• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ponds

Ponds

Description:

Two Mur'gul-clans battle eachother about the two basins in this area. Constant battles around the little ressources between the variety of creeps may disturb your peace here.

Creators note:

My intention was to create a balanced map. If i succeeded is up to you to decide.

Ponds Version 1.2

Changelog:

- removed creepcamp from 20k Mine in corners, moved the mines more towards the mid and moved redcamp there.
- some visual improvements
- worked on creeps aggro range on some camps
- changed amount of goldmines (naturals give 12000, the other ones give 20k now)

Ponds Version 1.3

Changelog:

- Changed items on 4-1-1-1 Camp to be Permanent Lvl1 + powerup lvl1
- some visual improvements
- added few more ponds, visual upgrades
-

Ponds Version 1.4

Changelog:

- Changed % item on 4-1-1-1 Camp to be Permanent 100%
- some visual improvements/got rid of most of the wisp spots

Previews
Contents

Ponds (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Approved based on the results of the recent melee mapping contest: Hive Cup 2020: Melee Mapping Contest #6 - Results While there are several legitimate points of criticism /suggestion for improvement by the judges, I still don't think it is a "bad"...
Level 4
Keypoints about the map:

- 2 redcamps what no melee map so far provides
- one red murloc camp what no melee map so far provides
- unique feature which blocks a path (at day) with a red camp
- familiar creepcamps except one red camp, you get used to the map quickly
- more camps in general, than the usual melee maps offer

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Ok, this map has some good stuff going, but imho there is some room for improvement:
-There are some large flat areas, which could visually benefit from some use of the raise/lower/smooth tools.
-Having 8 level 2 permanent items seems like a lot. Maybe one could be changed. In particular, I'd reconsider the drop at the 4-1-1-1-1 kobolds. While TS_LV disagrees, I think lvl 2 items should be reserverd for lvl 8+ creepcamps. For example, how about a lvl 1 permanent + lvl1/2 powerup instead?
-I get that the Murloc camp and its placement is a feature, still I dont like its location. I imagine a situation where a hu fastexpands and an ud/pressure the expansion. It's very likely that the ud/ne reinforcements would walk past this camp and gettt attacked.
-Runes of the watcher in such central locations.... From my experience watcher wards are a controversial topic in general, so I'm doubtful that they would be welcomed here. Possibly the merc camps would be a better place for them.
-At least one of the creeps at the lategame expansion should not sleep.
-There is minor bug at one of the ramps:
upload_2020-8-24_20-47-26.png
The tiles marked in red are unwalkable. This sometimes happens when ramps are changed too often, in particular when they are leading into shallow water. To make this less likely to happen, raise the nearby terrain out of the water, create the ramp, and the lower everything back into the water.
-There are countless "untouchable" wisp locations. See here for explanation: Last Snow Forests should be placed only with the size 2 circular tool, and new trees should align perfectly with exisiting trees. It's horribly tedious, but afaik there is no better way to do it.

What I particular like is the fact that this map avoids the trap of putting too many creepcamps towards on the edges of the map. There are also a lot of options (what to creep) right from the start. And apart from the examples above, the itemdrops look good.

Level 4
Thanks for you great feedback @mafe !

Ill consider the changed and deliver in time for the contest.

About the Trees, I think its a great thing to have for a map at some key locations. I dont want to have too many. If theres a way to find out how to find out that a location is a wisp hiding spot, let me know pls.
Same with the lower and do a cliff and stuff to get rid of the minor bug at the ramp ... I have no idea how to that. :(

Level 26
Thanks for you great feedback @mafe !
Same with the lower and do a cliff and stuff to get rid of the minor bug at the ramp ... I have no idea how to that. :(

For me I did make it in the same level(as the upper one) and remake that ramp again. Maybe this could help. If it wasn't the tool that make a terrain fluctuate at the same level of the sea there is no problem.

Its a Nice map, I'd suggest adding some more smaller 'ponds' closer too the players bases I barely notice them while playing. balance wise feels really open on the expansions maybe it favours orcs abit too much, some blizzard maps do already so this though so its not a major deal. shrink the red camps and add more ponds. Also agree with mafe that theres alot of flat areas maybe just use the randomise and smooth tool alot. Fix those things and it wouldn't feel too out of place in a regular map pool.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So you fixed the ramp bug :) but now there is a deep water area at the foot of the ramp, which might not be unintentional? If yes, you can now simply raise the terrin there to remove it.

About the modified item table with crown of kings: I get that you are more or less doing what Autumn Leaves is doing? However, last time I checked the gold value of the crown was changed there to be the same as the lvl 5 permanent items. Which would be against the contest rules, as it would cause "melee map: no". Not sure how to deal with this.

One the kobolds where you changed the item drop only has a 50% drop chance for one of his items now.

Unfortunately I dont think there is an easy way to spot the "safe wisp" trees. But imho it is deemed an important isue since in one of the "recent" patches, blizzard actually removed such spots from existing ladder maps.

Level 29
If I dont making any mistake by looking the screen, the 2 shops in the center, I think they are to near, each, perhaps, try to change access orientation??

you have to put in the description, or somewhere, that this a contest entry, thats why so far, still doesnt have the contest entry tag.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Approved based on the results of the recent melee mapping contest: Hive Cup 2020: Melee Mapping Contest #6 - Results

While there are several legitimate points of criticism /suggestion for improvement by the judges, I still don't think it is a "bad" map. I guess the size really might be an issue though...

About the "noise" tool: Just after using it, also use "smooth" on the same terrain, so that there terrain is not entirely flat, but not too uneven either".