• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Please teach me how to model :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Ok, I have looked through many many modeling tutorials and none of them work for me. I am asking someone not make a tutorial, but teach me how to model. Give me the steps, and if I don't get something I will ask a question. Please, I need to learn how to model. There are so many things I want to make for my map(s) and for the hive.

P.S.

I AM NOT ASKING FOR SOMEONE TO LINK ME A MODELING TUTORIAL, IF YOU LINK ME A MODELING TUTORIAL I WILL FACEROLL YOU

And of course I will rep if I learn :p

3d modeling is quite simple, I prefer to use milkshape over 3dsmax, I have both lol, but max has too many hotkeys its like /headache

and in milkshape you can easily place vertex points which is a big plus :D

Vertex Points: Points in space which make up a 3d face/ object.

First off, get a picture of what you are going to make, or if your a free hander, like me, get an image in your head of what you're going to create.

I'll just make a basic sword for example. I sugjest making half of the object at a time, it looks better this way and its quite easier to texture.

So my first step in doing this is to place my vertex points in the right spots.

attachment.php

Notice the Vertex points in the middle. These are what are going to define your sword and make it 3d. But first, lets add faces to your model.

Select the face tool (Button that says "Face")

Now select the vertex points you are making a face with in a COUNTER clockwise Triangular rotation, so if its a equal lateral triangle with the face up you would go top Vertex Point(VP), left VP, and then right VP.

Should look something like this:

attachment.php

Now fill in the rest of your faces.

The next step is to add demention to your model!

Select the middle vertex points, or any vertex point that needs to be brought out towards you. and simply drag it out on the screen that has a top view. If your faces look black, then you will either need to drag it the other way, or reverse your vertex order. Counter clockwise is very important.

attachment.php

Now to texture! To add texture you will need to either make an image like 128 x 128 or 64 x 64, multiples of 4. Select the selection tool, and select faces, so now you are selecting faces instead of vertex points. select all the faces thaty ou want to have this texture, and go to groups and select regroup. Then go to matterials, and add a material, click the browse, and find your texture, and then assign the matterial to your group. Go to Windows>Texture Coordinate Editor, or press Cntrl + T this will show the texture you just added in a new window press remap. now you will see all the vertex points you have made that are assinged to this texture. Align the points to match the texture and then your done texturing!

Now back to the model making lol...

Select All, and press Cntrl + D, to duplicate then go to Vertex> Mirror right.
now you will notice your model looks a little more complete. (Cntrl +N and then Cntrl + W)snap and Weld all the middle vertex points together. Then Select All Cntrl + D and mirror it back. Go to your selection tool, and select vertexes, and make sure the ignore back vertex points box isn't checked. Now select all the points arount the edges and weld them together. And your done, be proud of your project. Export> Warcraft III.

Attachments

• Step1VP.JPG
    Step1VP.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 425
  • Step2Faces.JPG
    Step2Faces.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Step3PO.JPG
    Step3PO.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 445
it helps to know the basics...
a point is a single place.. (vertex)
a line is 2 points
a plane requires atleast 3 points (face's/triangles)
a shape is a collection of planes (geoset/mesh)

Lines, and points are non-existant in the real world, and planes are to (technically)

If you look at a model, it is actually hollow on the inside, and thusforth couldnot exist In real life, however it from the outside (because thats the direction the planes are 'rendered' the model is viewable

The reason you select in counterclockwise is to tell the program that the plane facing you currently should be the facing direction
if you selected clockwise, it would be visible from the other side, but invisible from your current side...
although you can make materials 2sided, i can discuss that later (and once you get the model to .mdl format) as im not to familiar with any 'real' modeling programs

Level 20
You could use milkshape and use Spheres and boxes, but it will take alot of polies, and on the windows you select the vertexes to move and just move them, dat simple :D

As for wrapping, you go to Groups or something, select the group of the item you want to texture, go to Material, make new and assign, import the image you want to texture (use Warcraft 3 viewer to get ingame textures. Then you Press Ctrl-T, press "Remap" and then you scale it and move to where you want to use the texture.

lets start out with war3modeleditor... open a pre-existing model
then go to window/modeleditor
there you should see a buncha dots and lines..
you can change parts with translations from there...
then check back in the first window (with your model) to check out your changes...
once you grasp a few concepts like 3d on a 2d screen, ill get back to ya XD

Level 22
Via illegal ways, that can be punished hard if they get you.
We aren't allowed to talk about such things here.

Yeah, he'll go to prison if they get him.... Seriously people stop this bullshit, change the way you say it, it sounds as if 1st minute from donwload and the Police rings on the bell, cuffs him and there he goes - in prison! How many of you do you actually have ALL programs purchased? Maybe you don't have that many programs. + There are the alternatives, example - freeware GIMP intsead of Photoshop for your textures.

What is meant is - it is a paid program, either do like a good guy and pay for your program or get it on the net from the various websites that cannot be linked here due to THW terms (NOTE: Rapidshare, Megaupload and others may have viruses on your Setup file so go with the official website, see?). Sometimes you really need to google thinks yourself. I don't think anyone will google for you all the time ...

If you will do models also in SC2 you may want to move to gmax or 3ds max or start with them. But again - I still dont get it what the problem will be to make any model in Milkshape and then just import it into gmax or another if animations will be used. (for SC2). Better - if an importer/exporter for SC2 is made for MS3d, what will be so big of a deal not to cr8 models with ms3d, now dont wanna talk about SC2 here.

Last edited:
Level 19
this thread is great :D
we should probably all go there http://chat.hiveworkshop.com/?channel=1 and share experience
I just started modeling too (with the programm "anim8or" which is quite easy to use and super small and portable and stuff)
unfortunately I am unable to glue the different faces together
all the points are exactly above each other but I think this will consume more file size or smthn
is there anyone who's experienced with this tool or able to tell me how to do that anyway?
thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.