• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Progress Updates/Showoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Been working on the new regions, almost halfway there. A little finishing work on a couple of these. 4 more general regions to go, and then some dungeons to make!

Attachments

• Terrain 076.jpg
    Terrain 076.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 877
  • Terrain 075.jpg
    Terrain 075.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 838
  • Terrain 074.jpg
    Terrain 074.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 758
  • Terrain 073.jpg
    Terrain 073.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 607
  • Terrain 072.jpg
    Terrain 072.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 714
  • Terrain 071.jpg
    Terrain 071.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 710
  • Terrain 070.jpg
    Terrain 070.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 593
  • Terrain 069.jpg
    Terrain 069.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 732
  • Terrain 068.jpg
    Terrain 068.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 753
Level 7
Part 3: Almost part 4. Dungeons 5 and 6 are complete, and have been tested. Considered my best work so far. Dungeon 7 is made; and the abilities for units are currently being designed.
A few more regions fleshed out. The only incomplete regions/creeps are the bottom left and right corners of the map; which represent the final dungeons. Still trying to think of an interesting way to implement it; since it is the end of the game.
This is all more than just terrain and placing units; since triggers control most things, I had to include everything into the trigger system; update the map in game, and all of the handling bits.

When the zoning/dungeons are 100% done, I will update again with the final screenshots.
currently, just to path through the entire map (all of the regions) it takes a solid 90 minutes.

Attachments

• Terrain 008.jpg
    Terrain 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
  • Terrain 006.jpg
    Terrain 006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 369
  • Terrain 004.jpg
    Terrain 004.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Terrain 003.jpg
    Terrain 003.jpg
    922.2 KB · Views: 310
Level 7
Last 3 dungeons. The first picture is of the final dungeon. Scale doesn't really give it justice; it is nearly twice the size of any other dungeon.

Dungeon 7 is complete and tested, dungeon 8 is complete and partially tested. Dungeon 9 unit abils are designed, but not made. d10 needs units designed still.
Dungeons get more difficult as they go; in terms of difficulty, not just higher numbers. teams have to work better together, and plan their attempts better.

60 quests have been added to the game; and as these dungeons are finished; another 15 or so quests are planned out.

Most of the final tier heroes have been designed; and once dungeons and quests are complete, the heroes will be created and private testing will be started. I'll update again once that point is reached, with my next set of goals.

Attachments

• Terrain 014.jpg
    Terrain 014.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Terrain 018.jpg
    Terrain 018.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Terrain 019.jpg
    Terrain 019.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 246
Level 7
Alright, been a little bit since I've given an update, and this one is gonna be... As good as I can remember.

Dungeon 9 and 10 are complete; but 10 still isn't balance (Crippling imbalance) tested.
All of the quests (140) are complete; including about 15 end game quests; and about 20 quests filtered back below level 35 content.
The story line is complete. Overall, I feel as though it brings the whole game together and answers any questions players might have.
An ending cinematic has been added, for when a team with a player completing the quest for the final dungeon, hits that mark.
Stat point purchases have been reworked, to increase the number of stats gained per purchase as upgrades are purchased; and to further increase the total number of stat points. Totals are increasing from 200, to ~420.
Players will now be able to reset their stat allocations for FREE! However, they will lose all stat purchases, and have to re-buy all of their stat levels. :Evil Grin:
Increased performance within triggers related to very frequently firing events. None were bad at all; but some were frequently running during peak times. I haven't tested the in-game results yet, but the trigger debugger thinks I did a fine job.
The beastmaster system has been mostly created. I still need to create monsters for him though.
The system for spawning heroic world bosses has been added and tested; but I still need to create heroic forms of the 35 world bosses.
The Glyph system has been added and tested; but I still need to create all ~300 of the glyph upgrade modifiers.
The glyph vendor has been added.
The rarities vendor from crossroads now has a quest line that leads up him opening up shop.
Hearthstone and mount systems added, unlocked through quests, and upgrades are available for it.
The dungeon stat screen now also displayed total, un-reduced damage taken and dealt; along with the actual values.
Purgatory has been reworked a little to be more rewarding; and to occasionally spawn bosses.
A new command panel UI has been commissioned, and added to the game. Similar to the normal AI, but allowing for additional playable view.
Game world map has been greatly improved, and updated.

There have been a bunch of smaller things as well; that I cannot recall off the top of my head. But I am getting a lot of the framework updated to handle the new version. I have a few more small projects to wrap up; then I will be starting on the heroes, an the glyphs. at which point a private beta will start for testing. Prolly a month from now. I will be back when they are done!

Level 7
A short update, but a massive undertaking.

I have finally finished all of the final heroes. 15 heroes, 10 abilities each, 150 total abilities. Each hero has 2 ways to reach it's final form, granting a greater variety in hero customization. The intention is that not all skills be be equally viable for all builds; but that specific builds will be designed around specific skills. Each hero has 2-3 distinct build possibilities.

I will now be working on Glyph mods; ~300 unique customizations to the 150 skills (2 per).

Attachments

• Heroes.jpg
    Heroes.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Level 7
Alright! Back already! Some stay-at-home time is getting me moving ahead. Glyphs are complete. 300 unique upgrades, which spawn on a specific item type. Each item rarity increase the mod count by 1; with rare glyphs having 1 mod, and twilight glyphs having 4 mods. Attached is a screenshot of a twilight (highest) glyph. The mods are randomly assigned; and there are no duplicates on an item; but each glyph will only spawn mods for a single hero type; which are color coded. There is an additional item type and slot, called a "lucky charm" which is more rare, and can spawn any normal item mod; and can also spawn any single glyph mod. With the combination of these items, you can have 2 of the same mod. they are not available until the base story has been completed.

The bank has been re-designed to run faster, and have greatly increased protection. And with that; private testing has started! If anyone is interested in being a private tester, they can contact me on my discord, where I am taking applications. Otherwise, expect 3 weeks or so until the game is released. There is still a lot of work to do; but the game is 95% complete.

Ill be back with some statistics, as the testers start to hit the end of the story-line.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 261
Level 7
Don't ask me why but this reminds me very much of Tibia, makes me think of the times when I was mapping on my OT server. It's something about the spawns. Did you ever play Tibia?

Level 7
Tibia, never heard of it. I did just google it though; and surprised I have never heard of it, given how old of a game it was. I must have been too into Diablo II back then.

Strongly inspired by the "classic" rpg styles of wc3 custom RPG games (Sc2 has none that would make it into the top 10) The Black Road being my initial inspiration. I felt that they were all lacking in quality hero progression/customization; which is my directive, "Make players feel strongly connected to their heroes and choices." And that they were all lacking interesting party and boss mechanics. This has turned into a much larger project than I had ever planned for it to be; but I have it summed up pretty well: "A cross between Diablo II and World of Warcraft, made with wc3 art and styling, in the Starcraft II engine, and inspired by 20 years of playing Blizzard games."

Level 7
Alright, things are finally getting wrapped up around here! The testers have been excessively playing the game; dozens/hundreds of bugs and imbalances found and worked on. I'm extremely grateful for their hard work. In the past month, I had added Raid bosses to the game (8-10 man global events) as well as another bossing system intended for solo progression. Achievements have been added, better statistics tracking, a lot of balance work; legendary dungeons have been added. A lot of the end game content.

Some statistics from the Testers:
About 30-40 hours to beat the game on a first playthrough.
About 12 hours for a clean speed run.
About 7-8 hours for a speed-run using gear/gold from stash.
To do everything in the game "once" on a single hero should take around 150-200 hours played.
Can have over 10 active quests at once (Quest log size had to be increased).
At no point are you required to "stop and farm" to keep up with quest progress.
All heroes have multiple, viable ways to be played, even on the hardest content.
You can complete the hardest content, with average-below average gear that you will find before ever reaching that content. (The goal being that content isnt gated behind RNG loot).
A bunch of the testers have Hundreds of hours played, and the ability to roll heroes and items however they like (cheats) and they still haven't played all of the content.

Game should be released within a week! Aiming for this weekend, but I may hold off.

A few more videos of Raid testing (Newest to Oldest):

Level 7
Alright guys, today is the day! My last minute preparations include an achievement system which awards a unique currency, and a "Microtransaction" type shop, where players can buy graphics with the "achievement points" so that they can show off that they have done some cool things.

At some point today (4/30) the map will be up on all servers, under "The Cave - RPG" You can start the game in "tutorial mode" to play a little 20 minute version of the first 4 hours of the game; to get a feel for what the game is about; and decide if it is worth the time dump.

I know a lot of the people who view this aren't SC2 players; but my hope is that you all give it a shot. I have done my very best to embody the feel of Warcraft III RPGs. Starcraft II is completely free to download from blizzard, and the arcade is free, and this game is free. I really hope that you guys check it out.

Level 7
As all the threads here slowly lock themselves for inactivity... I've still been busy with balance and QoL improvements. As they slowly come to a safe and stable point, and as the more active players are breaking the 1000 hour point; I have been planning some additional content for them. I have left 1 region blank in the map, which will be for a unique end-game dungeon. We have also discussed Hardcore dungeons, where a player cannot re-enter if they die or leave, and "Heroic" raid bosses. Just a bunch of super over-tuned stuff that can put the best players with the best gear, in a really challenging spot.

For anyone who has followed the progress, but not played; it has consistently been in the top 5 on NA and EU, occasionally dipping, and hitting #2 other times. Really proud that such a "Niche" game by sc2 arcade standards has done so well. The community has slowly been picking up Diablo 2/3 and WoW players; so if sc2 just isn't your thing; this doesn't feel like sc2; you should give it a shot!

I'll be back when the new updates are complete!

Level 7
Alright, I know it has been a while of radio static (Busy life events, and relaxing after editing for so many years). The final dungeon and hardcore, elitist-only content should be out within a few months; completely wrapping up my involvement with this specific map! Lotta balance changes over the past couple of months; but they have left us on a spot where all heroes have multiple builds, and all of those builds and heroes are equally viable for all content. This has always been my goal to work towards; removing "meta-build" concepts; and it is a constantly improving concept; but it is in a really good place right now.

I have been discussing design concepts for a "cave 2" which is more of a prequel, from the perspective of the "Demon" side of the game; with a lot more hero customization, and a few other twists that will make the game truly unique; while feeling familliar; and connecting the stories of the game with nostalgia! Once progress starts on that; I will do a big write-up and drop it off; but I plan to spend a couple more months drawing it out, and deciding if I have the time and effort to do it all.

Level 23
Just out of curiosity Glorn, would you ever consider making a project in Wc3? This kind of map you are making is exactly the thing lots of Wc3 players would go crazy for. Regardless, good luck with your project.

Level 7
When I first started the project, 6 years ago, it was a consideration. I had spent a lot of time in the WC3 editor. Overall, a lot of the systems I had to create for this RPG would have been much harder to create; and when I started, SC2 arcade still had a lot of players. In todays era, I wouldn't spend so much time creating such a game on either WC3 or SC2; the player-base just isn't available to support such a team-oriented game. I grateful to have an involved community to keep the ball rolling as long as it has. Since I have all of this framework made; mostly, 400-500 custom abilities with AI, spawning, questing, item handling, bank saving, statistics saving...ect, I am gonna save myself 80% of the work required to make a prequel to this game.

Really, I was hoping that with my wc3 art styling, mechanics, and gameplay design, that more WC3 players would take the time to download sc2 *for free* and check the game out; but I don't feel there have been half as many players as I had initially expected.

Level 7
The Cave is officially 100% complete! All future creep is done and over with!
I had saved 1 region worth of space; because I wanted to make something special for the long-time players. This ended up becoming a dungeon which spawns randomly weighed enemies from anywhere in the game at the hardest difficulty scale; so teams cant practice specific pulls or bosses. When completed, an entire set of raid bosses spawn across the map; based on community leaders from the game. I got with a handful of the long-time players, and we designed bosses based on their favorite heroes and play styles which are extremely difficult.

It was a lot of fun working on this project, and the community around it has been amazing! I hope my next project can be as impactful as this one was!

Status
Not open for further replies.