• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with fountain's mana regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically speaking, that would be the case. However, there are several factors at play such as innate mana regeneration, initial amount of mana, mana regeneration boosting items, mana draining, etc. All of these factors would play a role in jeopardizing your observations.

Consider a parabola y = a((x - h)*(x - h)) + k wherein h and k are the abscissa and the ordinate of the vertex of the parabola respectively. Now, for x == h, y = k. The value of y at that moment is k.

Going back to the problem, assume that the amount of mana is 0 at Time Zero, with a regeneration rate of 3 mana per second. At Time One, the amount of mana suddenly goes up to 78, with the regeneration rate having been maintained. At Time Two, the amount of mana becomes 84, with the regeneration rate having gone up to 6 mana per second.

Theoretically speaking, mana at Time Zero would be 0, mana at Time One would be 3, and mana at Time Two would be 6. This theoretical scenario assumes that the rate of change is constant, which it rarely is, if ever.

EDIT:

I looked at the map. Didn't need to test it as the units themselves already had an initial amount of mana.

It could be because of the continuous re-approximation of mana done by the system. Think of interest compounded continuously. Think of it as having different mana regeneration rates per instant.

EDIT:

With what has been said and done, I forgot that the mana regeneration provided by the fountain is hardcoded, that is, the increase in mana regeneration will not happen until after 1 - 2 seconds of being close to the fountain.

Level 6
I dont think the rate compounded, because Blizzard says total mana. Not current mana.

approximately 52 secs for original fountain (1%) to regenerate full mana.
approximately 27 secs for edited fountain (2%) to regenerate full mana.

The fountain regenerates about 50% faster for no reason.

Level 16
Interesting, that means all abilities using that mana regeneration aura will do the same, does anyone know if this is the case with unholy aura?

Level 21
That's right, it's about twice as fast, due to unknown reasons.

Mana regeneration neutral 0,5 equals 1 mana per second when percentage flag is off as well.

That's right, it's about twice as fast, due to unknown reasons.

Mana regeneration neutral 0,5 equals 1 mana per second when percentage flag is off as well.

Well my Guess for that doubled regeneration is a tactical balacing reason from Blizzard and no bug.
It benefits staying inside the Fountain without making it useless for running in and out.

Gamesituation observation:
  1. The Regeneration grows over 1 or 2 seconds to the doubled amount of the value insert into Object Editor. Even if you just look at the MP Number you can see a acceleration in this first 2 seconds.
  2. If moved out of the Fortain the Regeneration keeps for ca 2 seconds with the Value insert in Object Editor.
  3. Or it keeps for 3 or 4 seconds but the unit loses after 2 or 1 seonds half the regeneration gained by the fountain.
  4. The Doubling apperead in fix and % regeneration.
  5. On some situations a trippled regeneration was observed but that might be a result of only testing with a frequenz of 2.
Conclusion: Each fountain grants 2 stacks of Regeneration with ca 2 second grow/duration time. If moved in and out the benefit is lower from the fountain but there is still is one. in the other hand staying inside gives you both regeneration stacks -> more Regeneration.

• Count Periodic
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Mana of Priester 0000 <gen>) - Last_Mana) Greater as 0.01
        • Then - Actions
          • Spiel - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (MP regg freq 2: + (String(((Mana of Priester 0000 <gen>) - Last_Mana))))
        • Else - Actions
      • Set Last_Mana = (Mana of Priester 0000 <gen>)

Edit: Don't forget for what purpose Blizzard created the default skills. Fountain's are in melee games powerful locations which you can't stay long cause everyone is visiting them.

Edit:
Interesting, that means all abilities using that mana regeneration aura will do the same, does anyone know if this is the case with unholy aura?
I just tested Briliance (Archmage-Aura) and Unholy-Aura (Death knight) they work fine (except on Skilling if the Fix /( % of max) mod is switched than the regeneration becomes quite troublesome From % -> fix instant heal; fix -> % no change in my test until unit regained the buff).
After all They have to according to my Theory that for fountain this double Regeneration is all part of Blizzards wanted features.

Attachments

• WorldEditTestMap.w3x
    17.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.