage, ice slows down the target and lightning stuns for a very short amount of time.

The last thing is one of his other abilities: pyroblast. Right now, it deals damage a target unit and half that amount to nearby units. I should probably lower the arc's height, and mess with the speed a bit.

I still need a model and icon for the last ability. If I dont make/find them soon I'll probably place a somewhat simpler one instead untill I do.

I am also not sure about the ultimate spell. I had a couple of ideas but the one that I had chosen didnt seem worth it in the end.

Also, I opened the thread. It really isnt worth opening a thread if a question is really simple.

Last edited:
Level 19
The sixth chapter's beta is nearly finished! I just need to sort out a few things and, hopefully, it will be up by the end of the day!

I noticed some stuff in previous chapters that are not right, and updates will follow soon. Some of the fixes/new stuff include:
  • Fixed typos.
  • [NightElf 4] Fixed corrupted ancients in Normal mode.
  • [NightElf 4] Fixed Corrupted Ancient Protector model - does not turn when attacking. This is the case even in the original campaign.
  • [NightElf 4 & 5] Improvements to Insane Mode.

Also, while looking through the nightelf chapters, I noticed that the code/triggers in them are very messy. Most noticeably in the last couple. I intend to go back and tidy things up.

A shorter one this time, hopefully a bit more later today.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

Last edited:
Level 19
Here it comes!

Keep in mind it is a beta, so bugs are expected, although I did check the bigger candidates to make sure they dont cause problems.

Also, Loramus has 2 abilities right now. Not sure if I should add an ultimate ability. Not exactly sure what it should be.

E: And of course, I forgot to upload the map :vw_unimpressed:
E2: Updated attachment, removed some stuff that I left in by accident and fixed a bug. Fixed a number of typos, too

Last edited:
Level 19
Update, fixed the skull cinematic and made sure Loramus' orbs dont bug out if the target dies (just in case, I havent actually seen it bug).

E: Oh, forgot to mention. Starter work on the last chapter (little by little). The interlude is already finished and included into the chapter.
I got some free space left on the map but I am not sure what to use it for (if at all).
I was thinking of the small credits map that is on the main menu in the game, but that is a different tileset and I cant add anymore cliff types inside the map.
Might add both credit maps (or atleast the long one) in a separate bonus chapter but I am not sure what else to add to it.

Last edited:
Level 19
Quick little update for a couple bugfixes. I also fixed some of the text messages and colors that were left over for some reason.
[Old Link]

Gonna be doing a bigger update in a few days. I will probably be updating the map download thread on the forum to make look fancier, as well.

Last edited:
Level 19
The update is a bit delayed. It will come in the end of the week where I will add the 3rd (first, technically) ability for the custom hero. Possibly a release.

I will also be doing updates to other maps and trying to fix as much of the bugs listed in the known bugs thread, as well as some that recently poped out.

I had also forgot to remove the attachment in the last update, sorry for that.

Level 19
Okay, another update to the 6th chapter! Pretty much only one thing is left to do before release. That is the 3rd spell for the second hero.

Here is what's new this time:
  • Pyroblast no longer deals damage to nearby enemies. Instead, it burns the target for a short amount of time (only dealing damage).
  • When Loramus dies, his orbs will no longer glitch out - they will either die (if their are orbiting him) or continue towards their target. Reviving him also works properly now.
  • Changed the end game sounds to be similar to the ones used in TheSpoon's maps.
  • The victory screen will display items properly (bug from last update).

As I said, the 3rd spell is pretty much the only thing left to do. The others are minor (like getting him an icon [rainbow]*sneaky fix*[/rainbow]).
Also, I will probably be changing his name because, lorewise, Loramus Thalipedes is a demon hunter.
[Old Link]

I also create a sticky thread at the player feedback forum :Commonly asked questions.
I figured it was a good idea, since a lot of the questions on the project's forums are either the same or very similar, so it will make it easier for those that have problems.

Last edited:
Level 1
When i played with my friend i found 4 bugs in NightElf 6
1. After the first cinematic the entangled gold mines remained neutral so the whisps couldn't enter the gold mine.
2. Green only attacked 2 times, the standard attack wave with the Satyr Hellcaller and the second attack was only a Satyr Trickster.
3. Loramus can't use pyroblast, it says ''Requires: Dummy''.
4. the second player can't skip the starting cinematic.
We tested 3 times

Level 19
Sorry for the lack of updates!

This time, there isnt much to show. Mainly because the bulk of the changes happened in the background - the map no longer uses vJASS (except for variable declarations, which I will fix later because it is a pain).
The only other worth mentioning is that Pyroblast now works like a normal ability (no other fancy requirements).
The bugs noted in the last couple of posts have been fixed, too. The AI still needs tinkering, so it may act weird.

Also, I have almost finished the new save/load system for the 2-player campaigns. The maps will not be updated with it just yet, though.
I will be making a demo map soon in which you can see a few more features that may be included once there is a map-wide update.
I will also include a comparison between AceHart's and the new systems. The latter works much better and give shorter codes, because the values that are needed to be saved are predictable and convenient.

Anyways, the updated beta of the 6th chapter is in the attachments. As I said, you probably wont notice much differences, except the fixed bugs.
The demo of the new features should be done in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Level 19
So... Long time no see!

The 6th NE chapter will be out in a day or two (this time for real).
Unfortunately, JNGP's multiplayer emulation is broken because of the patch and other alternatives crash the game very often, which makes it a pain.

Pyroblast now works properly and sets the target unit on fire.
The last ability added was Frost Shock (name doesnt fit that well) which deals damage in an area and slows units hit.
I will be adding the ultimate spell a bit later on as I am not really sure how exactly it will work. The general idea is there, just not the details (e.g. will it suplement other abilities and how)

Along with that, there will be pretty big updates to the 8th orc chapter and 5th human chapter.
Here are the more important/noticeable of them:
  • New unit/resource exchange and research/tech share code is being used. Eventually, all maps will be using these as they are more foolproof and offer more functionality in a more easily portable way.
  • Due to the above, sharing tech and resource gathering buildings now work properly - they properly find the nearest drop-off point and dont try to approach it from any particular angle.
  • In human 5 insane mode, the Town Halls no longer get displaced. (thanks pittaxx)

Last edited:
Level 19
As you may have noticed, we have made use of the new multi-author feature of Hive 2.0 - now all maps/packs in the project have all three of us set as (co)authors.
The main reason for this it is to increase the likelyhood of a bug to be fixed, even if the original uploader is not currently active. Such is the case with most RoC maps - TheSpoon rarely visits the site, and is unable to update it. It also removes the nuisance of having to send the fixed map, along with the changelog or description, etc.

As for the development of the project, I havent been working much on it for the past few weeks but I'm getting back into it as I get used to my new job.
At the moment, I have combined Twilight of the Gods with the interlude The Last Guardian and parts of the Bonus Credits map to fill in the empty space. There is still a little bit more space, and I may be able to fit something else (probably from one of the credit maps) but I'll have to do some more changes to it, mainly because of lack of cliff tiles.

Also, I have been making a little addon that should ease the process a bit. At the moment, it's just a colorizer so it isnt a big deal but eventually I may add more to it:
Animation.gif

Attachments

• Animation.gif
    Animation.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 296
Level 1
I appreciate the fact that you keep on working on this project, Gismo ! I hope both the 7th NE chapter and the Blood Elf Campaign see the light of day :) My friend and I support your work soooo.... good luck ! Hope to see fresh new maps soon enough :D

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
@MindWorX his colorizer looks interesting :D
Indeed it does.

How have you implemented it? If you think it's usable for other people, it would be great with a bit of information. We are currently working on remaking JNGP so it works with the newest world editor again and cleaning up in all the dependencies. We already have an old colorizer, but a bit of competition and more options to pick from would be great.

Level 12
Yo. How far in are we in this project? Any more updates? How many maps till completion?

RoC seems to be complete, except for the very last map. But I suppose one could play the 3 player version of the map or something.

TFT seems to be missing only the bonus orc campaign and the Alliance campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.