• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Potential Third Person Shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
[Edit]: I'm pulling this project until I can get the game mechanics down pat. If you want to view my progress so far, go here: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1239420#post1239420

I'm looking for people to join a massive project. I have a large portion of the gameplay design figured out, but its all ifs and maybes at this point. This means that anybody willing to join in the effort has a chance to present their own design ideas and contribute to the project in a creative way.

What I'm proposing is a third person shooter. If for any reason a third person shooter is deemed impossible than the simple Starcraft control scheme could suffice (obiously a lot would be changed though).

Players (yes playerS, it's co-op) will struggle to fight their way through a campaign. How long the campaign will be and how many missions will be created for it is entirely unknown at this point, but I do have a rough outline of the story: Earth is at war with an alien race (the protoss), which use strange creatures that are native to their homeworlds (zerg) to fight. The players' crews have been assigned to a scouting mission, in which they must survey an enemy homeworld up close. The scouting ships are blasted out of the air and your characters (the only survivors) struggle to reestablish radio contact and escape alive. At the end of the campaign they all make it home (YAY!) after dealing a devestating blow to their intergalactic adversaries.

That's it for now. Simple, I know, but I've been focussing much more on the gameplay side of things. Players each control a squad of four units. The AI controls three at any given time, but the user can switch between squad mates whenever he/she chooses. Upon entry into a given level, players recreate four fighters of their choice by selecting role, equipment, weaponry, etc; to start with. There is a level based unlock system too, so there will always be something new to work towards.

As for the feel of the combat, I imagine it to be something like the Gears of War franchise, with a heavy emphasis on cover. Obviously we want less gore and will have more simplistic graphics, but I imagine the feel of the game to be something like that.

There are fifty weapons (more to be added), seven roles, tons of extra equipment, vehicles, and a plethora of enemies. Save/Load codes will allow users to unlock weapons at a slow, but rewarding pace, without punishing them for not playing the whole campaign in a single sitting.

If you are at all interested, please look at the word document I've attached below. It has a much more detailed (though still rough!) design layout within, essentially going into more detail on what I've already covered. All weapons, abilities, and roles are already fully developed (though subject to change) and listed in there. I also have a rough estimate as to the insane amount of animations we'll need on the units under our control.

If, after looking at that, you are interested in lending a hand, please feel free to post here. Let me/us know when you can start (beta users can already get going :)) and what job you feel you can do. As I said above, since I'm hardly an 'organized' person and I don't have access to the beta, it would be nice if somebody who's organized a large project before could step up to the plate and manage things.

I believe our first priority will be getting the basic gameplay mechanics down. Starcraft II is not designed as a third person shooter, so our first job is seeing if its possible to turn it into one. Aiming, shooting, camera movements, and using cover all have to be established before anything else can happen. This is what I will be working on.

Modelers could also get started on rough models for the editor users to use as stand-ins. The number of animations required for the controllable characters is nothing short of insane, so we'll need quite the group of animators.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Wingednosering

Last edited:
Level 9
Just download the client, u cant play online but u can test ur maps and make maps all day son.

Status
Not open for further replies.