• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] Project:Historical battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
My hobby is history and I have an idea to make some famous historical battles into few minutes cinematics. Of course it will be not 100% strict to truth becouse limits of wc3 and becouse of noone exactly knows how it happened. The timeline will be from 3000BC(are there older battles recorded? i dont think so) to cca. 1400 AD, but my favorite time is Antiquity, it will be more about rome&greece&egypt.

So, what do you think?

Now I am planing to make 490BC:Battle of Marathon between Athens and Persian Empire (maybe including Pheidippides run to athens)

next possible themes
480BC:Battle at Thermopyl (i didnt see 300 yet so i will not be affected)
1183BC:Trojan war (ok, maybe it was not real, but it will have its horse and things)

and so on, maybe caesar vs Vercingetorix in gallic wars, or defeat of Maurs by Charles Martel in 732AD, Alexander The Great wars and so on.

Level 14
Well, as Mechanical said, if you're going to do something like this maybe a playable map would be better. A campaign.

On a side note I think that antiquity has been over used, especially since 300 came out, not just in maps but as an idea in general. Now, making it about Napoleon or maybe the American Revolution, the civil wars all across Europe, that would be something more interesting, at least in my book.

Level 12
Waterloo or Austerlitz are interesting themes, of course, but wc3 is based on middle-age and it is so. (i know there are some musketiers models, but thats still not enought, canons, horses, and etc etc.)

I dont want a playable maps, at least, not now. I will make marathon and then i will decide if i will continue or not.

Level 12
My other project is paused for a while. The intro will be done in few days, arround 12 minutes.

I am writing my dramatic play these days, it takes lots of time and school also.

Dark age-i dont know, maybe byzantine empire vs Vandals or vs Gots in Italy. Era of Justinian cca 530 AD.

Edit: probably, I will use mostly models from wc3 for hoplites&others like footman,knights etc.

In some roman battle I will try to find out how to make Testudo

Last edited:
What about your other project?

And if history of renaissance and imperial isn't suitable due tot he lack of model. Then I suggest a history base on Dark Age.

What u mean, my project which is on hold, because now working on another one, the models are not a problem. Look for example my Battle of Fornovo.

Level 12
thats not very suitable for napoleonic wars, really, it seems like 16century when spain conquered Latin America (however, thats very challenging theme, terrain aztecs and mayan pyramids is hard work)

I just have idea, the speech of all units will be in their original language, but only if it can be done. (i dont want anybody to learn ancient egyptian or mayanish) Of course with english subtitles, it will be not hard to find some greek (ok, maybe ancient greek was different then now), I know Latin myself and other like french&english&arabic are modern languages.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
This will be very, very hard. I suggest you to make a Medieval battle, like Frenchs x Saracens in the Battle of Poitiers (700 something). Or battles between the German states. Another good battle is the invasion of Constantinople by the Otomans in 1453. With some really Epic walls. That would be good.

Level 13
do every war/battle since 0AD or older if you can find older battles, if your going to do Historical battles
put them in order from whatever to the war in iraq (not jokeing)
i know it would take a long time, but really theres already a game called "Age of Empires"
that has some of the battles and wars. so dont be picky. get whatever info you can and start right from the start of everytime instead of jumping around a few thousand years between videos.
But its up to you.

Level 4
I would not suggest to do the battle of thermopylae since its been overdone so much. If you like battles of classical antiquity then maybe do the battles: Kadesh (Pharaoh Ramesses II), Issus (Alexander), Lake Trasimene (Hannibal), Cannae (Hannibal), Pharsalus (Caesar), and the Teutoberg Forest (Varus). These ones are significant battles and have not been overdone even though the battles of Teutoberg Forest and Issus are in the Total War series.

Level 14
You should do both the twilight lord's war, and War of the roses because both deal with historical battles of england. Then do the famous battle of 300. Finally end with Henry the fifth's great battle

Level 5
Then do the famous battle of 300.

He said he might do Thermopylae, just if it's historical it can't be based on 300 XD.. the film embellished thermopylae a large amount, there were 300 spartans but also a few thousand other greeks and the Persians had about 200,000 troops... with no 10ft tall mutant o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.