• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

program information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hay im looking into getting into the art aspect of video games, more directly the CH design.

im a fair artist and can draw some nice warriors/knights and im going to be taking a collage course in a few months.

can any one tell me what artistic programs are used in general to do this, i only want to try and get a heads up on what i might be working with.

ie: 3d max, maya or what ever.

what program was used to make the guys for WC3 diablo or even SC, was it 3d max or some thing else?

i hope some one can give me some sort of a hint or some thing.

Level 45
1. Sc, the units and such are sprites, the model of the sprites were made in max, same with diablo 1-2.

2. Warcraft models 3 were also made in max.

3.And for artistic programs go to the art section, for the 3d programs go to the model and animation section.

4. max=$3000, Dont bother asking for a free/illegal max or such you will have to do that yourself. Wc3 only works with max 4.2 and 5, gmax is the game model creation version of max which is free but has horrible plugins for max.

5.And it depends what game you want to working or will be, there are many plugins and exporters on the net.

Level 3
hay thanks, are there any other programs that are used to create guys ect for games, reguardless of who.

are there any other programs that can be used?

Werewulf said:
Sc, the units and such are sprites, the model of the sprites were made in max, same with diablo 1-2

So, you mean that the units' graphical image in Starcraft are actually models, which were then taken snapshots from different angles?

Because older Comand&Conquer games (ex. Tiberian sun) have their units' graphic images stored as .shp which is 2d graphical format.

Level 3
lol i almost forgot about this threat.

ya i want to create the guys ect for video games, so far i mostly do warriors, tanks, jets and a few space battle ships (on paper) thou my warriors ... lets just say that by there looks ... even Diablo him self would RUN! AND NEVER LOOK BACK ;)

but that doesnt mean i dont have a few ideas for games :)

Status
Not open for further replies.