• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I make good looking ponds, without the use of ramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Backstory, my friend and I have decided to makea farming map, we have many ideas for it, some of which, to our knowledge, have never been implemented before.

Anyway, in the farming map Farmers of Teren Valley, there are plants that only grow in ponds. The mapmaker has places ponds that are almost on the level of the other terrain, only slightly lower, the only way I know how to make this effect, is to create the map out of fully shllow water, and raise it.

I hope there is an easier way, and if you've played Farmers of Teren Valley you may be able to better understand what I'm talking about. We want to have several plants, along with possible a type of animal that only grow in ponds, but we want the ponds to look good, while not sitting in a great depression.

Level 24
Well first off, do you mean raising the cliff height or applying terrain height? In a map that I have called Open RPG Islands Ver the islands just rise out of the water by use of terrain height. It doesn't require cliffs at all and if you mess around with terrain height in an area enough, you can set it to shallow water and it won't actually become shallow water, but it will even out, and you will be able to lower it to make it into shallow water. You can do that on the ramps that lead up to the bases in the Blizzard map Twisted Meadows. It won't actually make the ramps shallow water, but it smooths them out like plateau does. :D

Level 40
here is a step-by-step explanation of how to do it

A) Go to the Advanced Menu

B) if there is a Check-Mark beside Enforce Water Height Limits, click on it

C) Close the Advanced menu

D) make Deep Water where you wish your pond to be

E) cover that over with land again. do NOT do this by using Undo

F) Use the Lower Terrain tool to lower the terrain to approximatly the height of the Deep Water Where you put the deep water

G) make the terrain under the water into dirt, or something else that looks good

H) if there are any squarish edges at the sides of the pond, raise them using the Raise tool until they are naturally rounded

I) Have Fun :D

Level 2
Thank you, sorry about not replaying yesterday, there was a storm, and well, y'know......

Also, in an unfortunate turn of events, the map has been postponed, possibly even cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.