• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

People who went off the rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
now it is a bit out of place me discussing this subject manner here-but i feel like it needs to be addressed.

I have known a few people who have done what you would call abnormal & bizzare things, but this one person i knew for several years and have thought of as a great individual apparently been harassing his former friends, getting into physical altercations which landed him in a cell, and as has taken a 180 degree turn. not sure what happened but he went from a caring and humble person to what some might call a socialpath. granted I havent had an much contact with him in the last year or so -but now hes a completely different person, i could never figure some things out.....

Level 3
u will be surprized how often this type of thing happens -my observation was this; people who were exremely close (or at least it seemed) in HS turned into enemies in about 6 months or so worth of time

makes you really wonder how fake people are nowadays

Level 7
I believe the amount of people who "go off the rail" highly depends on the community/social group/family they come from/grow up in, I'm sure this can be collaborated by statistics.

Level 5
Firstly the person in question came from a relatively good background as have similar people I knew who also have "changed".

I dont think background has that much to do with this. It's more of a sign of the times we are living in now

Level 5
Look I'm very good at reading people. And I've known the this person for over 2 years and there were no signs of anything of that nature, no red flags or nothing.

I additional to seeing the person about 3 times a week for several months I've also spend about 9 days camping with him. Again he seemed fine.

Now he changed completely

Level 7
Either he became crazy at some point or....drugs might be involved (or you're simply not telling the whole story on here)

Level 5
Either he became crazy at some point or....drugs might be involved (or you're simply not telling the whole story on here)

I have said what I believe to be the whole story, everything that I personally know of the events

Level 5
Sad to say there ain't no reading people. There's just confidence in what your mind projects onto them.

I fully disagree with you, my opinions of people tend to turn out true over 75% of the time, I can read people moods, etc. Reading people btw is not some supernatural ability; it's a common human trait, yes not everyone is good at it, but you get better with practice...if it was just confidence in what your mind projects I would not nearly be right about others as I am so often

Level 7
Look I can speak from the people I know, and the ones who "changed" or "took the wrong road" or anything else like that, well they came from horrible communities/families/social groups. There were a handful of people who were born into a well off family but decided to go into crime for no apparent reason, but some of them could be seen as "snakes" early on and some had "toxic personalities" For instance one individual would instigate fights, punch people without provacation, etc. very early in his life, he might have some sort of mental problems, narcissism? maybe, but most of the people who went off the rail came from bad backgrounds...

Level 5
Why is that when you see someone behaving badly you attribute it to a personality disorder rather than the person's own choice? Narcissism can probably explain away any self centered action that anybody wants justified

Level 7
Ok you may be right, but it doesn't make sense to do things that hurt others while not benefiting you in any way without there being some psychological disturbance

the person I'm talking about here did things like:

walked around with a pocket knife going down the street and slashing every car's tires on it

tried instigating a fight between 2 people over a minor disagreement

succeeded in instigating a fight between 2 people - he did not get anything out of it

beat up some old guy, later came up with an excuse to why he did it -again did not benefit him in any way

tried to get one person to sue his friend over some minor scuffle -the person never sued but this would not benefit him in any way

that's why I think there's some underlying psychological cause to it

Level 5
What you're describing are the actions of an absolute scumbag POS

No mental disorder, just a complete POS

Sad to say there ain't no reading people. There's just confidence in what your mind projects onto them.
There are people who are extremely good at performing psychoanalyses on people and getting insight into their behavioral patterns. By studying behavioral patterns over a long time you will eventually get extremely good at "reading people" if you will call it that.

Of course, this only applies to professionals in fields related to psychology and so on, not to pseudo intellectuals who thinks it's cool to say they are good "people readers".

Level 7
I fully disagree with you, my opinions of people tend to turn out true over 75% of the time, I can read people moods, etc. Reading people btw is not some supernatural ability; it's a common human trait, yes not everyone is good at it, but you get better with practice...if it was just confidence in what your mind projects I would not nearly be right about others as I am so often
I'm sure that's a completely substantiated and verifiable figure. You're most likely only vaguely correct, making educated guesses or not remembering or noticing cases where you were dead wrong. I'm sorry but the mind is naturally prone to a vast number of biases; cognitive, confirmation and selection are only a small fraction of that.

I don't even personally know or mind whether or not you make decent assumptions about your friends, but I sure as hell know I find people who constantly try to push their misguided understanding onto my own problems without me asking worse than leprosy.

"I can tell you're upset because I'm a people person."

"What gave it away, the fact that I said so two minutes ago or that I just punched a hole through this plasterwork while frowning with my whole fucking face?"

Reactions: San
Level 7
There are people who are extremely good at performing psychoanalyses on people and getting insight into their behavioral patterns. By studying behavioral patterns over a long time you will eventually get extremely good at "reading people" if you will call it that.

Of course, this only applies to professionals in fields related to psychology and so on, not to pseudo intellectuals who thinks it's cool to say they are good "people readers".

I agree with this, I believe there was even a scientific study done on people who could determine whether a person was lying or not with great accuracy just by conversing with them for a few minutes

Level 3
I'm sure that's a completely substantiated and verifiable figure. You're most likely only vaguely correct, making educated guesses or not remembering or noticing cases where you were dead wrong. I'm sorry but the mind is naturally prone to a vast number of biases; cognitive, confirmation and selection are only a small fraction of that.

I don't even personally know or mind whether or not you make decent assumptions about your friends, but I sure as hell know I find people who constantly try to push their misguided understanding onto my own problems without me asking worse than leprosy.

"I can tell you're upset because I'm a people person."

"What gave it away, the fact that I said so two minutes ago or that I just punched a hole through this plasterwork while frowning with my whole fucking face?"

you could get well at reading ppl, just takes skills, time & lots of effort -and some are innately better than others at it

Level 19
You only really know just how bad a person can get, once they experience extreme amounts of stress.

One of my friends seems like a normal guy, his about the same as me except his is more perceptive which scares me sometimes. The only time that I really consider him to be a nut burger is when someone blatantly lies to him. I tell you it is like his mind breaks as he tries to calculate how what this person is saying makes any sense at all. He starts talking to himself and doing calculations in the air like some autistic person. While he never gets violent, I'm guessing if the stress is piled on it might become very unpredictable.

My point is... it is easy to be a nice person when life is good to you, but it takes a real good hearted person to carry on smiling when you are living in hell. Personally when life isn't kind to me, I fear what I might do...

Level 7
You only really know just how bad a person can get, once they experience extreme amounts of stress.

One of my friends seems like a normal guy, his about the same as me except his is more perceptive which scares me sometimes. The only time that I really consider him to be a nut burger is when someone blatantly lies to him. I tell you it is like his mind breaks as he tries to calculate how what this person is saying makes any sense at all. He starts talking to himself and doing calculations in the air like some autistic person. While he never gets violent, I'm guessing if the stress is piled on it might become very unpredictable.

My point is... it is easy to be a nice person when life is good to you, but it takes a real good hearted person to carry on smiling when you are living in hell. Personally when life isn't kind to me, I fear what I might do...

This is a good point, but some of the people I was thinking of while responding to this thread did some horrible things while their life was generally good, I don't see how screwing someone benefited them, helped them, or did anything else of value for them, but they did it anyway. Maybe happiness is subjective, or maybe the individuals I was thinking of are really messed up...idk

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
choke me daddy one two three
photographer-dont-worry-he-wont-hurt-you-elephants-are-actually-19705305.png

Level 5

this is a very good point, but there are plenty of examples i can take from my own experience where a person clearly crossed the line without there having been any stress (or at least stress that I knew of)

Level 3
This is a good point, but some of the people I was thinking of while responding to this thread did some horrible things while their life was generally good, I don't see how screwing someone benefited them, helped them, or did anything else of value for them, but they did it anyway. Maybe happiness is subjective, or maybe the individuals I was thinking of are really messed up...idk

Somebody was angry at the world and tried to "get back" or "get even" ??

Level 7
Somebody was angry at the world and tried to "get back" or "get even" ??

It would make sense if there was something done to them or something they perceived was an injustice has been perpetrated, but nothing of the sorts had happened, they were not on drugs as far as I know of, only think that would make sense is mental illness....but I tend to agree with Reon in that maybe the person must've been a complete pos.

Level 7
As far as I know: YES

Some of them did a whole laundry list of shady deeds; and those are just the things I'm aware of, I'm sure they did much more awful stuff

Level 5
this topic is about individuals who suddenly went off the rail, not psychopaths who always had problems

Level 3
Im sure if you knew every person like that you could determine a point where his "pathology" began, I dont believe anyone was born evil, they somehow became that way, at least that's how I see it from my end.

Level 7
I was thinking about this today, and the only reasonable explanation besides mental illness or drug use is that the person was basically a doormatt for someone at some time before, then decided to take it out on someone else, but even them this particular understanding of the situation does not explain away some of the instances I've seen or heard about happen irl, maybe Reon is right; some people are just complete pos...

Level 5
The person I was referring to in my original post was never a doormat for anybody, neither were some of the others who did similar things

@TheLordOfChaos201 's explanation would have be sufficient if their lives were bad but that was not the case at all -they just somehow changed into total POSes ...maybe drugs or mental illness -however i have doubts it was either

@Lord Esdin : in your opinion do you honestly think it was mental illness in that instance you mentioned ?????

Level 7
After giving this subject matter some thought, I don't think the person I mentioned had mental illness; it just doesn't look like mental illness in any way once you examine it in detail. I actually spend some time reading up on NPD or Narcissistic Personality disorder, just now, and the person I mentioned would not fit all the criterion, nor can the disorder really characterize him or his actions. Psychopathy is a general term, I mean people just use it to describe anybody who does something which they consider really inappropriate. Anti-social personality, well no, the person had friends, don't really think they liked him much, but it wasn't that. You were right in saying the person was a POS, I think at some point he realized he could get away with things as long as he has the right excuse after the fact, or simply ditch a social group for some time until they are no longer angry with him. I remember way before this whole thing started he used to talk major thrash about others for no apparent reason, I mean people who did nothing against him in any way.

Here is a list of what the things the person did so you can judge for yourself (some of these are repeats of the things I mentioned in my previous reply)

beat up some guy, later gave the excuse that the person he beat up was harassing some girl, I think he went to jail for this one

talked major thrash behind one of his close friends back for no reason

basically used a person to get money while pretending to be his friend

took his mom's car for a joyride while having a suspended license, crashed the car on 2 occasions, both times told the investigators the car was stolen

punched several people for no reason while his friends were around so they wouldn't try to fight him back

attempted to punch or wrestle a person who was a lot more stronger than him and got beaten up badly in the process

walked around with a pocket knife going down the street and slashing every car's tires on it

tried instigating a fight between 2 people over a minor disagreement

succeeded in instigating a fight between 2 people - he did not get anything out of it

beat up some old guy, later came up with an excuse to why he did it -again did not benefit him in any way

tried to get one person to sue his friend over some minor scuffle -the person never sued but this would not benefit him in any way

These are only the things that I am aware of, I'm sure there's more, but you can see the general pattern, in most of these actions he hurts someone while not really benefiting much and @TheLordOfChaos201 as far as I know he was not having a bad life

Level 7
I'm 100% certain that he didn't do coke or other drugs when this behavior started, but I hung with him less and less as time went on, so who knows, but there was never a time when he did drugs in front of me, mentioned doing drugs in front of me, or say anything else about doing drugs that I've heard about; that's why I doubt that drugs were the cause.

Level 5
I'm 100% certain that he didn't do coke or other drugs when this behavior started, but I hung with him less and less as time went on, so who knows, but there was never a time when he did drugs in front of me, mentioned doing drugs in front of me, or say anything else about doing drugs that I've heard about; that's why I doubt that drugs were the cause.

But where there any indications that he mightve been taking drugs on the dl? like strange behaviors, paranoid thoughts, withdrawl symptoms?

Level 7
Not anything I can remember, I honestly don't think it was drugs, no one from my then social circle really messed around with anything at that point

Level 28
I dunno my best friend managed to hide his cocaine addiction from me for a year until he admitted doing it (that was when my own abuse started) so it's entirely possible.
Anotehr thing I could bring up is this new feeling of anxiety everyone seems to have.
People are unsatisfied with their lives - some hide it and some get a crack in their heads and feel like wanting to demolish stuff to cope with their own situation.
Family issues maybe?
That shit can fuck one up real hard.

Last edited:
Level 7
Here is a list of what the things the person did so you can judge for yourself
A lot of that just sounds like a "breaking into your twenties" kind of deal. Some people have their teenage revolution way later in life, and it's always a bit wilder because you've got different circumstances and more leeway to try out your wings.

Level 7
@Squiggy honestly if he did drugs he was really good at hiding it because I'm unaware of anything like that to this day, as far as family issues, I think it seems like he was the one with the issues, especially from hindsight

@Feng Shui this behavior is normal?

Level 7
Not exactly normal, but not unheard of. Especially the overbearing machismo is pretty telling. Figuring shit out takes different shapes in different people.

Doesnt exactly make sense because I believe he kept getting into legal trouble further down the line, it wasn't a thing that occured and then stopped, I believe it kept going, and again these are only the things I'm aware of

Status
Not open for further replies.