• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pirating the Piratey Software... YAAAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Aha... So... You will bow to any law?

Why waste money in these damn econimcal problematic times, if you can get stuff for free... Dude... All prices are like... TRIPLED! In these times. But okay... Go buy stuff, also note that ONE man didn't make a movie or game, groups of people made. And it's not my fault that there ain't Anti-Piracy protections for their products...

So, because I believe people should recieve conpensation for their work, that automatically makes me a 'law-bower'? (lol'd while writing that part) No, it doesnt. And you should've read the part where I said "If you cant afford it, save up, or just dotn get it". By your logic, every time the economy hits a speedbump a lil' too fast, its okay to break the law to better your own standing, probably at the loss of someone else's. Welcome to the United States of Anarchy.

Level 10
Erm... World is dying cause it's resources are lowering, if there wouldn't be trading, we would dramatically lower world's resources faster. So basically we are living on time bomb, only hope is that we can have tech what allows to occupy other planets for more resources, before freakin american or russian president fights each other with nukes what would destroy entire world.

I'm just curious to know if any of you support pirating, since I wholeheartedly do (it's in my signature and avatar and whatnot), for reasons I will state now:
-We are sharing. Someone legally bought the game, and is sharing his legally bought contents with others.
-We are technically NOT stealing. Someone uploads a file and we download his file. This does not involve mugging or stealing software off of someone; it's "sharing".
-Pirates don't follow rules, so it doesn't matter anyways.
-Pirates are awesome.

Well, there you have my flawless reasoning. Please, share your opinions! I'd love to hear them!

From that point of view...You got a point.

Level 8
No, he doesnt. Is immoral and it IS stealing.

Why does money exist anyway?

Money exists because of two reasons:

1. It replaces the old way of trading, which causes you to lose something you need so you can get something else. With money, you trade away slips of paper, instead of your possessions. And trading does still exist, even in the more civilized parts of the world, like China or America.

2. Without some form of currency, the above stated reason gets out of hand, and causes the economy to crash and burn, more so even than it is now.

Level 10
In fact, I don't think pirating example The Sims 2 shouldn't really hurt author, cause since example we would do anything to get it, we support it by playing it, author would be hurt if you would say "It sux" and etc.

Only thing what pirating may hurt is law and legal economic.

I don't care what you will say, Joss. But main point what I am trying to say is, that you waste your time.

Level 27
You're stealign their paycheck, and the livelihoods of more peope lthan you may care to think
In music anyway, I can assure you, that if there were absolutely no way for me to obtain a song for free, I would not listen.
How would liek to be the humble video game developer, tryign to make a living, and you find out somebody is pirating your hard work?
First, I wouldn't be the fool that demands cash for my crappy work. Especially since copies can be made at literally zero cost. Second, if I did want to make money, I wouldn't be the fool who releases my data to a bunch of people who are just going to make free copies. I would demand just payment before I released anything.
And it's not my fault that there ain't Anti-Piracy protections for their products...
It's their fault the data is out there, but there is no way to make data public and stop people from having their way with it. It is physically impossible to protect data that is open to the public.
I believe people should recieve conpensation for their work,
That'd be nice. Sadly, not everybody is equal and lots of people make totally useless crap. Should we give them money even though they made totally useless crap?

It is not your exclusive right to have money. It is your right, however, to earn money.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It's pretty simple really;

A band would rather have the most people possible listening to their music. If the music is shared for free, then the band gets more listeners. Who gets angry? The record company that is trying to earn money by using a band.

Game studios make games for players, and not mainly to make money - however, if a player wants more games from the same studio, they would need to realize there will be none without income.

The same pretty much applies for software.

Sharing is spreading. The one that shares is not making any profit on it, hence it does not qualify as thievery. However, accepting the offer of the sharer, and downloading the software or music for free, is theft. I've got nothing against sharing in general, however - I find it crude not to support game studios and artists. If everyone downloaded Blizzard's games from the beginning (eg. one guy buys Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, and he puts it up for sharing. Blizzard gets the income for the first batch of games they've delivered to game stores, but the game stores do not get value for their investment and does not order more copies. Blizzard doesn't sell more copies, and depending on how large the first batch was, that's all they get back.. they'd pretty much be screwed over- yet a helluva lot of players are playing their game) then there'd probably be no more games. StarCraft would never exist, nor would Diablo.

Hence I buy my games and I buy the music I like as well (I download it first, find out if I like it, and then buy it whenever it is available) - and I also attend concerts to support bands I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 15
In music anyway, I can assure you, that if there were absolutely no way for me to obtain a song for free, I would not listen.

First, I wouldn't be the fool that demands cash for my crappy work. Especially since copies can be made at literally zero cost. Second, if I did want to make money, I wouldn't be the fool who releases my data to a bunch of people who are just going to make free copies. I would demand just payment before I released anything.

It's their fault the data is out there, but there is no way to make data public and stop people from having their way with it. It is physically impossible to protect data that is open to the public.

That'd be nice. Sadly, not everybody is equal and lots of people make totally useless crap. Should we give them money even though they made totally useless crap?

It is not your exclusive right to have money. It is your right, however, to earn money.

As of right now, Hakeem is totally made of win.

Level 8

If its crap, then why why would you want to pirate it in the first place? o_O

And they dont get money for releasing the game, they get money from selling it to retailers. So, if its bad, they lose sales to retailers, cuz the retailers won't buy anymore. Simple as tat. As said before, check out what happened to Demigod and various other games, and you'll see.

Level 10
Pirate == Downloads music/games/programs

If said pirate would never have bought those things, then him stealing them does not effect the economy, because he wasn't going to give them money anyway. This also spreads the like for the product, and may even convince the pirate to buy the real thing.

Piracy is not bad in this sense.

When people steal things, instead of buying them, OR, steal things and make money off of them, that is bad.

Level 6

There is only one valid excuse for pirating something. And thats the market quality of games not being worth their price, and thats only valid when theres no demo available.

A price tag of 50 bucks is not a guarantee of quality anymore, because the market has become so saturated with garbage games that have little quality (Some only having good graphics) that we use to see in games.

Software pirating is a neccessary evil until the market for software learns its true pricetag and stops over inflating it.

If you make a crap game, you put a low price tag on it, not trump it up and advertise it as a high quality game.

I agree with these lines.
Today, gameplay is overshadowed by graphics and shiny effects that look cool. Personally I prefer to try out a game and if I like it, buy it. This is what I do, and what others do, I can't control.

Status
Not open for further replies.